Tales From The Yawning Portal - 7 Classic Dungeons Updated To 5E!

Coming in April is WotC's next official D&D product, Tales from the Yawning Portal. This hardcover book contains seven classic dungeons updated to 5th Edition, from adventures such as Against the Giants, Dead in Thay, Forge of Fury, Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan, Sunless Citadel, Tomb of Horrors, and White Plume Mountain. This is, presumably, the product previously codenamed Labyrinth. It's set for an April 4th release, for $49.95.

C1bHoHNVQAE-3qx.jpg-large.jpg

When the shadows grow long in Waterdeep and the fireplace in the taproom of the Yawning Portal dims to a deep crimson glow, adventurers from across the Sword Coast spin tales and spread rumors of lost treasures.

Within this tome are seven of the deadliest dungeons from the history of Dungeons & Dragons. Some are classics that have hosted an untold number of adventurers, while others are newer creations, boldly staking a claim to their place in the pantheon of notable adventures.

The seeds of these stories now rest in your hands. D&D’s deadliest dungeons are now part of your arsenal of adventures. Enjoy, and remember to keep a few spare character sheets handy.

For use with the fifth edition Player’s Handbook, Monster Manual, and Dungeon Master’s Guide, this book provides fans with a treasure trove of adventures, all of which have been updated to the fifth edition rules. Explore seven deadly dungeons in this adventure supplement for the world’s greatest roleplaying game:

• Against the Giants
  • Dead in Thay
  • Forge of Fury
  • Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan
  • Sunless Citadel
  • Tomb of Horrors
  • White Plume Mountain

Find it on WotC's site here. Forbes has an interview about it here. Mearls says "We're announcing a new D&D product, a book coming out this spring. It is called Tales from the Yawning Portal(out March 24th in local game stores and April 4th everywhere else) It's a collection of seven of the most famous dungeons from Dungeons & Dragons history. They're all collected in one hardcover book. The idea behind it is not only do you want to capture some of the most famous dungeons from the game's history, but we also wanted to give a selection of adventures that you could in theory start at Level 1 with the first dungeon and play all the way up to Level 15 by playing the adventures one after another."

DSC06258-1200x675.jpg

Cover Image

DSC06257-e1483590685311-1200x2134.jpg

Gibbering Mouther

DSC06270-e1483590966307-1200x2134.jpg

DSC06278-e1483590790367-1200x2134.jpg

Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan

Save
Save

SaveSave
SaveSave

Last edited by a moderator:

Barantor

Explorer
Six of the seven set in Greyhawk, but it sounds like they are moving all of them to Forgotten Realms.... hopefully they have at least a paragraph about Greyhawk in there somewhere.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
As someone who's never played any of these, I freely admit that I find this idea tremendously exciting.

flametitan

Explorer
Six of the seven set in Greyhawk, but it sounds like they are moving all of them to Forgotten Realms.... hopefully they have at least a paragraph about Greyhawk in there somewhere.

I don't know if that's entirely the case. They might leave the locations as relatively ambiguous, allowing for DMs to more easily drop them in whatever setting they please.

Personally, I'm curious to see how AL will handle this, as I doubt there will be a specific "storyline" this season.

As someone who's never played any of these, I freely admit that I find this idea tremendously exciting.

As someone who only started playing D&D in 5e, I am also extremely excited, as while I know they're on DMsGuild, I've not had an opportunity to read any of these besides Tomb of Horrors, nevermind play them.

Corpsetaker

First Post
So they use the good old Yawning Portal in the title to suck in the Realms fans only to find that only one of them is a Realms adventure.

If you are going to use the Yawning Portal why not just go ahead and use the biggest dungeon that sits under it and already has an entrance right there in the room?

Sorry Wizards but your cross-overs are getting more ridiculous by the second.

Mike Mearls, in the Forbes article, refers to stories being passed around in the Yawning Portal about legendary dungeons from a variety of worlds - I'm wondering if they might be introducing a little intra-planar travel to the different prime material worlds, via the story for this series of adventures...

Jer

Legend
Supporter

Sunless Citadel and Forge of Fury are not really set in Greyhawk in any meaningful sense. In fact, I'm trying to remember if they even use Greyhawk names for anything other than the mentions of deities (since those were the default deities from the 3e PHB). So it's more like 4 of the seven.

What's really funny is that I've already run Sunless Citadel as a 5e adventure and I did it all on the fly with no prep beyond marking pages in the Monster Manual for the various beasties in the dungeon. This product may be the first that actually gives me little to no utility since I own all of them except for "Dead in Thay" already. It'll be interesting to see how they connect them all together. And I suspect that at least Against the Giants will get a major revamp to make it a more modern adventure.

Jeff Carlsen

Adventurer
This is very appealing to me. I've been wanting smaller adventures, and I haven't actually played or run most of the classic dungeons. I'm sure there are some older players who have each of these in their original form, for whom this will be less interesting. On the other hand, there are going to be tons of players for whom this will be their first introduction to some classic adventures that have already stood the test of time.

I wonder if the Adventurer's League will be playing these.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases