D&D 5E [DM Help] Flexible vendor system for magic consumables *PLAYTEST READY*

Tony Vargas

Legend
Obviously, if magic items, even consumables, are comparatively rare and in-demand, you might, however many might be produced or in a given warehouse, only be able to obtain a limited number, because the dealer has other customers he needs to supply some quantity to, some time, to retain their good will. The PCs, being 9th level characters, thus with substantial combat prowess and magical abilities, probably get to buy items that other, less dangerous customers had ordered months ago...

CapnZapp

Legend
I can only draw on my (vague) experiences of 3rd edition.

So far I've survived as a DM on ad-hoc rulings, such as pricing 1st level scrolls at 100 gp, 2nd level scolls at perhaps 300 gp and 3rd level scrolls at 600 gp.

An official magic item creation and pricing (and availability) guideline is sorely needed.

One based on utility, not rarity.

Rod Staffwand

aka Ermlaspur Flormbator
I'd randomize availability based on rarity by making a roll. The players ask for an elixir of health you could roll a d20. On a 15+ one (or perhaps 1d4) are in stock. Or you could say a vendor always has x number of consumables in stock per month/week and randomly generate the list. Certain common and uncommon items might always be in stock.

If the players want a specific item they can order it ahead of time and it will be in stock next month. Payment in advance, of course. You can limit each order to 1d4 items of the same type.

And here are some worldly reasons for limited availability of consumables:

1. A lack of ingredients--you just can't find any good eye of newt in the middle of winter
2. Lack of patrons--it doesn't do to have one's life savings tied up in wares very few will be able to afford
3. Spoilage/breakage--the cat got into the potions of fire breath again...
4. Robbery--you can't be robbed of your wares if you haven't made them yet
5. Laziness--hey, I'm an alchemist not a coal miner for a reason!
6. Other buyers--the king needed all the scrolls of levitation, never mind you why
7. Consumable creation is an art, not a science--sometimes it all doesn't work out and no one knows why

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
If you roll on the tables and follow the (somewhat) vague guidelines in the DMG, a PC will get, on average, one consumable per level. The *party* will get one permanent magical item per level, meaning an individual will get, on average, one permanent magical item per 4-5 levels. The person who did these stats excluded cursed and "garbage" items. Unfortunately, the thread was lost in the great database crash. But the conclusion was very straightforward.

I think that for high level heroes, a trader dropping by semi-regularly having 1d4 consumable is acceptable. He purchases them from various obscure channels, and sells whatever he happens to have at the time, at inflated prices of course.

Obtaining the recipe for a consumable would be a treasure/adventure in and of itself. I think the only "common" one would be healing potions, which are fairly widespread.

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
An official magic item creation and pricing (and availability) guideline is sorely needed.

One based on utility, not rarity.
Since how much utility something has is dependent upon campaign specifics, any official guideline is likely to miss by as far as you think the current rarity-based guidelines do.

Your ad-hoc rulings are likely to be more satisfying to you than anyone else's opinion of what items should cost, whether they are a professional game designer or not.

CapnZapp

Legend
Since how much utility something has is dependent upon campaign specifics, any official guideline is likely to miss by as far as you think the current rarity-based guidelines do.

Your ad-hoc rulings are likely to be more satisfying to you than anyone else's opinion of what items should cost, whether they are a professional game designer or not.
For the umpteenth time, stop telling me what I want.

Stop telling me what I need. Stop presuming to know my game better than myself.

Reported.

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
For the umpteenth time, stop telling me what I want.
I haven't told you what you want. I've suggested a means of getting it.

Stop telling me what I need.
I've never told you what you need.

Stop presuming to know my game better than myself.
I've made no presumption that I know your game better than you do. The opposite, in fact, since I have asserted that you know your game better than WotC or anyone else does.

Reported.
For what, exactly?

I've done nothing but attempt to help you find a way to be more satisfied with your 5th edition gaming experience, and that doesn't break any rule of this forumn.

CapnZapp

Legend
[MENTION=6701872]AaronOfBarbaria[/MENTION]:

You aren't helping me. Stop pretending you are. You know I don't care for your "help".

In no uncertain terms - stop "helping" me. Capiche?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases