D&D 5E What are some good magical items for a level 1 character?

Slit518

Adventurer
What are some good low power magical items for a level 1 character?

I ask this because a campaign I run, each character starts with 1 unique magical item that they wear. These items usually grant a little bit of power, such as +2 squares (10 feet) of movement, +4 HP, +1 attack, etc... I would like a list and suggestions for some magical items a character could have at level 1 similar to these.

Thanks in advance!

Oofta

Legend
Is none an option? You want people to give people the sense of growth and attainment, if they start out with extra stuff it can take away some of the fun of getting things later on.

But if you're sold on the idea I would consider a couple of options. First, is to have little or no mechanical benefit. Yes, they have a magic flute that plays by itself and could be useful as a distraction in specific scenarios but it's mostly just a fun knick-knack.

Second is have something that grows with the character. They've inherited a magical sword that glows slightly in the dark. As the character grows in power, so does the sword until eventually it's a paladin's holy avenger. Or perhaps it's a pair of plain looking gloves that tingle slightly around treasure and eventually become gloves of thievery.

When coming up with items like this think of what it is you are trying to accomplish. If it's something special it won't be just a +1 to this stat or a simple mechanical benefit, it will have some way of adding fun RP opportunity to the game or character depth.

I agree with Oofta. None is best. Second, the items you mention are not low level. +10 movement is actually a pretty big bonus. So are +4 HP or +1 attack (after all, that's the same bonus as +1 magic weapon).

Go with what Oofta suggests, family heirlooms that don't provide a mechanical benefit. Search the forums and the internet for "trinkets" or similar. They can be things like mentioned before, or things simple like a 'sundial' that doesn't need the sun to tell time. An unbreakable rope, a flask that when filled with dirty water makes it clean water, a figurine of a bird that sings when tipped over...

Let the players earn their rewards, it makes them more valuable.

Slit518

Adventurer
That is why I asked for suggestions. I didn't really feel like handing out too many mechanical benefits, but if I had to, I would.

Cernor

Explorer
If they're going to be starting with magic items (given magic items are generally a Big Deal in 5e), why not go big? The Paladin starts with a Holy Avenger, the Rogue has a Ring of Invisibility, the wizard has a Robe of the Archmagi, and the Barbarian has a Vorpal Greatsword. They slaughter their way through any foe who dares stand up to them; gaining a few levels, saving a kingdom or two, then... Their items are stolen in the night.

Spend the next 6 months of campaigning chasing the thief across the world, getting tantalizingly close but always falling behind just enough for the thief to escape. Let them get level-appropriate loot and toss it aside "because it isn't my Overpowered Freebie (TM)!". As their desperation builds, and the players spiral into alcoholism to cope with the mind-numbing loss of their cool stuff, let them catch the thief and reveal the bad news: (S)he pawned the items years ago for a couple of beers, and has been running ever since because of the party's reputation for righteous/despotic vengeance.

Or you can do what [MENTION=6801845]Oofta[/MENTION] said, that's probably a more sane option. Fluff items which do interesting things are generally more fun than +speed/damage/saves, and given that 5e magic items are supplementary bonuses (rather than built-in to the game's math), you can be perfectly capable without them until level 8 or so, when nearly everything resists non-magical weapon damage.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Magic items that do what a cantrip does, but only a few times a day, can be cool and effective. Like the canteen mentioned above emulates an older version of the Create Holy Water spell.

I liked the 4e Basket of Everlasting Provisions, and for flavor* - where the fun part comes in - describe a 'theme' for the food it provides.
- Basket with a holy symbol on top provides 'kosher' food on religious holidays
- food from a beat-up old Basket has bits and chips missing out of it, like the food was dropped from the cupboard to the tabletop. Also puts out a bunch of crumbs from time to time.
- Elven-made Basket provides a lot of vegetarian meals
- Dwarven-made Basket provides weak ale, not water, in most cases
- Food has something to do with the regional climate: venison in forests, roast beef in civilized areas, unidentifiable jerky in the desert

* pun intended

Last edited:

What are some good low power magical items for a level 1 character?

I ask this because a campaign I run, each character starts with 1 unique magical item that they wear. These items usually grant a little bit of power, such as +2 squares (10 feet) of movement, +4 HP, +1 attack, etc... I would like a list and suggestions for some magical items a character could have at level 1 similar to these.

Thanks in advance!

A rope that turns to steel whenever you are holding it.

Also, check out some of the tables listed here: http://hackslashmaster.blogspot.com/2011/03/on-never-being-able-to-find-table-when.html

Last edited:

sydbar

Explorer
I am in a human only, no magic till a character finds out about it, and other races are just fairy tales campaign. All of us start with a a "legacy" item which is basically a masterwork item that can be enchanted, if we find out about magic.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
All of us start with a a "legacy" item which is basically a masterwork item that can be enchanted
That actually sounds like a fun concept*. Hopefully your DM can follow through on it.

* despite using 3e terms that did not make the transition to 4e or 5e

TwinPeaksGuy

Explorer
Ideas for characters at level 1-3:

There's a table on DMG pg 143 of minor quirks. Pick one of those. An earring with the guardian property, adding +2 to initiative, is both worth it and an opportunity for cool RP with the players (The earring can whisper little warnings like "Duck now" or "They've arrived").

If your item is a weapon, add the quality "counts as a magical weapon for the purpose of overcoming resistance and immunity to nonmagical attacks and damage" but make it a +0 to hit or to damage. Maybe also give a weapon one of the quirks from pg 143, or maybe not. Maybe using it gives a player one of the 3-4 bullet points for a feat, but certainly not the whole feat.

pre-Silvered weapons. They overcome resistance for a significant list of creatures, worth it for many campaigns.

Items that allow the owner to cast one of the following cantrips of your choosing: Light, prestidigitation, druidcraft, thaumaturgy, spare the dying, mage hand, minor illusion, mending. Several races get a cantrip right out of the box, and those are all way more utility than combat affecting.

Items that give a single racial ability from a race other than the character using it. Examples: give a stout halfling rogue a cloak that gives the Mask of the Wild wood elf racial feature. Or give a human a wooly hat that gives them the equivalent of the Mountain Born racial trait for Goliaths.

Unusual materials. Like a shield made from bulette carapace and hickory, or a golden dragon scale. It's still the same +2 to AC as a simple wooden shield, but maybe the druid likes it better. Maybe you have a breastplate made from hook horror carapace, thus becoming usable for a druid (and your druid may be glad to keep that one well past 5th level).

Last edited:

Remove ads