D&D 5E Mearl's Book Design Philosophy

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
I'm guessing WOTC figures the market they are focusing on really isn't up in arms about not having tons and tons of material. New gamers for one, and older gamers like the people I play with who despite playing weekly are not digging though books on other nights of the week and honestly have enough material in the PH to play for years and years and really don't care about this issue at all. I don't think Wizards is making decisions based on type of player who posts on forums and reads game books for fun. I think those players are always going to be frustrated by 5e's development philosophy.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Yes, I get that WotC isn't interested in my money or the money of those like me who would like at least SOME support.
I think it's important to note that you do have "SOME support." There's a difference between "some support" and "the specific kind of support I'm looking for."

They also know they'll have your money the moment they release the PHB2 or whatever, and that they can maybe charge a bit more for it than they otherwise would because you'll be thirsty for it when it does come out.

Shasarak

Banned
Banned
They also know they'll have your money the moment they release the PHB2 or whatever, and that they can maybe charge a bit more for it than they otherwise would because you'll be thirsty for it when it does come out.

Maybe people would be thirsty if there was only one drink in town.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I think it's important to note that you do have "SOME support." There's a difference between "some support" and "the specific kind of support I'm looking for."

Not really. Something I'm not going to use isn't support of any kind. It's like offering me support while drowning by throwing a life preserver into the water a mile away.

I doubt it. Given the average lifespan of an edition, if they're offering me a tidbit halfway or more through, I'm not likely to start buying.

hawkeyefan

Legend
Not really. Something I'm not going to use isn't support of any kind. It's like offering me support while drowning by throwing a life preserver into the water a mile away.

Well, no...a better analogy is that the drowning person doesn't want the life preserver because he'd prefer a helicopter rescue.

Some support versus support you would prefer.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Well, no...a better analogy is that the drowning person doesn't want the life preserver because he'd prefer a helicopter rescue.

Some support versus support you would prefer.

No, that's wrong. Support is helpful, not unhelpful like the setting books and adventure paths. If they give me something unhelpful, it's not supportive. Period. Supportive to you =/= supportive to me. You don't get to dictate what is supportive to me and what isn't.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
No, that's wrong. Support is helpful, not unhelpful like the setting books and adventure paths. If they give me something unhelpful, it's not supportive. Period. Supportive to you =/= supportive to me. You don't get to dictate what is supportive to me and what isn't.

WotC doesn't support you or me, they support the game; and they cannot please everyone. If they provide support you don't want but that others do, they are still providing support. Just not aiming to please everyone.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Shasarak said:
Maybe people would be thirsty if there was only one drink in town.
...if you'll only ever drink one thing...

...but if the water's full of life preservers, and you continue to drown because you're not willing to swim a few strokes...

I doubt it. Given the average lifespan of an edition, if they're offering me a tidbit halfway or more through, I'm not likely to start buying.
...and if you're not willing to take the preserver when one lands on you just because it wasn't thrown as fast as you would like...

Cute metaphors are well and good, and you can determine for yourself which products "cut it" and which don't, but it might be worth appreciating what others might want out of the game as important and relevant, too.

hawkeyefan

Legend

Support for a specific person would be conditional...and you said your requests were not conditional. In which case, we're talking about support in the general sense.

When WotC decides to release a book in support of the game, I don't think "Maxperson's View" is one of the parameters they use.

:p

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases