Trying to gauge interest in new battlemap-making software

heruca

Explorer
The MapForge KS campaign just keeps getting better and better, as more and more Stretch Goals are unlocked. There are now NINE free content Add-Ons, which make for an awesome "Starter Pack". And support for randomly-generated maps will be provided through Donjon. Well over 1000 backers, with 17 days to go.

I posted an Update regarding the 4 new free content packs.

heruca

Explorer
A couple of new Add-Ons for MapForge were also announced recently, by Bogie and Kepli (Dundjinni users will know the names), and they allow for publishing and commercial use. That makes for a total of 9 Add-Ons that allow for publishing and commercial use (and 3 of them are free!).

The campaign is now at over 1300 backers, with 10 days remaining, and only one Stretch Goal left to unlock (and it's a sure thing).

heruca

Explorer
A new "Commercial/Publisher Bundle" Pledge Level has been added to the MapForge Kickstarter campaign. Limited to the first 100 backers.

heruca

Explorer
The last Stretch Goal has been unlocked!

Stretch Goal 1-4 Scrolls.png

9 days remaining in the campaign.

heruca

Explorer
New Stretch Goals added, by backer request.

Stretch-Goal-1-6-Scrolls.png

MapForge is now aiming for the record of highest funded map-making software project on Kickstarter (currently in 3rd place). But with only 3 days remaining, it's going to be a challenge. Click here for more info.

heruca

Explorer
It's always helpful to have something to compare to, so take a look at another map-making app currently on Kickstarter called World Engine. It's web-based and a subscription-based service on which you easily spend $600 to an astounding $1200 over a five year period.

Then head on over to the MapForge page and sign right up for your $27 one-time-fee license. And feel free to do your mapping off-line.

Or you know what? You don't even NEED a license, since MapForge offers a free level of use. Just pick up a handful of content Add-Ons and help out some deserving artists who are the top of their game.

L R Ballard

Explorer
Check out the FAQ section on the Kickstarter page. One of the questions is all about using MapForge for publishing. Some content producers will be releasing MapForge Add-Ons that allow for commercial use of their artwork. Not all of the commercial Add-Ons have been announced yet; there may be one or two more announced before the campaign ends, and there will likely be more in around5-6 months.

If I was middling level in Photoshop, I'd probably stick with it, watch some more tutorials, and try to master it fully, rather than use MapForge. Those [Photoshop] skills are going to be much more applicable/valuable in daily life, ESPECIALLY if you're a publisher.

Thanks. I'll likely stick with Photoshop and acquire proficiency. That said, I also backed MapForge at the commercial/publisher bundle level. Previously, I owned Dundjinni. The utility had lots of art assets, official and fan produced, but they were hard to see and categorize quickly, let alone sort through.

It would be helpful for a MapForge website to focus on organizing artwork and helping site visitors distinguish between and among assets intended for personal use and those approved for commercial use. Good luck!

All the best,
LRB

Last edited:

heruca

Explorer
Thanks for doing that, especially given that you'll stick to Photoshop. Yes, I hope the MapForge community proves to be similar to the DJ community, which was a place where people shared their hard work freely and openly. That also has the added bonus of attracting non-users, and more than a few will likely become converts when they see the potential benefits.

MapForge will allow for easy sharing of maps, and not just the final bitmap but also the source file, in case other users want to use it as a starting point to make their own customizations and improvements. See a nice knight's tower map that you want to tweak into a paladin's tower? You should be able to do that.

heruca

Explorer
Down to the last 2 hours!

Now with over 1800 backers. All Stretch Goals unlocked (again!).

MapForge is now officially the highest-funded mapping software project on Kickstarter, by a decent margin.

Read this Update if you've been on the fence. It might just change your mind.

Always try to end on a high note, they say. :)

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases