What's is your favorite D20/D10 RPG and why ? - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Acolyte (Lvl 2)

D&D 4E.

It was (and is) the first edition of D&D that I felt actually delivered on the unfulfilled promises of the editions we played in the 70s and 80s.

And any edition as unpopular as 4E must be good!
    XP Wednesday Boy, pemerton, Tequila Sunrise gave XP for this post
    Laugh Garthanos laughed with this post

Grandmaster of Flowers (Lvl 18)

While Vampire: The Masquerade (1991) is probably the most World of Darkness-y product, in hindsight I really wish I had spent more time with Mage: The Ascension and Changeling: The Dreaming.

Quote Originally Posted by Lastoutkast View Post
    I just put C&C on my wish list, what editions of WoD would you suggest ?

Novice (Lvl 1)

So I'm unfamiliar with WoD, are mage and changeling from the same year/edition ?

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

Titan (Lvl 27)

Quote Originally Posted by Lastoutkast View Post
    So I'm unfamiliar with WoD, are mage and changeling from the same year/edition ?
    WoD was arguably a single setting, but each Storyteller game was quite separate. Mage: the Ascension came out in '93, Changeling years later, Wraith between the two.

BTW, M:tA was by far my favorite Storyteller game, followed by Werewolf.

Titan (Lvl 27)

My favourite d20 game is 4e D&D, for much the same reasons as @Neil Bishop and @Jhaelen have posted upthread.
    XP Neil Bishop, Garthanos gave XP for this post

4e here too -- it's a very well-planned, well-executed, and well-played game.

3.x D&D is a close runner up; it has very compelling concepts, but due to the D&D legacy its execution is rather misguided. So sadly, it doesn't live up to the potential I see in it.
    XP Neil Bishop gave XP for this post

Superhero (Lvl 15)

I'm not quite sure what answer to give.

I think D&D is the only rpg I play which uses a d20. Sure, I've played Pathfinder, but that's still basically just D&D.

Out of the various editions I'm familiar with, I'm not sure that I have a favorite. I have a love/hate relationship with both 3rd and 4th. They both manage to do things that I think are really good, but then they also both have things which really bug me. Out of the two; despite some of my problems with 4th, I might lean slightly toward favoring it due to feeling that the ideals behind encounter design are a little closer to my preferences for encounter design.

I'm not familiar enough with 1st or 2nd to feel like I have an informed opinion. Some of my favorite books to read and look at are 2nd Edition books though. I cannot explain why. There's just something about the layout, style, and writing which speaks to me.

I don't know how to describe my feelings toward 5th yet. I feel enthusiastic about it when I first start a campaign or an adventure, but it seems like I lose motivation quickly.

Anyway, being that D&D is -I believe- the only d20 game I play, my default answer has to be D&D.

I'm not sure that I play any games which use d10 as the core mechanic.

I play Edge of The Empire, and that uses a dice pool.
    I play GURPS 4th Edition which uses 3d6.
    I play D&D which uses a d20.

Novice (Lvl 1)

@Johnny3D3D
    I guess also should have add more about what "parts" you like about your favorite D20/D10. Also I've read a lot of RPGs but have only played; rifts, D&D 2nd,3rd and pathfinder, 7th sea.
    So with that said your answer was great

Novice (Lvl 1)

Also what is everyones favorite "mechanics" in the RPGs they like.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny3D3D View Post
    I'm not familiar enough with 1st or 2nd to feel like I have an informed opinion. Some of my favorite books to read and look at are 2nd Edition books though. I cannot explain why. There's just something about the layout, style, and writing which speaks to me.
    2e demonstrates an amazing attention to fluff. The monster culture & ecology entries, the settings, the writing of setting fluff in in-game vernacular (in the case of Planescape) -- these are all things that add a lot of style value, and sadly haven't been emphasized since 2e. I myself equate different games/editions with their rulesets, but if I were to equate them with their fluff, 2e would be a top contender for my favorite. It is often a joy to read.

Sadly, I cut my gamer teeth on 2e, and have no desire to re-experience the ruleset.
    XP Saelorn gave XP for this post