New AD&D That I Did From My 80's Era Campaign

Bud23

Villager
Great stuff Gene. A good creature when you need monsters, NPC's or characters to be riding dragon-like mounts without actually riding dragons. Also individually, a foe that a low level party could square off against. Dragonnel's , especially a Magnus with a evil knight mounted upon it, have a old-timey Chivalry & Sorcery feel to it. Being distinctly associated with the Pomarj (and Greyhawk) also tells volumes of how to use them in encounters.
Thanks for reminding me of this lost classic, and for your stats for the variants.

GENEWEIGEL

Explorer
The 9-21 damage range in the Magnus Dragonnel is a rather awkward dice range - 4d4+5 or d6+d8+7.

Is that meant to be there?

Its the same as the dragonnel plus 5

Regular dragonnel bite is 4-16 (4D4) so for the magnus dragonnel its +5 to give it the same "morphology" but giving it an "exceptional ability" of 24 damage possibility (under experience in DMG) singly without giving it any power like a breath weapon its just well known for its bite.

This is what happens when you don't add descriptive text but I wanted to keep it open enough. Technically, I was aiming for people to fill in the blanks. There is no reason that a magnus dragonnel can't have different breeds with a +1 to the 4D4 and a breath weapon of some kind but I wanted to keep it in the same vein without going too far. So bigger damage for an already big bite that affects experience by hitting the 24 damage possibility mark.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases