D&D 5E New Show From WOTC - Dice, Camera, Action!

Tesla's Ghost

First Post
Barovia awaits four brave adventurers in this live play-through of Curse of Strahd.
The D&D team, along with some friends from the YouTube and Twitch community, is kicking off a new, ongoing livestream of Dungeons & Dragons, titled Dice, Camera, Action!
DCA is a live play-through of D&D’s latest storyline—Curse of Strahd to begin—run by Dungeon Master extraordinaire, Chris Perkins.
Sessions are every Tuesday, starting March 8, from 4 PM to 6 PM (PST) and streamed on twitch.tv/wotc_dnd.

Official Announcement On WOTC DnD Site

XT1erminator

First Post
When I first heard about this, I was super pumped. Then I heard they'd be using Curse of Strahd - not so pumped. Well, pumped for the show definitely, just not using CoS. Not that soon leading up to the release anyhow.

I'm not going to want to watch that before running the campaign myself, there'd be no point buying the book and my players may have too much spoiled by watching the series. Bummer. Maybe they'll use elements of CoS and not follow it "by the book".

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
Agreed. They should do a play through of an older adventure. But in any event I hope the production values are good. Their play through of LMoP was dire!

SigmaOne

First Post
So far all the WotC playthroughs have become available on Youtube.

I too wish they would do something other than the published adventures. I can't watch Strahd because I'll play it some day. I have to watch Out of the Abyss secretly because my wife is a player in my campaign. I think they do it because they want the "common story" thing, but I'm not a big fan. They should wait at least 6 months after the release before filming playthroughs of adventures. And more generally, I'd like to see them do homebrew --- non-spoiler --- stuff like critical role and most other streamers.

pedr

Explorer
Will this be available on youtube? I'm based in Europe, and watching the stream is not feasible for me.
By default (I think) Twitch broadcasts are available to rewatch on demand from the Past Broadcasts link on a streamer's profile page. The streamer can delete them (and, perhaps, limit access to paying subscribers etc) but I've been able to watch most WotC videos between broadcast and them being uploaded to YouTube. It's often harder or not possible from some mobile devices, though - using a full computer will likely be easier.

Curmudjinn

Explorer
The issues with current adventures is odd. If you're going to DM it, watch it. If you're going to play in it, wait until after you've played in it. If you're -meh- about the adventure, watch it.

We can also watch it before playing in it and simply not metagame.

delericho

Legend
When I first heard about this, I was super pumped. Then I heard they'd be using Curse of Strahd - not so pumped. Well, pumped for the show definitely, just not using CoS. Not that soon leading up to the release anyhow.

Yeah, it's a difficult one. I get that they want to advertise their latest adventure, and rightly so. But by showing a play-through they're actively reducing the utility of their product - a DM is surely less inclined to run it (and thus buy it) if his players have ready access to spoilers.

Perhaps they'd be better running one of the AL adventures for the upcoming season instead? That way they show something feeding into the current season, without spoiling their big story.

Or maybe it just doesn't affect sales enough to matter. Realistically, knowing my players are likely to have seen this isn't going to significantly impact on my decision (not) to buy this adventure.

Yeah, it's a difficult one. I get that they want to advertise their latest adventure, and rightly so. But by showing a play-through they're actively reducing the utility of their product - a DM is surely less inclined to run it (and thus buy it) if his players have ready access to spoilers.

Perhaps they'd be better running one of the AL adventures for the upcoming season instead? That way they show something feeding into the current season, without spoiling their big story.

Or maybe it just doesn't affect sales enough to matter. Realistically, knowing my players are likely to have seen this isn't going to significantly impact on my decision (not) to buy this adventure.

If players are going to look for spoilers for an adventure they can easily do that without watching this. I'm sure I could spoil a whole heap of any of the 5E WotC adventures just by reading threads on EN World, let alone other stuff on the Internet.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases