Tome of Beasts

Quickleaf

Legend
5 out of 5 rating for Tome of Beasts

Outstanding!

You get 407 monsters by my count, which is pretty close to the Monster Manual which has 409 monsters. All illustrated in full-color. Font size is a bit bigger than the Monster Manual, particularly when it comes to stat blocks.

The monster design is generally on point and consistent with 5e, though there are a few delightful surprises that take bolder riskier decisions. For example, there are several monsters (e.g. Beli, Cambium, Gray Thirster) that impose exhaustion. Other monsters siphon spell slots or steal time. It's wonderful stuff.

I found the "flavor" to be pretty good, in some places outstanding, and fairly consistent with the amount of flavor found in the Monster Manual. There are some nods towards Open Design's Midgard setting which are even interesting to someone not familiar with that setting. There are also several delightful nods to H.P. Lovecraft with references to Leng and the Void.

I found the selection of monsters to be all over the place. There is lots of support for aberrations and other Cthulu-esque monsters. There is lots of support for shadow fey. There is lots of support for a variety of clockwork creatures and other constructs. I was pleasantly surprised by just how much attention these monsters get. Many leap off the page and say "use me in your campaign!" However, other monsters are...just strange...leaving me without a sense of how to use them in a game. Several of the fiends, such as the Malakabel, "demonic messengers" who are the "embodiment of all that is forbidden and destructive" did nothing for me. And the number of "evil seductresses" in the book is almost ridiculous – do we really need Lorelei, Miragers, and Rusulkas? Or does that just lead to the PCs not trusting beautiful women (and most are presented as women) as a matter of habit?

Given my appreciation for old school aesthetics, there are some monsters that just made me giddy. The Cobbleswarm – leaping little monsters that look like bricks and cobblestones and carry prone creatures along with them – reminds me of something straight out of The Labyrinth (with David Bowie). The Gray Thirster actually reminds me of a creature introduced in one of the old Al-Qadim books. So is the Zaratan. You rock, Wolfgang :) There are definitely several monsters that seem to have a more Arabian-esque or Egyptian theme – some are converted from Open Design's Southlands setting.

The overlap in monsters between Tome of Beasts and Volo's Guide to Monsters is quite minimal. The only ones that stood out as occupying the same design space are ToB's Deep Ones – a direct parallel to Deep Scions in VGtM.

I am waiting on my print copy, but it's my understanding that while the print may lack certain indexes, the PDF has indexes by CR, terrain, and monster type. Awesome.

Overall this is a 5 out of 5. Can't wait to use Tome of Beasts in my games!

Last edited:

Jesse David

First Post
4 out of 5 rating for Tome of Beasts

Imperfect but full of great, useful creatures and lore. Recommended for any DM vested in running a lot of 5e.

Zardnaar

Legend

Gonna give this one a 5/5 being generous. Its more 4.5 as its not perfect but its better than a 4 IMHO.

Bought it on PDF, then a dead tree product for one of my players then dead tree for myself along with the Midgard world book and players guide. Would recommend as a MM2 type book.

DWChancellor

Kobold Enthusiast

TLDR - Do you need more monsters for 5E? Buy this book. Then buy its sequel, Creature Codex.

WOTC left us all with a big conundrum. The official Monster Manual provided great fodder for a year or two, but the (lack of) variety of design (and ravenous players) left DM's needing a go-to game-ready high-quality successor. Deciding to plug this gap, Kobold Press (who also authored 5E's leading 5E Adventure Path Hoard of the Dragon Queen) set to work. The result was a huge professionally illustrated book packed with interesting monsters that pushed the boundaries of 5E monster design in good ways.

Having used many monsters from this book I can confirm that the quality level and game-readiness of its contents is very close to the WOTC Monster Manual, but with more variety and interesting novelties. Considering how long WOTC had to perfect the Monster Manual, while the Tome of Beasts was produced at almost breakneck Kickstarter speeds, this is a huge achievement.

One of my all-time favorite monsters is in this book - The Gilded Devil. A perfect example of lateral thinking in 5E monster design. Go find this book and look him up. His "Scorn Base Metals" ability is a great example of what Tome of Beasts will bring to your table - mystery.

I'll end with a couple notes. This was produced on a tight schedule and sometimes things slipped through. The design leanings of Kobold Press to present more flavorful experiences sometimes produced odd abilities and powers that may not suit your DM'ing style. Having said that, the samey-feeling of many monsters in the Monster Manual makes these quibbles easy for me to ignore.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases