D&D 5E 5e Halcyon Academy (Recruiting/OOC)

Azurewraith

Explorer
I said once you solve this conundrum you would level up to level 2. I will be fast forwarding a bit, allowing those who survive to make your decisions as to how you will spend your time, and how you wish to grow. Then you will be level 2.

This is a very fluid game, character wise. You have control over your character’s development. But at the same time, I’m wanting to limit the “I built this great character and he’ll be awesome at level 12 when this skill comes into play.” A person can plan out what they want to accomplish in their life, but life happens sometimes. I want this game to be played in the now. Already, at lvl 1, your characters are head and shoulders above the average person on this world. Some are versed with every weapon there is, whereas most soldIers only have a rudimentary knowledge of one weapon, and common people don’t even have that. Others can cast spells effortlessly, even if they do only have two spell slots. That’s two more than 99% of the population.
I think this often goes forgotten that even at level one pcs are probably as strong as a small village.

tglassy

Adventurer
What I’ve decided to do is, once this adventure is over, I’ll be fast forwarding six months. You level up to level 2. I will allow a bit of roll playing, Allow you to have some fun at the academy for a bit first, get into trouble, that sort of thing. But the Finals will be looming over everything. They will be tests designed to stretch you, make you utilize everything you’ve learned.

If you survive the finals, you’ll elevate to level 3, and you’ll have Summer Break. At that point, I’ll allow a little roll play away from the Academy, to wherever you want to go, if you want to go at all. Go visit family, visit some other place in the world, or stay behind. Just a chance for you to help develop your backstory a bit, visit people your characters would have known, see how you’ve changed. I expect this part to be quick, no more than a few posts per person, and if someone ants to go deeper, we can talk about that. If there’s something specific you’d like to do, like “get revenge on that count who slighted my family”, then we can explore that.

Once Year 2 starts, you’ll be level 3, and I’m going to up the deadliness. Things will get a little more serious at the academy, and you’ll find some challenges during your classes that could kill/maim/impair you in some way. There will be a mid year adventure, like your current one, where you will level up to lvl 4, and then a Final Exam at the end. Survive that, and you’ll be level 5.

I’ll keep to that order. A mid year adventure, which gets bigger and better every year, and an end of year Finals, with role play and fun in between. You level up after each of these, so you level up twice a year.

As for death, there is magic that can raise a person from the dead, and it can be utilized. But there are ways to die where that won’t help you. And there are times when it won’t be feasible. So don’t count on it until you can cast it yourself, and even then, it’s not a sure thing. Hell, if you wind up abusing it, I might pull the Dragonball Z rule and say you can only be resurrected 3 times, or some such. Or perhaps a particular spell can only redirect you once, and you’ll need a more powerful version every subsequent time. Like, Revivify can only work once, then it has to be Raise Dead, then Resurrection or some such.

If you lose your character, and want to keep playing, we will deal with that as we go. Depending on the circumstances, you might have a few options.

Just thought I’d lay out my thoughts.

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
“get revenge on that count who slighted my family”

I completely skipped over a letter in "count" when reading that the first time... Where is my brain at? LOL

gargoyleking

Adventurer
Kahless could I ask you to not use black text in your posts? My app is set to night mode and I can barely see black on the dark grey background.

Remove ads