What's is your favorite D20/D10 RPG and why ?

Neil Bishop

First Post
D&D 4E.

It was (and is) the first edition of D&D that I felt actually delivered on the unfulfilled promises of the editions we played in the 70s and 80s.

And any edition as unpopular as 4E must be good! :)

Tony Vargas

Legend
So I'm unfamiliar with WoD, are mage and changeling from the same year/edition ?
WoD was arguably a single setting, but each Storyteller game was quite separate. Mage: the Ascension came out in '93, Changeling years later, Wraith between the two.

BTW, M:tA was by far my favorite Storyteller game, followed by Werewolf.

pemerton

Legend
My favourite d20 game is 4e D&D, for much the same reasons as [MENTION=55494]Neil Bishop[/MENTION] and [MENTION=46713]Jhaelen[/MENTION] have posted upthread.

Tequila Sunrise

Adventurer
4e here too -- it's a very well-planned, well-executed, and well-played game.

3.x D&D is a close runner up; it has very compelling concepts, but due to the D&D legacy its execution is rather misguided. So sadly, it doesn't live up to the potential I see in it.

Argyle King

Legend
I'm not quite sure what answer to give.

I think D&D is the only rpg I play which uses a d20. Sure, I've played Pathfinder, but that's still basically just D&D.

Out of the various editions I'm familiar with, I'm not sure that I have a favorite. I have a love/hate relationship with both 3rd and 4th. They both manage to do things that I think are really good, but then they also both have things which really bug me. Out of the two; despite some of my problems with 4th, I might lean slightly toward favoring it due to feeling that the ideals behind encounter design are a little closer to my preferences for encounter design.

I'm not familiar enough with 1st or 2nd to feel like I have an informed opinion. Some of my favorite books to read and look at are 2nd Edition books though. I cannot explain why. There's just something about the layout, style, and writing which speaks to me.

I don't know how to describe my feelings toward 5th yet. I feel enthusiastic about it when I first start a campaign or an adventure, but it seems like I lose motivation quickly.

Anyway, being that D&D is -I believe- the only d20 game I play, my default answer has to be D&D.

I'm not sure that I play any games which use d10 as the core mechanic.

I play Edge of The Empire, and that uses a dice pool.
I play GURPS 4th Edition which uses 3d6.
I play D&D which uses a d20.

Lastoutkast

First Post
[MENTION=58416]Johnny3D3D[/MENTION]
I guess also should have add more about what "parts" you like about your favorite D20/D10. Also I've read a lot of RPGs but have only played; rifts, D&D 2nd,3rd and pathfinder, 7th sea.
So with that said your answer was great :)

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

Tequila Sunrise

Adventurer
I'm not familiar enough with 1st or 2nd to feel like I have an informed opinion. Some of my favorite books to read and look at are 2nd Edition books though. I cannot explain why. There's just something about the layout, style, and writing which speaks to me.
2e demonstrates an amazing attention to fluff. The monster culture & ecology entries, the settings, the writing of setting fluff in in-game vernacular (in the case of Planescape) -- these are all things that add a lot of style value, and sadly haven't been emphasized since 2e. I myself equate different games/editions with their rulesets, but if I were to equate them with their fluff, 2e would be a top contender for my favorite. It is often a joy to read. :)

Sadly, I cut my gamer teeth on 2e, and have no desire to re-experience the ruleset.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases