New short-run adventure, need help

Soultpp

Explorer
So I am planning to venture into DMing a little. The adventure is mostly just a dungeon run through undead filled catacombs, nothing fancy or original and nothing long term.

I am thinking to start my group way at level 1 but I'm not experienced enough to figure out how many skeletons and zombies to put in their path. Likely I expect them to get to 3rd, maybe 4th level by the end as I do want the place packed.

Now the first problem here is my own inexperience, the next is my group. They're not nearly as familiar with any system as I am and they seem a tad apathetic toward even learning beyond the basics they already know.

So there is that and why I am here. I need a little help in the planning, if only a general suggestion on numbers/frequency. They are not going to get much chance to restock though they may have chances to rest if they are clever.

If anyone had some catacomb maps that they could share, that would be awesome as well, but not strictly necessary I can probably find a decent enough generator somewhere for this.

Just for clarity, most undead will be absolutely base type, few with weapons even. There will be one or two 2hd varieties with better gear, just to act as milestone points.

Hmm, I may through in one or two other undead too, like a ghoul or ghast, if I feel they need it. Which they might.

I don't know what everyone will make as characters yet as I have only just started planning, and only told one person of the group thus far, so that is another uncertainty.

Thoughts?

Gilladian

Adventurer
I would start with animal skeletons and zombies, then move to humanoid ones. But 3-4 levels of generic undead seems fairly boring. I'd bump your pcs to 2nd level quite quickly, after maybe 3-5 fights, and start introducing more interesting critters. Maybe vermin or oozes could also inhabit your catacombs. And make sure you add features like tight passages, high ledges, crumbling or jagged rock areas, etc to spice things up. And why omit weapons? If the pcs are not going to get a chance to restock, then upgrading via treasure will be important. 3e relies a lot on PCs being properly geared-up, even at low levels.

Soultpp

Explorer
I would start with animal skeletons and zombies, then move to humanoid ones. But 3-4 levels of generic undead seems fairly boring. I'd bump your pcs to 2nd level quite quickly, after maybe 3-5 fights, and start introducing more interesting critters. Maybe vermin or oozes could also inhabit your catacombs. And make sure you add features like tight passages, high ledges, crumbling or jagged rock areas, etc to spice things up. And why omit weapons? If the pcs are not going to get a chance to restock, then upgrading via treasure will be important. 3e relies a lot on PCs being properly geared-up, even at low levels.

I had thought about animals initially and may give them the initial 'wave of rats' or something, but these are burial catacombs, people do not usually use them for animals. If it were on the surface in/near a graveyard then maybe there could be a small pet cemetery attached. There may be a few other things about, but most critters, even monsters, of appropriate level tend to have an aversion to undeath. Still I can try a little spice now and then. Tight passages will work as it will probably largely be tunnels, but I don't think high ledges are likely ever incorporated in catacombs used for burial. As for restock en route, there will be a little of that, but since I don't incorporate rules for breaking of weapons, the only things they need keep stock of are ammo and, if I decide to really punish them, food/water. Its just that most people, other than a famous warrior or noble, are not usually buried with much more than a funeral shroud. There will be a few warriors still using weapons, notably one or two with maces or other bludgeoning things since they may not think of DR when character building. Still I won't through away any suggestions out of hand so everything you suggest will be considered.

Why is that?

Basically, they seem to operate under the belief that the rules get in the way of the game. At times I don't disagree with them, but I do feel one should know a system well, and that familiarity with the system can allow the game to flow much faster/better regardless of which system. I'm working on them though, and they're still fun to hang/play with or I would not bother. I think a lot of their attitude is just that I can absorb a system so fast that they just rely on me to keep the rules straight.

Soultpp

Explorer
Doesn't matter the system. They just are not 'rules' people. They are familiar enough with 3.5 to play in it, just that finer details and extensive character creation is something they don't think much about. They are much more likely to play mono-class and stuff is mostly what I mean, you would never find them trying to work out complicated gish builds for example, you may see one work towards a prestige class now and then, but that is mostly it. Even my own creation is fairly simplistic compared to some of the 5-7 class builds I've seen online. That and they are much more willing to fudge the rules rather than spend a few seconds to look at a book to check on it, which I agree is okay at times. I'm sure it sounds much worse in print than it actually is. Most of the group do get familiar enough with a system to play in it after a bit, its just that they miss a lot of the finer points in favor of wanting to get into the action right away.

Remove ads