Fantasy Grounds Usage Stats Are In - 5E, Pathfinder, 3.5, Savage Worlds, then Star Wars!

The most recent usage stats for Smiteworks' Fantasy Grounds are in! With the caveat that Fantasy Grounds is the officially licensed D&D 5E virtual tabletop, the stats don't tell a vastly different story to the quarter's stats from The Orr Group's Roll20 system except that D&D's lead is a little more pronounced as you'd expect. D&D 5E leads with 53% of games, with Pathfinder following up at 14%, D&D 3.5 at 9%; the big difference is that on FG we then have Savage Worlds at 6%. The various Star Wars games are combined to make up 2% of games played in the last year.

RulesetUsage2015_12310_image001.png

RulesetUsage2014_17990_image001.png

It's worth noting that these stats are for the last 12 months, not just the last quarter. Smiteworks' Doug Davison told me "I updated the numbers for the last 12 months. I then removed any entry for a game that only had 30 games in a month and consolidated a few variants into a single entry - such as with Star Wars. I realize that D6, EotE and Saga are all substantially different, but it seems like the best way to represent those."

Screen Shot 2016-04-29 at 16.17.02.png

flametitan

Explorer
I noticed D&D 5e had a jump of about 5k games between December and January.

I wonder if that was caused by the release of SRD 5?

smiteworks

Explorer
These numbers are from DM's who use the Fantasy Grounds alias system. It doesn't account for people who use direct IP connections, but if they run 4 instances of that game in a month, it will count as 4 entries.

smiteworks

Explorer

There were a couple things going on around then, but it is quite possible. The OGL was announced and then we released the SRD content within Fantasy Grounds on January 13. We had a lot of people holding out on trying D&D 5E or Fantasy Grounds due to the cost of picking up the core material if they already owned the books. We had a lot of new users come in after that and they could get an idea for what they were actually getting in a module and the majority of those users stayed with it afterward.

ddaley

Explorer
It appears that all of the systems had an uptick from Dec to Jan. Over the last year, it appears that D&D 3.5 and 4 are on the decline. Wonder if part of the uptick for 5 is people moving off of those older editions to 5.

Chimpy

First Post
Roll20 supports the FFG Star Wars dice roller via google hangouts, I suspect Fantasy Grounds does not have a dice roller for it.

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases