Giants & Orc Gods: More VOLO'S GUIDE Previews!

Some more pages of Volo's Guide to Monsters have hit the web, this time over at Paste Magazine. These pages show off some more material on giants, and some on orcish gods. Be sure to check out their article for some more overview information about the book, as well as previous previews from around the web, including mindflayers and beholders, fire giant dreadnoughts, giant lore, and the book's preface. Volo's Guide to Monsters is a 224-page book containing monsters new to 5E, and in-depth look at a bunch of iconic monsters, and new player races.

Some more pages of Volo's Guide to Monsters have hit the web, this time over at Paste Magazine. These pages show off some more material on giants, and some on orcish gods. Be sure to check out their article for some more overview information about the book, as well as previous previews from around the web, including mindflayers and beholders, fire giant dreadnoughts, giant lore, and the book's preface. Volo's Guide to Monsters is a 224-page book containing monsters new to 5E, and in-depth look at a bunch of iconic monsters, and new player races.

Screen Shot 2016-10-25 at 17.22.49.png

Screen Shot 2016-10-25 at 17.23.21.png

Screen Shot 2016-10-25 at 17.23.43.png

Screen Shot 2016-10-25 at 17.24.04.png

Screen Shot 2016-10-25 at 17.24.32.png

SaveSaveSaveSave
SaveSave

Prakriti

Hi, I'm a Mindflayer, but don't let that worry you
This is shaping up to be a very promising release. I didn't think the orc lore would be useful, but I was wrong. This is already giving me great adventure ideas.

flametitan

Explorer
The Stone giant dreamwalker has lore about the Storm Giant Quintessent on its page, and I want those in my games.

The Quintessent sounds like a fairly great way to model pantheons of more pantheistic worlds.

Juomari Veren

Adventurer
I see this reiterates the Goliath. I wonder if it replaces the EEPC....

Chances are they're putting it to print because it was only in the EEPC thus far, and this'd be the first physical release it comes in. The Genasi was the only race from that that made it into Princes itself, and Deep Gnomes came later on in the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide. Aarakocra will probably find their way into Volo's too if this is the case.

Reinhart

First Post
For a more interesting campaign, replace "when the storm giant dies, its elemental weapons disappear." with "when the storm giant dies, sometimes its consciousness lingers within its elemental weapon, creating an intelligent magical item."

MonkeezOnFire

Adventurer
A storm giant that rejects death and decided to become a literal force of nature? That's awesome.

Also it's "lair" seems to be anywhere within the storm area. Which means it's lair is actually itself. Maybe we'll get an updated Terrasque that has lair actions that affect creatures in its belly.

Surely being swallowed by a Tarresque should result in an entirely separate combat for that player, where he takes on the critters inside the beast's belly? :D

EthanSental

Legend
Supporter
Paste Magazine? I dont think I'l ever get used to the social media craze and insta "magazines" that get created on the web or the fact people host a web show for 4300 viewers and think they are a star....but I digress :)

After the last preview I called my FLGS to reserve a copy of the Mindflayer special edition copy! I won't tell my brother that I might be looking forward to this in early november even though his birthday is around that time frame as well!!

Remove ads

Remove ads