D&D 5E What is your favorite dip?

Lanliss

Explorer
No, not guac vs cheese. I have been playing a Warlock/Swashbuckler recently, and looking at synergies between other classes and Swashbuckler. I think this might be my favorite subclass to look at, considering how well it plays. I think my next such character, either as an NPC or PC, will be a Swashbuckler Monk, for supreme hit and run damage. The only class I can really see Swashbuckler not playing well with is the Barbarian, but even then I would have sneak attack whenever I wasn't raging.

My question is, What is your favorite multiclass dip, assuming your games allow it? What class would you like to combine with just about any of the others, for fun, flavor, or functionality?

ccs

41st lv DM
Whatever the edition (well, in 3x/PF/5e anyways), my favorite dip/MC option is whatever helps me best express my current character.
I don't do "builds". I don't plan out a character from lv1 - x independent of the game they'll be in.

Lanliss

Explorer
Whatever the edition (well, in 3x/PF/5e anyways), my favorite dip/MC option is whatever helps me best express my current character.
I don't do "builds". I don't plan out a character from lv1 - x independent of the game they'll be in.

Of course, neither do I. I just like the flexibility of Swashbuckler, and the ability to hold up on my own, so I expect to use it more. Unless my concept calls for the opposite of "self sufficient", Swashbuckler works well for usual character ideas.

Caliban

Rules Monkey

Well that doesn't sound judgmental at all.

not-so-newguy

I'm the Straw Man in your argument
I've been playing a barbarian (5th) Druid (1st). I plan to take another level of Druid for wild shape. Raaaage Bear!

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
Paladin 2 is a good dip for a Bard, Sorc, or Warlock who is interested in becoming a melee/caster hybrid with healing spells, smites, good weapon and armor proficiencies, a fighting style, social skills, etc. You only give up 1 caster level and 1 spell level of your main class. Sorcerer has the best spells here (shield for example) but you can only get Extra Attack if you become a Valor Bard or a Blade Warlock.

Champion Fighter 3 lets you crit on a 19-20 which fits in well with a lot of multi-attack builds (dual-wielding or Polearm Master or Frenzied Berserker, or just be a Monk). Of course if you are going to go to level 3 you might want to go to level 4 to pick up the ASI. You'll want to delay all of this until after 5th level of your main class, to get Extra Attack. Fun ways to pump up your crit damage include being a half-orc, being a Barbarian, being a Paladin (only smite when you crit) with the Oath of Vengeance (advantage on attack rolls, and cast hunter's mark), and being a dual-wielding Rogue (take Fighter to level 5 to get Extra Attack; you lose some sneak attack dice, but eventually the crit rate makes up for it and at high levels exceeds it). Lots of options for the crit-focussed Champ 3.

vostygg

Explorer
I like to start with Fighter 1 for armor and Constitution save proficiency on any character with spellcasting abilities who is not a variant human. Getting the boost to Concentration checks early and without giving up a feat is usually worth it.

Last edited:

CapnZapp

Legend
Fighter 2

All martial builds are better for it. Heck, you could even argue a spellcaster should take it, even if only after level 17. The top levels certainly won't give you anything close to the nova power of casting two spells in the first round.

Fighter Battlemaster 4

Precision Attack maneuver is extremely good in doing away with the -5 part of GWM/SS. (Again, assuming a martial build)

Barbarian 1

Damage reduction twice a day is HUGE. With the right build (Dex/Con) running around without any armor makes you look much cooler.

Spellcasting class dips are much more dubious powers-wise*. I really have a hard time seeing how anything can be worth delaying your spellcasting progression.

*) Fun and flavor, yes, sure.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases