D&D 5E Bronze and Brass Dragons vs. Iron and Adamantine Dragons: Which do you prefer?

dave2008

Legend
It's mostly about consistency in naming. When I hear gold, silver, copper, iron, adamantine, I get a "one of these things is not like the others" disconnect. I guess the fact that the version with bronze and brass has two alloys makes it a group of three and a group of two in my mind, instead of a group of four and one outlier.

I get that, but for me Adamant is such a D&D staple that it doesn't sound out of place to me. In fact, I would find it out odd if it wasn't included (if you are also including iron, steel, mithril, etc.).

Parmandur

Book-Friend
"Alloys" and atomic "elements" are irrelevant categories: the metallic Dragons are ranked by Alchemical purity of precious metal...

MarkB

Legend
To me, the metallics are more about precious metals than 'practical' metals, and whilst copper, bronze and brass are all borderline in that respect, an iron dragon just doesn't bring the slightest sense of majesty to it. And adamantine just sounds like it's trying too hard to one-up the existing order.

Also, as a Pern fan, I'm automatically in favour of bronze dragons. Mnementh FTW.

Did you start with BECMI? Those where the only those six types in D&D, but 1e AD&D has always (since the 1e MM at leasts) had 5 chromatic, 5 metallic. + Tiamat (Chromatic) and Bahamut (Platinum) dragons.

Yep. Or at least, I started with B. I was only eight years old or so so I didn't have enough money to afford ECMI, and then I graduated to AD&D 2nd edition after that.

Lanliss

Explorer
From the Lore, I would say Iron and Adamantine are better. They seem much more interesting than the Bronze and Brass, who I also think are just changes to copper.

I actually have dragons in my world that sound extremely similar to Adamantine dragons. Deep Dragons are rare, and insanely powerful, practical oozing magical energy just by existing. They prefer to be deep underground, or deep in the oceans.

Dausuul

Legend
I don't hold with good dragons, nohow, so it's a fairly academic question for me. Which five dragon types would I prefer to read about in the Monster Manual and never actually use? :)

I agree that brass and bronze are too similar visually to copper and gold, and the point about them being copper alloys is well taken. On the other hand, using a made-up metal like adamantine doesn't sit right with me, either. First, it sticks out like a sore thumb when all the other metals are real ones. Second, I'm a firm believer in using known things from the real world as the building blocks of fantasy.

If I were going to plan a metallic dragon lineup, with no pre-existing D&D traditions, I'd go with either lead/copper/iron/silver/gold, or copper/iron/silver/gold/platinum. (If we need an Adamantine Dragon, that can be Bahamut. For the god of metallic dragons, a made-up ubermetal seems appropriate.)

I'm fine with the current set up, as it's worked well over the years.

However, I do wonder why they went with brass and bronze way back in 1e though. If I had to get rid of one, it would be brass, and replace it with iron. That would allow for metallic dragons to be based on several significant metal sequences:

Coinage: (Platinum), gold, silver, copper
Olympic Medals: Gold, silver, bronze
Legendary ages of the world: Gold, silver, bronze, iron
Historic metal-using ages: Copper, bronze, iron (although the Copper Age is usually called the Chalcolithic)

Brass just doesn't fit into any good metal sequence that I can think of.

Last edited:

QuietBrowser

First Post
I don't hold with good dragons, nohow, so it's a fairly academic question for me. Which five dragon types would I prefer to read about in the Monster Manual and never actually use? :)

This is where I feel obligated to point out that among 4e's innovations was making Metallic Dragons NOT "Always Good" and giving very good reasons why you would encounter them in an antagonistic role, from Iron Dragons being brutal bandits and raiders to Silver Dragons being crusaders who could grow arrogant in their self-perceived holiness to Gold Dragons being "for the greater good" well intentioned extremists to Adamantine Dragons being outright tyrants. I can't remember what the deal was for 4e Copper Dragons, though.

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
I'm a huge fan of bronze dragons. For some reason I never gave two snots about brass or copper dragons. Talkative dragons? Prankster dragons? What is this, a kid's cartoon? (wait... don't answer that)

At least bronze had an Age. Maybe the dragon categories should be stone/bronze/iron/written-history. ;}

Remove ads