5E Points of Light setting and current cross-over strategy: Round peg in the square hole. - Page 7
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 120
  1. #61
    Member
    Orcus on an Off-Day (Lvl 22)



    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    5,615
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester David View Post
    It was implied that they would not be changing settings, and that the Yawning Portal was serving as a meeting place for planar travellers.



    From the Forbes article:



    We thought to ourselves these adventures were originally placed in a variety of different settings in D&D's history. Some were in Greyhawk, some weren't really attached to a setting, some were in the Realms. We thought if there was any place where you could go to hear stories of these dungeons, it would be the Yawning Portal in Waterdeep in the Forgotten Realms. The idea is that while obviously most people who go to the Yawning Portal are natives of the Forgotten Realms, there are still sometimes either playing the travelers, or adventurers who've been to other worlds. That's where powerful adventurers congregate and talk.



    http://www.forbes.com/sites/toddkenr.../#38fb91165947



    (So the claim that the PoL setting would be better for Tales from the Yawning Portal is a little spurious, as there's not really an inn of the same renown. Although the World Serpent Inn would be soooo much better. I imagine that was either more of a deep cut, or harder to trademark.)

    On Twitter, Crawford said that the adventures would have info for multiple possible settings, including putting the Doomvault in other settings with no connection to Thay or Red Wizards.

    Considering one of the fee known facts about the movie in development is that the Yawning Portal features prominently...guess it plays into their broader media plans.

  2. #62
    Member
    Grandmaster of Flowers (Lvl 18)



    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Lund, Sweden
    Posts
    6,458
    Quote Originally Posted by dave2008 View Post
    Wow @Jester David and @Staffan that is one of the best troll beat downs by evidence I have ever seen. The question is, did you remember to use fire?
    It is a little-known fact that Internet trolls, unlike the regular swampy kind, actually thrive when being flamed.
    XP DM Magic gave XP for this post
    Laugh dave2008, AaronOfBarbaria laughed with this post

  3. #63
    Member
    Superhero (Lvl 15)



    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    City of the Dead
    Posts
    1,184
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester David View Post
    Oh, I know I shouldn't feed the troll but...


    Quoting Ed Greenwood's introduction 1987 dark grey boxed set, word-for-word:
    The "Forgotten Realms" derive their name from the fictitious fact upon which play in my campaign is based: that a multiverse exists, of countless parallel co-existing Prime Material Planes (including the world presented herein, our own modern "Earth", and any other fantasy settings a DM may wish to incorporate in play), all related to the Known Planes of Existance presented in the AD&D system.

    It seems pretty damn clear that Ed was happy setting the Realms in the existing D&D cosmology and was pro-multiverse.


    Citation please


    Then you would have 1993's Code of the Harpers, which mentions Oerth, and is written by one Ed of the Green Wood.

    Plus there are a couple crossover adventures. Castle Spulzeer, from 1997 starts in the Realms and then continues in Ravenloft in The Forgotten Terror. AndFor Duty & Deity crosses over with Tales from the Infinite Staircase.

    This is without getting into Spelljammer which pretty explicitly mentions being able to travel between the Realms and Oerth and Krynn.


    The first of these would be Magic in the evening, written in Dragon #185 from 1992 by... Ed Greenwood.

    You'll find others in 188, 196, 200, 211, 238, 242, and 246. To name a few. All canon, like everything else Ed has written for the Realms.


    Nope. Neither did Drizzt. But it'd be silly to argue he isn't part of the Realms.

    The Realms, as published by TSR, is not the same Realms as that Ed Greenwood used as a setting for his stories. Or likely even uses as the setting for his homegames. It's a variation/ derivative.


    "Wiz fan"?? "Their crossover strategy"??
    The D&D multiverse is a TSR thing that predates the founding of Wizards of the Coast.
    First of all you need to watch you call a troll. I haven't called you any names so try and have a bit more class and don't call me any. I have reported you as well.

    Secondly: This has already been touched on and I have already explained what this all means in detail so I'm not sure why you are repeating it.
    Laugh Jeff Albertson, DM Magic, oknazevad laughed with this post

  4. #64
    Member
    Superhero (Lvl 15)



    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    City of the Dead
    Posts
    1,184
    Quote Originally Posted by Remathilis View Post
    Spoilers from Curse of Strahd

    Spoiler:
    ...the Mad Mage would restore his wits and ends the madness, allowing him to remember that he is none other than Mordenkainen, an archmage of Oerth and the leader of a powerful group of adventurers called the Circle of Eight.
    ...
    Mordenkainen is familiar with worlds beyond his own. For example, if the characters come from the Forgotten Realms and mention this fact to Mordenkainen, he asks them if they know his old friend Elminster of Shadowdale.
    Yes, the reason Mord knows about other worlds is from a Dragon mag article that I have already mentioned earlier in thread.

  5. #65
    Member
    Superhero (Lvl 15)



    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    City of the Dead
    Posts
    1,184
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronOfBarbaria View Post
    To build upon that, Castle Spulzeer firmly attaches the Realms to Ravenloft, and Ravenloft itself is connected to most of the other worlds that exist in official D&D settings in official manner.

    So even before 5th edition provided us Mordenkainen being friends with Elminster in an official product, the worlds of Oerth and Toril were clearly connected in an official capacity.
    Ravenloft is the only other setting, besides Spelljammer, that actually had a connection and it was usually a "one way connection". People were jumping back and forth from FR to Ravenloft and back again. Soth, Jander Sunstar, Vecna, Kas, and many others all came from different worlds. People that got sucked into Ravenloft didn't come back to tell the tale.

    If you read about Castlespulzeer you will see that the PC's can get sucked into Ravenloft and continue on with The Forgotten Terror or the castle itself vanishes.

    Nobody is talking about Ravenloft anyway because we all know how Ravenloft worked and that it was an exception. You will also note that their aren't any other modules based around that.

    Wizards is trying to imply that these connection happen all the time, like it's a common occurrence when it's actually not when you look at all the products.
    Laugh Jeff Albertson laughed with this post

  6. #66
    Member
    The Grand Druid (Lvl 20)



    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ohio, USA
    Posts
    4,022
    Quote Originally Posted by Corpsetaker View Post
    First of all you need to watch you call a troll. I haven't called you any names so try and have a bit more class and don't call me any. I have reported you as well.

    Secondly: This has already been touched on and I have already explained what this all means in detail so I'm not sure why you are repeating it.
    No you haven't - at least not in this thread. I may not be familiar with every piece of FR lore, but I have read every page of this thread. In post #44 You said:

    1) "homedrew disclaimer" for the Ed Greenwood quote - fine. Pretty weak, but fine.

    2) You claimed Ed Greenwood did not support the multiverse with no citation

    3) "None of the official products mention anything about Oerth, Krynn, Darksun, or Mystara." Yet @ Jester David and @Staffan provide evidence to the contrary - you did not react to that. You also said, "The only thing we have is an older Dragon mag article about Elminster having a get together with Mord and Dalamar and that wasn't even written by Ed Greenwood" Again @Jester David provided supporting evidence by Ed Greenwood and you have not addressed that. As expected, when presented evidence contrary to your opinion you ignore it.

    4) Not really relevant.
    XP Jeff Albertson, Jester David, AaronOfBarbaria gave XP for this post

  7. #67
    Member
    Superhero (Lvl 15)



    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    City of the Dead
    Posts
    1,184
    Quote Originally Posted by dave2008 View Post
    Wow @Jester David and @Staffan that is one of the best troll beat downs by evidence I have ever seen. The question is, did you remember to use fire?

    Now I guess we will see what kind of person @Corpsetaker is in how he/she responds to your evidence.
    Not really Dave.
    Laugh darjr laughed with this post

  8. #68
    Member
    Superhero (Lvl 15)



    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    City of the Dead
    Posts
    1,184
    Quote Originally Posted by dave2008 View Post
    No you haven't - at least not in this thread. I may not be familiar with every piece of FR lore, but I have read every page of this thread. In post #44 You said:

    1) "homedrew disclaimer" for the Ed Greenwood quote - fine. Pretty weak, but fine.

    2) You claimed Ed Greenwood did not support the multiverse with no citation

    3) "None of the official products mention anything about Oerth, Krynn, Darksun, or Mystara." Yet @ Jester David and @Staffan provide evidence to the contrary - you did not react to that. You also said, "The only thing we have is an older Dragon mag article about Elminster having a get together with Mord and Dalamar and that wasn't even written by Ed Greenwood" Again @Jester David provided supporting evidence by Ed Greenwood and you have not addressed that. As expected, when presented evidence contrary to your opinion you ignore it.

    4) Not really relevant.
    Yes I did. You should brush up on your reading.
    Laugh Jeff Albertson laughed with this post

  9. #69
    Member
    Superhero (Lvl 15)



    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    City of the Dead
    Posts
    1,184
    Quote Originally Posted by Caliburn101 View Post
    I am not keen on the FR being the world to end all worlds - poaching all the goodies from what I think are better worlds like Greyhawk...

    ... but as far as your contention is concerned, I always thought the PoL a great core of an idea that wasn't sufficiently developed - certainly not enough to make an in-depth campaign out of...

    But then with that in mind I take your point - they could have further developed it for 5th and make it a kind of nexus between the others.

    Interesting point.
    What they could have done was take the AP's and these upcoming classic modules and used those to build up the PoL as they came along. Acererak could have discovered PoL in his travels as a Demi-lich and decided to set up shop there. You then start to add in other villains and heroes to the mix that actually gives new players a new world that is building itself along with them.

  10. #70
    Member
    Superhero (Lvl 15)



    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    City of the Dead
    Posts
    1,184
    Quote Originally Posted by Staffan View Post
    Incorrect. Forgotten Realms Adventures (the 1e to 2e transition book) included the spell Khelben's warding whip, which is specifically designed to counter the various Bigby's ______ hand spells, and the description mentions that apperently the two have run into one another on less-than-friendly terms, and that Khelben thinks Bigby is being obnoxious with his one gimmick. The book also mentions "it is known that Mordenkainen and Vangerdahast both competed magically for the hand of a young extra-planar beauty (both lost, by the way)."
    If you are going to post then post the whole description.

    As noted, this spell was developed by Khelben Arunsun, the Blackstaff of Waterdeep, as a specific counter to the various Bigby spells which have appeared in the Realms. Whether the mythical Bigby of Greyhawk visited the Realms or Khelben or some other Realmsmage visited Oerth to bring these spells from one world to another
    is not known. The Blackstaff has apparently met the great Bigby at some time in the past, though the meeting was apparently not on the best of terms. As the wizard of Waterdeep once noted to his apprentice Illistar, “The old goat comes up with one good gimmick, and beats it to death with a rock.” Bigby’s response, if any, has never been recorded.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 11
    Last Post: Tuesday, 27th October, 2015, 08:43 PM
  2. Points of Light Setting
    By Melkor in forum *General Roleplaying Games Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Monday, 2nd November, 2009, 07:12 AM
  3. Points of Light approach to setting
    By magnusmalkus in forum *Pathfinder & Starfinder
    Replies: 81
    Last Post: Monday, 24th March, 2008, 04:23 PM
  4. Rich Baker on the Points of Light Setting.
    By SPECTRE666 in forum *Pathfinder & Starfinder
    Replies: 72
    Last Post: Tuesday, 8th January, 2008, 04:41 AM
  5. Man - the FR setting already IS Points of Light
    By Matrix Sorcica in forum *Pathfinder & Starfinder
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: Friday, 5th October, 2007, 10:52 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •