Sean's Picks of the Week (1115-1118): WoD, Gaming for Kids, and Ghost Punching and Ghost Planets

I missed one this week - Monday's. Sorry about that, but we were still in Ohio, and a long flight home (following the revelries of Con on the Cob for days prior) left me a puddle of unconscious goo when I got home. I wasn't even worthy of being a dungeon crawling monster; I might have been worth 10xps, max. At any rate, here's the week's Picks, rounded up nicely for you weekend readers.

GHOST PLANETS

Evil Hat continues the march of its Fate Adventures and Worlds line with this very science-fiction oriented supplement. They're also sticking to their commitment to make much of their published stuff available under the Pay What You Want principle, counting on fans to like them enough to do more than just grab the books for free.

A galaxy full of graves...

In the 23rd century, we found signs of intelligent life in the galaxy—deserted planets full of alien structures. The World Council established the Xenohistory Corps to investigate these ghost planets and determine what happened to their inhabitants.
In the far reaches of the galaxy, your group of Corps explorers and scientists searches the abandoned relics of inhuman beings, looking for answers. You must survive hostile environments, decipher ancient clues, and confront the miraculous and terrifying products of alien technologies. If you fail, Earth may become the next ghost planet.

Forbidden Planet meets Star Trek in this Fate World of Adventure by Don Bisdorf. Ghost Planets requires Fate Core to play. This 55-page supplement includes:

• Space-specific rules for aspects and skills, including homeworld aspects, research roles, new skills, and skill packages
  • New rules to help make research an active and interesting part of your campaign
  • A team action mechanic to reflect the effects of the crew working together
  • Plenty of ideas for alien technologies, spaceships, and equipment for characters to use
  • A variety of deep space locations (and potential threats) to get you started
  • A starter adventure: The Doomsday Clock

Deciphering alien hieroglyphics, disarming ancient weapons, and saving humanity from extinction. Just another day on the job.

GHOST PUNCHERS

Quirky, creepy, and just plain fun, Darrell Hardy's Ghost Punchers is equal parts Ash vs Evil Dead and Supernatural. Ross Watson and I had the pleasure of chatting extensively with Darrell about this project a couple of years ago, and we're thrilled to see it come to full light, along with the rest of the Savage Worlds community.

Ghosts Are Real!

Ghosts are the horrific spirits of the evil dead who haunt the living and consume their life force rather than face Final Judgment! These phantom cannibals are invisible, intangible, and only you can stop them!

And They Need to be Punched!

Because you’re a ghost puncher. You’re a psychic with a mission and mean right hook. Not only can you see these sinister specters, but you can touch them—which means you can punch into the Light whether they want to go or not!

Ghost Punchers is a Savage Worlds setting of supernatural investigation and violence packed with

• Rules for creating ghosts
  • Rules for possession, haunting, and such ghostly activities
  • New Edges, Hindrances, and Powers to help you create the ghost puncher of your dreams
  • And the obligatory much more!

What are you waiting for? Grab your dice and get to work! These ghosts won’t punch themselves!

NO THANK YOU EVIL

Today's Pick is a celebration of DriveThruRPG's Teach Your Kids to Game Week, which they just announced has been extended to next Monday. This is a hot item in the Younger Gamers category of gaming, yet another piece of brilliance out of the House That Shanna and Monte Built.

A tabletop game of make-believe, adventure, and storytelling for creative kids and their families!

Olivia is a Super Smart Princess who Experiments with Science. Rowan is a Cool Robot who Loves Ooey Gooey Things. Their best friend tells them that a dragon has stolen all his chocolate coins. They’re the only ones who can enter Storia and save the chocolate—how will they do it? It’s all up to them!

No Thank You, Evil! is a tabletop game of creative make-believe, adventure, and storytelling. In No Thank You, Evil!, you create a character based on a couple of cool, descriptive, imagination-firing traits. The Guide (a special role often played by a parent or older sibling) presents a dilemma, and the players set off on an adventure of the imagination. Along the way you use your character’s special skills, companions, and equipment to overcome obstacles. Maybe you’ll rescue a friend from Dragonsnot Falls, save the world’s biggest adventure park from an ancient curse, or fix Whizbang’s broken time machine before it’s too late! Whatever you choose, you’re sure to solve mysteries, gain friends, confront bad guys, and have a wild adventure!

Scalable rules adapt easily to the abilities and interests of kids from five on up, so everyone can play together. How will your adventure play out? Your options are limited only by your creativity. Together, you and the other players create a story as you work together to make your way through the adventure!

Have a look at what’s inside the game with this unboxing video. Your PDF version contains files for all the components shown (except the dice, but a regular d6 is just fine!) in printer-friendly format.

I had the honor of being part of the team that brought Teach Your Kids to Game Week to life at DriveThru, and I am so excited to see all that's happened with it since then. This is a great entry into that playing field.

SHATTERED DREAMS

Fans of the W20 approach to the World of Darkness and the Storyteller System will greatly appreciate this in-depth look at the whole Changing Breeds culture and history. It's also a framework to let GMs structure their own approach to the War of Rage.

The Wars of Rage

In the mists of prehistory, the werewolves worked alongside the other Changing Breeds to safeguard Gaia against the many threats to Her existence. The werewolves’ pride and their great Rage drove them to murder their cousins, leaving two Changing Breeds extinct and Gaia’s children forever broken. Millennia later, the twin lures of colonialism and conquest once again brought the shapeshifters into conflict, leading to the death of the Camazotz. Nobody knew quite what happened to spark the Wars of Rage, or what life was like when the Changing Breeds worked together, until now.

The Past Laid Bare

Shattered Dreams presents an in-depth look at the prehistory of the Changing Breeds, including both the threats they had to face before circumstances drove them to war and the War of Rage itself. Rather than one answer, it showcases many time periods and many ways in which the War could start, so that players and Storytellers can make prehistory their own. It also presents the circumstances surrounding the Second War of Rage, giving players the chance to take part, either as Garou Conquistadores or as the Fera desperately trying to fight off an invasion. Finally, the included chronicle structure allows modern characters to visit these crucial moments of history in an effort to stop the Wyrm’s most powerful minions.

Shattered Dreams contains:

• The first ever look at the World of Darkness before the War of Rage.

• The ways the Wars of Rage could start, and how enterprising characters could change what happened.

• Two chronicle frameworks that bring modern characters to the past, replete with new Abilities and new Storytelling tools that make the players the center of much larger stories.

So, as you can see, the Picks of the Day debut exclusively here on EN World now, and I will be doing the Picks of the Week on Saturdays. Just working out some new ways to present the info as we continue developing things here on the site. As well, I'll be phasing out my Sean's Pick of the Day site in favor of other site focus (here, my Patreon, etc.). Cheers!

Note that I use affiliate links in all my posts as a way to generate additional revenue for my efforts; I make my Picks and other article choices, however, based on the desire to share a wide variety of things with you. Thank you for your support.

Sean Patrick Fannon
Writer & Game Designer: Shaintar, Star Wars, Savage Rifts, much more
Please check out my Patreon and get involved directly with my next projects!

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases