Faerie Fire too powerful

Mournblade94

Adventurer
and if your party has no Druid, nor Bard...no faerie fire for your group.

Also note, Bard get's a limited amount of spells, taking this situational spell as one of the three 1st level spells known ( odds of not choosing a 2nd level spell occuring) would be rare

Or light Domain Cleric

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
If you always have high level spell slots available to you, then that is indicative of not being challenged.

Level 7 you have 4 level 3+ available. If he just used one per combat that takes him through 4 combats. (Which is getting near the max that most people see in a given adventuring day). However, his chosen spells also last an hour. Due to how combats are spaced out in a longer adventuring day it's very likely that even if he were in a longer adventuring day that he would have the higher level spell slots on most days to meet that challenge.

Now if we here a bard as opposed to a Druid - you might have a point.

Last edited:

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Faerie Fire provides advantage to all combat rolls for the entire party. This is far too powerful for a first level spell, and very imbalancing. Why should an attacker get advantage simply because the defender is glowing? It shouldn't make the hit significantly easier.

The reason I don't call faerie fire good is that

2. It can flat out miss
3. Even when it don't miss it can no effect (no would be misses turn to hits or crits)
4. Even when it doesn't miss it can have minimal effect (only a single would be miss turns to a hit or crit)
5. The chance of no to minimal effects occurring is fairly high
6. In hard fights there are better concentration slots.
7. In easy fights you likely will have as much impact with your scaling cantrip attack.

The only all the time circumstance where faerie fire is potentially very powerful is if your party is making great use of the -5/+10 feats. Then and only then is their accuracy low enough that advantage really benefits and their damage high enough that turning even 1 miss into a hit is a huge gain.

TBeholder

Explorer
What are you referring to? AFAIK they haven't changed a thing about it, and it's functionally superior to earlier edition versions of the spell.
I don't know what you call "functionally superior", but —
AD&D*: Made it actually useful, increased range from 60 to 80 yd, and reduced duration from 10× to 4×CL rds.
3.x: Unborked AoE, but in the way that made it single-target without being targeted (most of the time); gave it huge range, but reduced duration to 1 rd×CL.
3.5 to 5: made it "concentration" and reduced range (down to OD&D value). And gave it a saving throw.

Ashrym

Legend
There's too much competition for the concentration slot on a spell with the main benefit being advantage on attacks.

It's a spell I rarely take.

Remove ads