D&D 5E Encounter Building: Revised XP Threshold by Character Level Table

dave2008

Legend
Since there have been a few of threads about the lack of interesting and/or threatening monsters in 5e I thought I would start discussing the revised monster and encounter design guidelines that I have been working on. First, to be clear I generally think 5e monsters are, especially at higher levels, a little weak. I do, however, find most of them interesting. Now, on to the task at hand. The first thing I wanted to get some feedback on was my revised XP Threshold by Character Level table (original on pg 82 of the DMG):

EDIT: version 2.0 of the table is attached now.
EDIT (1/13/16): version 3.0 of is up. Revised difficulty labels with alternate tables included.

Creating a Combat Encounter
When creating a combat encounter, let your imagination run wild and build something your players will enjoy. Once you have the details figured out, use this section to adjust the difficulty of the encounter.

Combat Encounter Difficulty
There are five categories of encounter difficulty that determine how challenging an encounter should be.

Trivial. A trivial encounter is non-challenging with little to no resource expenditure. It is a speed bump and mostly important for story or roleplaying engagement.
Minimally Challenging. In a minimal encounter the characters may expect to lose some hit points and spend a minimum of short or long rest resources, but they should complete the encounter with no casualties or major resource use. This encounter is rendered trivial with a minor increase in resource expenditure.
Moderately Challenging. In a moderate encounter the characters can expect to lose significant health resources (hit points and/or healing) and spend up to a quarter of their short or long rest resources. This encounter can be rendered minimal with an expenditure of additional resources.
Challenging. In a challenging encounter the characters can expect to lose about a third of their health, long rest, and short rest resources to escape. A character death is possible, but not likely. This encounter can be rendered moderate with an expenditure of additional resources.
Extremely Challenging. In an extreme encounter the characters can expect to lose half of their health, long rest, and short rest resources if they want to escape with their lives. A character or characters death is a real possibility. This encounter can be rendered challenging if the characters are able to expend the majority of their resources.

XP-Threshold-by-Level_Basic.jpg

*Basic: Tables with this label assume a group is using the basic rules: no feats and no multi-classing. In addition, this table assumes the group consists of four characters: one cleric, one fighter, one rogue, and one wizard, or a similar.

XP-Threshold-by-Level_Standard.jpg

**Standard: Tables with this label assume a group is using the full PHB: feats and multi-classing. In addition, this table assumes the group consists of four characters: one cleric, one fighter, one rogue, and one wizard, or a combination of similar diversity from multi-classing or class selection.

Evaluating Encounter Difficulty
Use the following method to gauge the difficulty of any combat encounter.

1. Determine XP Thresholds. First, determine which table to use: Basic or Standard, refer to the description under each table. Then determine the experience point (XP) thresholds for each character in the party. The XP Thresholds by Character Level tables have five XP thresholds for each character level, one for each category of encounter difficulty. Use a character’s level to determine his or her XP thresholds. Repeat this process for every character in the party.

2. Determine the Party’s XP Threshold. For each category of encounter difficulty, add up the characters’ XP thresholds. This determines the party’s XP threshold. You’ll end up with five totals, one for each category of encounter difficulty. For example, if your party includes three 3rd-level basic characters and one 2nd-level basic character, the party’s totaled XP thresholds would be as follows:

Trivial: 275 XP (75 + 75 + 75 + 50)
Minimal: 550 XP (150 + 150 + 150 + 100)
Moderate: 825 XP (225 + 225 + 225 + 150)
Challenging: 1,400 XP (400 + 400 + 400 + 200)
Extreme: 1,750 XP (500 + 500 + 500 + 250)

Record the totals, because you can use them for every encounter in your adventure.

3. Total the Monsters’ XP. Add up the XP for all of the monsters in the encounter. Every monster has an XP value in its stat block.

4. Modify Total XP for Multiple Monsters. If the encounter includes more than one monster, apply a multiplier to the monsters’ total XP. The more monsters there are, the more attack rolls you’re making against the characters in a given round, and the more dangerous the encounter becomes. To correctly gauge an encounter’s difficulty, multiply the total XP of all the monsters in the encounter by the value given in the Encounter Multipliers table. For example,…more to come!

Last edited:

Xeviat

Hero
I suppose it depends on your definition of deadly. If a fighter has to fight its clone one on one, is that a deadly fight or an overwhelming fight (given that it's, by definition, a 50/50 fight)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

discosoc

First Post
I suppose it depends on your definition of deadly. If a fighter has to fight its clone one on one, is that a deadly fight or an overwhelming fight (given that it's, by definition, a 50/50 fight)?

Considering the DMG says deadly encounters pose very real possibility of one or more character deaths, I don't think there's really any variation on definitions. A fighter against his clone seems to fit the description.

dave2008

Legend

The intent is to stick with the definitions in the DMG

aco175

Legend
I was looking at the threshold last night for my group of 4 9th level characters. The per character level is:

9th level 550 easy 1,100 Moderate 1,600 difficult 2,400 deadly
You show 1,250 2,500 3,750 5,000

I do think that the threshold should be higher, and scale more as character level goes up. I had a beholder go against the party (CR14- 11,400xp). It should have been a deadly encounter. It was certainly dangerous and PC death was very real with one character going down while the cleric was slid into a hole and out of the fight for 2 rounds while he ran back to the fight. The players were a bit scared for their characters. Is this the definition of deadly?

There was also a handful of goblins that I did not use to multiply the xp for the encounter since 8 monsters would have doubled or tripled the threat. They were mostly there if the PCs freed the NPC adventurers they were rescuing. The NPCs would have fought these while the PCs had the big threat.

I think that if I used a budget of 20,000xp for a deadly encounter it may have been a bit much, but degrees of deadly can vary widely. I can throw a clay golem along with the beholder (5,000xp). This would multiply the encounter xp by 1.5 and put it at 24,000xp, which is over the 20,000 mark. A shield guardian is only 2,900 xp and would make the encounter just over 21,000xp. It kind of seems a matter of degrees at this point and may come down to knowing your players and party power level.

dave2008

Legend
I was looking at the threshold last night for my group of 4 9th level characters. The per character level is:

9th level 550 easy 1,100 Moderate 1,600 difficult 2,400 deadly
You show 1,250 2,500 3,750 5,000

I do think that the threshold should be higher, and scale more as character level goes up. I had a beholder go against the party (CR14- 11,400xp). It should have been a deadly encounter. It was certainly dangerous and PC death was very real with one character going down while the cleric was slid into a hole and out of the fight for 2 rounds while he ran back to the fight. The players were a bit scared for their characters. Is this the definition of deadly?

There was also a handful of goblins that I did not use to multiply the xp for the encounter since 8 monsters would have doubled or tripled the threat. They were mostly there if the PCs freed the NPC adventurers they were rescuing. The NPCs would have fought these while the PCs had the big threat.

I think that if I used a budget of 20,000xp for a deadly encounter it may have been a bit much, but degrees of deadly can vary widely. I can throw a clay golem along with the beholder (5,000xp). This would multiply the encounter xp by 1.5 and put it at 24,000xp, which is over the 20,000 mark. A shield guardian is only 2,900 xp and would make the encounter just over 21,000xp. It kind of seems a matter of degrees at this point and may come down to knowing your players and party power level.

Thank you for the feedback that is very helpful. Yes, that sounds like the definition of something between hard and deadly based on the DMG. Based on your feedback I think the table ramps up to fast, which I was suspicious it might as it was coming together a little to neatly.

Of course, party composition and monster selection are big factors too, but those will require guidelines on how to modify the chart. Thank you again for the feedback, taht is very helpful!

Xeviat

Hero
Considering the DMG says deadly encounters pose very real possibility of one or more character deaths, I don't think there's really any variation on definitions. A fighter against his clone seems to fit the description.

But the DMG doesn't give any percentages. Party of 4 against their 4 clones is going to be a 50/50 shot of a tpk. I think that's a little beyond deadly. Deadly, from my interpretation of he DMG guidelines, means 1 or 2 of the PCs might die, not the whole party.

I've been running almost nothing but hard and deadly fights per the DMG xp assessments, and I've had a few drop to 0, but no deaths. It does seem like they're a little on the easy side.

I guess its' just me, but encounter building by chart seems to be a holy grail that will never be achieved in D&D. Encounter creation is more an art than science. Yes, some guidelines can help get you started. But don't count on any more than that to create memorable clashes for your players.

dave2008

Legend
But the DMG doesn't give any percentages. Party of 4 against their 4 clones is going to be a 50/50 shot of a tpk. I think that's a little beyond deadly. Deadly, from my interpretation of he DMG guidelines, means 1 or 2 of the PCs might die, not the whole party.

I've been running almost nothing but hard and deadly fights per the DMG xp assessments, and I've had a few drop to 0, but no deaths. It does seem like they're a little on the easy side.

I think your right, and that I went a little to far on the difficulty side when I made my adjustment, at least at lower levels

EDIT: I was assuming a party of 4. I thought that was the assumption in the DMG.

dave2008

Legend
I guess its' just me, but encounter building by chart seems to be a holy grail that will never be achieved in D&D. Encounter creation is more an art than science. Yes, some guidelines can help get you started. But don't count on any more than that to create memorable clashes for your players.

True, but I think better/ more accurate guidelines could be helpful. That is what I am trying to work on.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases