Exploring Original D&D Boxed Sets With Jon Peterson

D&D historian Jon Peterson has created a 10-minute video all about 1974's OD&D (original D&D), it various printings, and its history. "Jon Peterson visits with Bill Meinhardt to explore the original boxed set editions of Dungeons & Dragons sold by TSR in the mid-1970s. This video explains how Dungeons & Dragons first went to market and identifies the differences between early printings of the game."

D&D historian Jon Peterson has created a 10-minute video all about 1974's OD&D (original D&D), it various printings, and its history. "Jon Peterson visits with Bill Meinhardt to explore the original boxed set editions of Dungeons & Dragons sold by TSR in the mid-1970s. This video explains how Dungeons & Dragons first went to market and identifies the differences between early printings of the game."

[video=youtube;sQlA6oAyLXg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQlA6oAyLXg&feature=youtu.be[/video]​

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Great stuff. Sadly I have the non-collectible collectible version.

Also interesting to see how long the game had "hobbit" in it.

lyle.spade

Adventurer
Interesting. And I now know, because of it, that I have either the 5th, 6th, or 7th editions, because of the different Men & Magic cover, and the fact that my books have halflings, not Hobbits.

I do, however have four add'l softcover books, always kept in the same box, which are each thicker than the three rulebooks. They are titled 'Greyhawk,' 'Blackmoor,' 'Eldritch Wizardry,' and 'Gods, Demigods, and Heroes.' Those reference Hobbits. I'd love to get in contact with the historian guy to see what he thinks of those four books - they're copyrighted 1976 but I've never seen them anywhere else. I got the set from my brothers when they stopped playing the game...I'm the one who carried the banner from then forth.

Does anyone know if Bill Meinhardt is an ENWorld member?

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
I do, however have four add'l softcover books, always kept in the same box, which are each thicker than the three rulebooks. They are titled 'Greyhawk,' 'Blackmoor,' 'Eldritch Wizardry,' and 'Gods, Demigods, and Heroes.' Those reference Hobbits. I'd love to get in contact with the historian guy to see what he thinks of those four books - they're copyrighted 1976 but I've never seen them anywhere else. I got the set from my brothers when they stopped playing the game...I'm the one who carried the banner from then forth.
If you'd like to find out a bit more about Supplements I-IV, this link is a good starting point. It sounds like you have first or second prints of them.

WackyAnne

First Post

Extra Note: The versions of 0E up on dndclassics are updated to the 6th+ edition, and don't include the original covers. The PDFs are those of the special box set that WotC released in between 4E & 5E, while working away on the playtest, D&D Next. All those updated, "collectible" reissues helped bring in revenue and keep the brand alive on store bookshelves (=good for WotC) while gamers got to pick up older edition material at better prices and/or better shape than could be found tracking down the originals (=good for gamers).

Remove ads

Remove ads