D&D 5E Guns in your world, and in mine!

Nice, [MENTION=7706]SkidAce[/MENTION]. Looks like the range of the actual weapons is almost double that of the ones in my home brew rules. I think I kind of reduced the ranges of my weaponry to balance it with the range of other siege weapons in 3.5 though. A lot of weapon ranges for firearms, especially in 3.5, are cut in half to work with the combat system.

S'mon

Legend
Nice, [MENTION=7706]SkidAce[/MENTION]. Looks like the range of the actual weapons is almost double that of the ones in my home brew rules. I think I kind of reduced the ranges of my weaponry to balance it with the range of other siege weapons in 3.5 though. A lot of weapon ranges for firearms, especially in 3.5, are cut in half to work with the combat system.

Listed effective ranges tend to be for target shooting, not accurate fire vs a moving target which is what D&D is usually concerned with.

Yaztromo

Explorer
Saw this first on my phone and thought I was giving XP...but apparently I "laughed". No disrespect intended; I meant to XP. This is awesome, and I will check your Barsoom rules out. Glad to hear people are still bringing the old school to D&D.
Don't worry, I like to make people laugh! ;)

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
I have some running "always includes" in my campaigns, and one of those is Gnomepowder. Starting way back in 3.0 the gnomes of my world developed Gnomepowder, which is a fantasy gunpowder that can only be created by gnomes. While anyone can grab a gnomepowder weapon and use it, getting a gnome to cough up a supply of powder to keep the weapon working is a tough sell.

Over time this ongoing include in my campaigns has evolved into the gnomes being invaded and enslaved by the hobgoblins to force them to produce Gnomepowder for their ongoing campaigns of invasion. This has further led to hobgoblins developing a method for creating large batches of Gnomepowder by sacrificing gnomes in the process to provide the racial portion of the magic.

The life of a gnome in my campaigns is a harsh one.

But what about the crunch of the guns? I go simple. I just make Gnomepowder weapons be crossbows mechanically, but with the damage die bumped up to the next one in line.

ScaleyBob

Explorer
In my campaign setting gunpowder comes from two sources - the old fashioned way, which doesn't make very good gunpowder, and tends to be expensive, or a form of semi stabilised Elemental matter, taken directly from the Elemental Chaos and Elemental planes.

Thanks to an easily mastered ritual, and certain machineries, any rift to the element planes can be used to draw out the essence, which is stabilized into a powder, that can be detonated with a simple percussion hammer. Once put into a cartridge, it's said to be perfectly safe. Several Artificers have discovered ways to mass produce the stuff, as well as play around with it composition to create Elementally Infused ammunition. This definitely isn't perfectly safe.

It does have a few major drawbacks, the process leaves large areas of grey, tapped, lifeless matter in the Elemental Planes/Chaos. Something the inhabitants really are not pleased about. The process also isn't as safe as it could be, with several of the Factories that produce the stuff exploding from time to time. Still can't let things like that stand in the way of progress.

Remove ads