PDF versions of OOP products

Staffan

Legend
This might work better in the e-publishing forum, but since it's straddling the line between regular and electronic publishing I'll put it here. I promise I won't be angry if a moderator decides to move it though.

I just noticed that Fiery Dragon's "Queen of Lies" is available as a PDF from RPGNow, put there about half a year after it went out of print. I think this (making OOP stuff available as PDFs) is a splendid idea, and I can't help but wonder why more publishers don't do that - not that it seems to be a common occurence for FDP either given that it's the only one.

I know I don't know all the intricacies of the industry, but I really can't see any reason *not* to make OOP stuff electronically available. Since it's OOP, you don't get the "compete with myself" situation, and presumably most of the work is already done (I don't know how much work is involved in turning "product ready for printing" into "product ready for PDF", but I'm guessing it isn't that much compared to creating the product in the first place).

trancejeremy

Adventurer
Well, really, while most products might go out of print, they can generally be found on ebay or from a reseller. There's probably not a huge demand.

And some products might not be legal anymore. The SRD wasn't officially released until relatively recently, before then products were done under a gentleperson's agreement. Some of the things in the draft version of the SRD aren't in the final, released version, like Mind Flayers, Beholders, Smurfs, Ku-Toa, etc.

In some cases, correcting them might be simple, like removing an NPC. In others, it might be too much of a hassle.

That said, I do think it's a good idea. It's basically found money, and I think in some cases, products are sent to the printer in PDF form..., so making a PDF wouldn't be any extra work (though the size/quality might be reduced).

JoeGKushner

First Post
Several companies, as noted, have done this including Atlas Games.

On the other hand, it's important to remember that several companies also do things the other way. PDF First then print. Are you going to 're-make' the OOP product on PDF once it's print run is dead?

Voadam

Legend
Bastion has started to as well.

And Joe, for your question about pdf starters, if the print version has extras (say like the planned beyond monks one) I wouldn't mind seeing the extras on pdf after it goes OOP.

JohnNephew

First Post
As Joe observes, we at Atlas Games are also going the "OOP as PDF" route. As it happens, the only out of print title in our D20 lineup so far is Thieves in the Forest, which is why that's the only D20 title we have online.

EDIT: Duh, I forgot that Keith Baker's The Ebon Mirror is also out of print and now available as a PDF.

Last edited:

Mystic Eye

First Post
Like Altas, Bastion, Mongoose, and others we have found this to be a great way to keep OOP products circulated. Granted, while we might be officially out, there are copies of the books still floating out there at retailers and Ebay, etc. We also try to do some updates on OOPs that become PDFs as well. We completely revised our first book, Pit of Loch-Durnan when we released it as a PDF to include customer feedback and things we have learned to do better over the past three years.

The Sigil

Mr. 3000 (Words per post)
trancejeremy said:
Well, really, while most products might go out of print, they can generally be found on ebay or from a reseller. There's probably not a huge demand.

And some products might not be legal anymore. The SRD wasn't officially released until relatively recently, before then products were done under a gentleperson's agreement. Some of the things in the draft version of the SRD aren't in the final, released version, like Mind Flayers, Beholders, Smurfs, Ku-Toa, etc.
Yeah, I was quite disappointed when the Smurfs were pulled out of the Final version of the SRD myself. Though I guess WotC did it to protect Peyo's IP. ;)

--The Sigil

Remove ads