D&D 4E Thing I thought 4e did better: Monsters

Ilbranteloth

Explorer
I don't think [MENTION=6778044]Ilbranteloth[/MENTION] is. And as a self-described amateur enthusiast for game design, Ilbranteloth might even be interested in seeing how an indie-style system approaches things!

But I think you're right that this is pretty much done. I think I've explained everything that there is to explain about how 4e monster/NPC stat blocks relate to combat and non-combat resolution in that system.

Not at all. Actually, I find your input extremely insightful and helpful. I'm swamped this weekend so haven't been able to post, but frankly I've tried to explain my perspective and have ended up down many tangents that are probably unnecessary. As pointed out:

It only takes one sentence to say that. :)

I also enjoy Tony's input immensely, among others. And to answer that, I like to (try) to explain why I feel a certain way, so it's not taken as an attack.

I'm not sure that I really have much more to offer in this discussion anyway. I will say that I'm finding it interesting that with direct comparisons many monsters didn't change as much as I thought. But it's also looking through the lens of memory of a system I never really dug into very deeply. And a number of the factors that made it not the edition for me remain regardless.

I have started to look into the indie-system approach things a bit, because I think that there are a lot of interesting ideas out there. But a big part of the game for me is an outlet for me to have fun, obviously. And it's one I'm very comfortable with, can enjoy either by myself, fleshing out the world, tweaking or experimenting with rules, etc., and obviously can enjoy with whatever groups I can get together. But with a medically dependent child, two businesses and a job, ramping up new games and potentially trying to fit them to what I want to do is tough with the time I've got. So mining them for ideas is one thing, but it's easier to stick with what I know, and go from there. Which is why sometimes I can engage in discussions here, and then I disappear for a while.

So if I ever offend, please let me know, that's definitely not the intent!

Remove ads