What areas exist in your world?

blackshirt5

First Post
OK, I was just wondering, since I'm sitting here working on my homebrew, what areas exist in your worlds? Specifically, do you have areas analogous to real-world civilizations, and if so, what are they?

For the record, I've got an area kinda like Medieval Europe(hasn't been named yet, the players just refer to it by the names of the different countries; however, I've been debating attaching the name Consoltian to it); I'm using Nyambe for Africa; The East is a huge land, of which Rokugan is but a part of it; and then there's the as-yet unnamed Far West, which will be a free land, similar to the Americas when the Native Americans lived here.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
The Yuan Empire (Post-Genghis Mongol Empire) is the largest part of the Northern continent imc and extends from the Sea of Storms westward to the Dravoi Lands (Eastern Europe). The Yuan EMpire has its capital at Ti'en the City of Heaven

Across the Straights of Alba from Dravoi is Cruithne (sort of Celtic Britain-cum-Western Europe). The people of Cruithne are split into three groups - the Nemed of the North and West are divided into warring clans, the swamp dwelling lowlanders of 'the Tays' live in semi independent villages along the River Tay and the River Cymry. The Cymry are the Third group and the most 'Feudal-like' of the cultures having Knights and Castles.

Off the Eastern coast of Yuan is the Island of Khitai (SE Asia/Imdia) dominated by the Khmer and Chalda (Indian). South of Yuan is the Great Desert of Indehan (Central Asia/Middle East) which includes the 12 Cities of the Khali-Magra, the Nation of the Esharites and Bishnagar largest city in the world and center of global trade.

South of Indehan is the Continent of Anziko (Antedilluvian Africa - dominanted by a gigantic fresh water sea). Significantly influenced by legends of the Medieval Africa Empires - Mali, Kanem-Boru, Songhay, Axum and Hausa.

South East of Khitai is found the Many Islands of Hawaikinui (Polynesia) where my current campaign is set.

A currently Undefined Continent (An-Huaca) and long narrow island (Tolton) lie east of Hawaiki.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
My world is fantasy Europe city states. North is a viking clanish area and to the east American Plains (horse) Indian/nomad tribes. The west is the sea, controlled by the Elfs, which for the most part is a pirate life (families have island bases but sail the seas, controlling it with an iron fist).

Emirikol

Adventurer
Hyboria

We game in Hyboria (of Conan) so we pretty much have it all:

Aquilonia: Holy Roman
Nemedia: Germany
Brythunia: Early Britton
Zingara: Spain/Italy
Argos: Greece
Koth: Poland
Stygia: Egypt
Black Kingdoms and Kush: Africa
Vendyha: India
Iranistan and Turan: Middle east
Khitai: China/Cathay
Kamboulja: S.E. Asia
Hyrkania: Mongols
Asgard & Vanaheim: Vikings
Hyperborea: exactly..but with necromancers

Em

fusangite

First Post
Wow! It sounds like you guys create much bigger worlds than I do. I find that if I make a world that large and culturally diverse, it makes my main problem, that of getting PCs to absorb their culture and act within its customs and ideology, even harder.

I guess one of my worlds is vaguely like what the Byzantine Empire was between 550 and 630. But then, the analogy is very poor. It's also like Eriador after the annihilation of Arnor, which is problematic as it is not like the 7th century or 10th century Britain and Gaul on which Arnor appears to be based.

The other, not much to compare it to. It's an ice age.

Blackshirt 5, if you're interested in help/resources for making your far West land, let me know. I've done a lot of work in the past on North American RP.

MarauderX

Explorer
Yeah, I have all of the medieval regions in my setting as well. The PCs are in the typical 'European' setting, with an isolated 'Far East' over a mountain range that they are aware of and wastelands & deserts to the south. The north has glacial barriers and the west is the great sea.

Beyond each of these boundries lies a separate world of sorts, and once I manage to lay out each they will get to adventure there frequently.

Call it boring, but it keeps things simple and even the fighter player can follow what is where without being reminded by a crude map.

Mallus

Legend
My current setting centers around a league of far-flung city-states which either correspond or conflate some real world cultures.

Eris is ur-Imperial capital; Rome, Babylon, New York, maybe a bit of Czarist Moscow.

Gallina is a Venice from the Renaissance stuck in the caldera of a volcano.

Narrayan is sort of a French/Indian fusion. A port city ruled by merchants and lawyers.

Hannikum is kinda Aztec/Islamic {with a good deal of voodoo thrown in}; an ostensibly monotheistic theocratic city complete with ziggurats, slaves, and human sacrifice --oh, and domesticated dinosaurs.

Osamu-Ishii is Asian-themed. A mix of Polynesian, Japanese, and wuxia-films

shadow

First Post
Well my homebrew that I'm still developing is very Western Medieval. I figure if I want to do fantasy Asia, I'll do historical Asia with a touch of magic, not Rokugan.
However, I do have a few distant areas in my campaign that deviate from the Western European norm:
1. Naðor-A frozen kingdom located (literally) at the ends of the earth. The inhabitants are a hardy race of men (loosely) based on Scandinavian cultures as well as tribes of "barbarians" which are (very loosely) based on Inuit and native Siberian cultures

2. A desert kingdom which I haven't named yet-It's kind of a cross between Arabian and Spanish culture (kind of like Moorish Spain). The land contains some of the biggest cities of the world as well as riches and decadence.

3. The Lands of the East-Very mysterious oriental kingdoms. Because they are seperated from the main continent by thousands of miles of wasteland, there is little contact between the Lands of the East and the West. Travelers who have been there describe a very "exotic" and different culture. Unlike the West, where magic is feared and despised, it is practically venerated in the East. Unlike the main religion of the West, a monotheistic church, the people of the East practice a animistic and transendental religion. (Although this sounds kind of like fantasy Asia, it is NOT Oriental Adventures. Players can not play Samurai and Ninja from the East. In fact, I don't plan on players going to the "Lands of the East" in my campaign. I don't really have them developed much. They exist mainly for an explanation for the origin of many of the magics and magic items in my campaign.)

Andrew D. Gable

First Post
shadow said:
1. Naðor-A frozen kingdom
Do they eat minstrels there? ;)

MAIN CONTINENT
Dark Hegemony - the 'BOVD' nations ;)
Korthet - French/German/Italian/Spanish
Nordd - Norse
Pearl Coast (Qanin) - Middle East
Thane - Britain (more Celtic than English)
Vastride - Mongol/Native American

OUTLYING AREAS
Adlivun - Inuit/Siberian
Jahtan - Tibetan
Katayinga - Africa
Morderijistan - India/Maya
The Morningstar Isles - Kambujah (SE Asia), Khitai (China), Yozokuri (Japan)

Note that most of these areas are almost completely undeveloped, as most of my campaigns so far have taken place in either Thane or Morningstar Isles.

Last edited:

Remove ads