Pathfinder 1E [INTEREST/RECRUIT] - Crowns of Ice

Archon Basileus

First Post
PRELUDE

[sblock]
“Every wise man should know how to ask questions and give answers,
If he is to be known for his intelligence.” – Hávámal

“Eirik is dead and Avar has no ruler.”

Leif was brought back from his musings as his wife pronounced the fatal phrase. Leif tried to ignore the fact thus far, even as he watched the blazing longboat glide through the specular grey waters of the bay.

“And what will you have me do, woman?” – his visage was one of pain. Perhaps he lamented the death of his brother. Perhaps he did not want to deal with the inevitable.

“I will have nothing of you, my love…” – she responded with a cold whisper. “Fate, on the other hand, will take you for everything, lest you act now.”

Wrath ran through Leif’ veins, his raging nature fighting his reason. The ferocious warrior was tailored for the battlefield, not for the Thing.

“Let the wise deal with it.” – he muttered between his teeth.

“Wise, such as your caste niece?” – the man’s face turned red as she mentioned Torunn. Gudrun could never understand the man’s feelings for his niece, and that tasked her.

“Come, Leif! You can’t fail. She is not strong enough to lead. You know it.”

“Measure your words, woman!” – the exasperated tone of his voice betrayed him, despite the hushed ways of the conversation. “It is my flesh you talk about…” – for a second, Gudrun wondered. Hate overthrew her.

“Your blood… True. And that is why I beg of you, do what you must!”

“You do not understand, Gudrun…” – suddenly, he became complacent, almost childish in his ways. “They already talk… They say…”

“They say you’ve allowed him to die…” – she completed the phrase before he could. “I know that.”

“Imagine if I was to call a moot now, to declare my rights…”

“They’d call you traitor…”

“No doubt!”

“No doubt…” – she falls silent for a second. “Yet…” – he glances at her, curious. She wears the masks of concern and compassion with elegance unmatched. “Yet… Look at her, Leif. Look at how the leech Regnar clings to her now… Bishop Regnar.” – she studied his barbaric features, an indomitable spirit made for the back of horses and the openness of planes. “Look at how he covets her…” – his face twisted in irritation, she almost gave her disguise away. “He has killed before, remember? The former bishop… His heart giving out as he fed… His blackened lips…. Poison, my love…. Poison.” – his face turned to concern.

“Rumors, just rumors… …. You don’t suppose he might… would…”

“Who would inherit the lands, then? She is one of the sisters, after all…” – she observed in silence, apprehensive. His eyes turned to the demiurgian priests, where Torunn rose silent prayers for her dead father. For a second, he contemplated her figure, a rosy beauty lost amidst a mass of black furs, pure simplicity and harmony crowned by stoic habits.

“We call the moot.”

In that moment, Gudrun smiled a serpent’s smile.[/sblock]

This is the beginning of an idea I’ve been brewing for a while. I’m throwing it here to check for interest and potentially recruit some players.

Think ‘Vikings’ meets ‘Game of Thrones’. It’s a character-driven game (sandbox style) where players take the role of powerful political figures of heroic level (beginning at level 4). The objective is to survive the intrigues and power games of this Nordic-like world, while trying to reach the character’s individual goals (obviously defined by the players). The first act of the political dispute is the death of an important Jarl, the one that held on his hands a key location for trading and warfare. As interests around his legacy are revealed, entire factions are dragged down to conflict, such as the church of the Demiurge (a Christian-like religion) and the Pantheon (the equivalent of pagan traditions in this world).

Players are encouraged to build their own lineages, lands and interests, as well as factions, if they so wish.

SYSTEM: Pathfinder (I have more source material to support necessary adaptations)

SCENARIO: Homebrew/Nordic inspired culture

RACES: Any basic. Others might apply after “that talk”.

CLASSES:
Any basic. Others might apply after “another talk”.

STARTING LEVEL: 4 (NPC’s won’t be too far from it; the idea is to look for a more grounded scenario, since we are aiming for politics, not epic; magic is perfectly acceptable in this scenario, though.)

NUMBER OF PLAYERS: up to 4.

UNCHAINED ALLOWED

GAME APPLIES BACKGROUND TRAITS

IMPORTANT NOTE:
we will rely heavily on roleplay. There will be dice rolling and combat, but the main experience here is roleplaying. We will also need certain details on backstories (family ties, titles, power position, dirty little secrets, etc.). Also, sensitive topics might be brought up, so be advised that we all must enter this with an open mind.

SIDENOTE:
I am also DMing Tideruler of Maran. The styles are going to be completely different. I took a known cultural pattern so I can reduce drastically the need for descriptions. That will also allow players to decide their political moves faster.

EDIT:

LINKS:

Link for the "book":

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...0m-Zwy1BI/edit

Link for the gallery:

http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthr...81#post6974681

Last edited:

Jago

Explorer
Color me intrigued. Settings based upon Norse and Northern Culture are always a favorite of mine (I've homebrewed a few over the years), so I'll be creating something for this. Unsure what type of character just yet, but put my name down on the list.

Rhun

First Post
I would be interested in this. I haven't played much in the last couple of years, but I'd like to get back into the swing of things, and this campaign sounds very cool. I actually have a human barbarian character that I could update that would be well-suited for this...

Jago

Explorer
Hm, if you're going Barbarian, I'm debating between Witch, Bard, or Paladin at this point. Leaning more heavily towards the latter two unless someone else wants to dabble with them.

A few questions.

1.) What Races are available? Strictly human, or?

2.) For our Deities (especially if I go Paladin), are we looking at the Pantheon as being very similar to the Aesir (Odin, Tyr, Baldr, Thor, etc.)?

Archon Basileus

First Post
[MENTION=6855130]Jago[/MENTION] [MENTION=29098]Rhun[/MENTION]

Thanks for showing interest, guys, and welcome to the new project!
[MENTION=29098]Rhun[/MENTION] A human barbarian would fit in perfectly! I actually tried to describe Leif as a barbarian, especially as rage comes from within in undesirable moments (in his case, anyway). As for returning, you couldn’t have found a better place. I myself return to gameplay after years away, and the community is great, truly helpful and dedicated!
[MENTION=6855130]Jago[/MENTION] I’ve kept an eye on your Renaissance project! Great work! I think you might help bring this game some great historical tones. Again, thanks for showing interest and for all the writing and help on Tideruler!

As for the questions:

1) I was thinking of a few options for the races:

a.Standard Pathfinder races;

b.Only humans, but having distinct advantages depending on region of origin. For example, Avarians might be standard humans, adaptable and dedicated to trading; the southern Hauskar could be warlike, gaining strength and loosing wisdom; the men from the solitary mountains, on the other hand, could be highly spiritualized, bearing wisdom bonus in detriment of some constitution (weather is cruel in those parts); and so on. I have some prototypes I can share as samples, but the idea would be for each one to build around. We can balance them together in the OOC thread.

c.Only lore-friendly races, such as humans, trolls, giants, alfar (elves, in the end) and dwarves (originally, as far as I understand, the Edda named no distinction between elves and dwarves, except that the later ones lived under the earth and were amazing craftsmen, while the others lived in groves and such, IIRC).

2)The Gods: I’d suggest we work around the Nordic pantheon, creating our own gods or trying to translate the myths. This is a delicate matter, since if we use Pathfinder listed gods we lose much of the cultural traces derived from religion. It wouldn’t be too hard to do it, I guess, since we only gotta define each god’s portfolio and granted powers, and we have plenty to borrow from in Pathfinder books.

Anyway, I'd rather leave it open for you guys to decide. The hole campaign can only work if driven from the characters, so the less I define previously and single-handedly, the better.

On a side note, the idea behind the game comes from the Norway Civil War (between XII and XIII centuries), sprinkled with the “death of old gods” theme from the Nibelungenlied. It is not to be defined by history, but only to inspire some common grounds in gameplay.

Rhun

First Post
As for returning, you couldn’t have found a better place. I myself return to gameplay after years away, and the community is great, truly helpful and dedicated!

As you can probably tell from my post count and join date, I've actually been around the Enworld community for a long, long time. :) I just haven't been very active the last couple of years. I'm still playing in a couple other games here, but they have slowed to a crawl. But this place is certainly a great community for RPGers.

Archon Basileus

First Post
As you can probably tell from my post count and join date, I've actually been around the Enworld community for a long, long time. :) I just haven't been very active the last couple of years. I'm still playing in a couple other games here, but they have slowed to a crawl. But this place is certainly a great community for RPGers.

Sorry, man! I hadn't noticed. But the compliments are still very true!

Rhun

First Post
1) I was thinking of a few options for the races:

a.Standard Pathfinder races;

b.Only humans, but having distinct advantages depending on region of origin. For example, Avarians might be standard humans, adaptable and dedicated to trading; the southern Hauskar could be warlike, gaining strength and loosing wisdom; the men from the solitary mountains, on the other hand, could be highly spiritualized, bearing wisdom bonus in detriment of some constitution (weather is cruel in those parts); and so on. I have some prototypes I can share as samples, but the idea would be for each one to build around. We can balance them together in the OOC thread.

c.Only lore-friendly races, such as humans, trolls, giants, alfar (elves, in the end) and dwarves (originally, as far as I understand, the Edda named no distinction between elves and dwarves, except that the later ones lived under the earth and were amazing craftsmen, while the others lived in groves and such, IIRC).

Standard races or humans only would be my preference. I've found that once you start allowing races like trolls and giants, people end up with min-maxed characters that can completely overshadow everyone else. Given that this will be more roleplaying focused than combat focused, some of these issues might not crop up...but it is something to consider.

2)The Gods: I’d suggest we work around the Nordic pantheon, creating our own gods or trying to translate the myths. This is a delicate matter, since if we use Pathfinder listed gods we lose much of the cultural traces derived from religion. It wouldn’t be too hard to do it, I guess, since we only gotta define each god’s portfolio and granted powers, and we have plenty to borrow from in Pathfinder books.

I'm good with doing deities either way. We could use the Pathfinder pantheon, create our own, or even use the true Norse pantheon. Any of those would work for me.

Jago

Explorer
I'm pretty good with using the Norse Pantheon just because it's already pretty clearly established and keeps the feel of the world, though I'll go with anything our group goes for.

As for Races, Standard or Just Human sounds good, especially if we do Standard with Rebranding (Like Elves are Alfar, that's cool). Could even just says Orcs are "Trolls" or the like, considering there isn't really an "Orc" in my understanding or Northern European Mythology.

I also spoke to a friend who may be interested as well, she'd be looking at playing either a Paladin or Fighter, a woman whom recently became the head of her Clan/House as its only actual heir. Seeing as she's looking at Pally-ish (from what I understand), I'm going Bard, possibly the Savage Skald or Thundercaller.

More questions!

1.) Starting Attributes: Point Buy, Array, Roll?

2.) Starting Equipment: how much in GP? Any items and the like off-limits?

3.) You mention Background Traits, are we also using Background Skills, or nyet?

tglassy

Adventurer
I've...never done Pathfinder, but I have been interested, lately. I'm fairly familiar with DND 3.5, though I'm most familiar with 5e. I really like this idea, and would love to jump in, if at all possible. I would just need to know what rules to use to build my character. Pathfinder is freaking huge at this point, which is why I never jumped in.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases