D&D 5E Curse of Strahd is number 1....

ccs

41st lv DM
Shocking.
I'm sensing a pattern here: Every few months WoTC releases another book. And for a few weeks it sits on top of Amazons best seller lists.
I'm going to go out on a limb & predict this'll also happen with the book they put out after CoS....

Looks like Curse of Strahd dipped to #2 in the list when Amazon dropped the price of the PHB to 46% off. I imagine this sale is resulting in player's restocking, gifting, and older players returning to D&D. Not to mention, when the price drops it allows people to "risk" starting a new game since it will be much cheaper. The low cost of the Start Set resulted in many groups in my area switching from Mathfinder to try out 5e.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Shocking.
I'm sensing a pattern here: Every few months WoTC releases another book. And for a few weeks it sits on top of Amazons best seller lists.
I'm going to go out on a limb & predict this'll also happen with the book they put out after CoS....

It would be amazing if WotC managed to get a book on the top of Amazon's best seller list every few months. Amazing.

Not actually the pattern.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Strahd's is still #2 for fantasy gaming, and #1 for hot new releases. Overall sales is ~250. I think its doing better the the other adventures, which have not really done that well compared to the core books.

Right now the PHB remains #1 for fantasy gaming, as it has for several months, with overall sales in between 100 and 200. Maybe Strahd can still displace it.

Bad Fox

First Post
On Amazon's Fantasy Gaming "Hot New Releases".

Ok, not such a big deal. But it is still in preorder, and is doing well so far, especially compared to everything that is not a core book.

We will see how it goes.

This is cool for you to have pointed out, as there's probably more on the line with CoS than there has been with other 5E releases. As this is the first time WotC has tried putting out a setting-specific product that doesn't take place in the Forgotten Realms, I think it's likely that Wizards will put additional significance on the sales numbers.

Depending on if it performs weaker or stronger relative to other 5E adventures, the release schedule is infrequent enough that Mearls & Co. might easily change things up. CoS might make it so that other settings become more or less heavily represented as 5E moves forward.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
[MENTION=6794761]Bad Fox[/MENTION] absolutely. It does seem to be selling well compared to the other adventures. It is doing about as well as SCAG did early on. If it out performs SCAG, then that definitely sends a message.

Bad Fox

First Post
[MENTION=6794761]Bad Fox[/MENTION] absolutely. It does seem to be selling well compared to the other adventures. It is doing about as well as SCAG did early on. If it out performs SCAG, then that definitely sends a message.

I really hope it's doing well. For those of us that want to see settings outside of the Forgotten Realms represented, CoS selling like hotcakes seems like our best shot.

I expect that selling about the same as the other adventures (or even just a little bit better), wouldn't raise too many eyebrows at WotC. A big jump in sales, though - that would probably shake things up.

Nickolaidas

Explorer

A mixed message, at best. On one hand, it sends the message that people don't simply want Forgotten Realms and would like to play on other settings as well. On the other hand, it also sends the 'don't make gazeteers or supplementary rule books, keep making adventure paths' message which I can't say I like. I love adventures, but this edition needs some serious campaign setting, monster and supplementary (i.e. naval combat, army combat, kingdom buildding) rule books - pronto!

Bad Fox

First Post
A mixed message, at best. On one hand, it sends the message that people don't simply want Forgotten Realms and would like to play on other settings as well. On the other hand, it also sends the 'don't make gazeteers or supplementary rule books, keep making adventure paths' message which I can't say I like. I love adventures, but this edition needs some serious campaign setting, monster and supplementary (i.e. naval combat, army combat, kingdom buildding) rule books - pronto!

I don't see that successful CoS sales would lessen the chances of us getting non-adventure sourcebooks. Good sales for one product doesn't translate to "don't try selling anything besides this type of product." If anything, I think that really amazing CoS sales might even cause WotC to consider adding campaign sourcebooks to their release schedule (mind you, those would probably have to be pretty incredible numbers).

I'd expect that sales data from DM's Guild would be much more likely to factor into how interested Wizards becomes in releasing non-adventure sourcebooks.

Remove ads