D&D 4E Changing the Combat Parameters of 4th Edition

Zeromaru X

Arkhosian scholar and coffee lover
I'm reading the document I downloaded from the 1st post. It mentions a lot of converted products. Were can I find them?

Also, as a personal opinion, I don't see the need to change 4e alignments to match the Gygaxian ones. But I'm not thrilled with the Gygaxian alignments, so is just a personal thing.

Last edited:

Myrhdraak

Explorer
My personal take would probably be :

Save Haven - everything recovers

Wary Rest (Adventure Rest) - recover half of 3d4 HS*, half you daily attack powers and all your utility powers
*I know it looks awkward, but I want a very high probably of a median result

Interrupted rest - recover 1d4 HS, one daily attack power, and one daily utility power

I'm not proficient enough in your system to comment on Exhaustion... (as of right now, but I'll get there!)

I like your proposal to have some randomness attached to the Wary and Interrupted Rest. I was initially thinking to have it as a percentage of the whole, but some randomness would make sense considering that you might have had a bad or good sleep in these dangerous environments.

/Myrhdraak

Myrhdraak

Explorer
I don't think it needs to be so formal. We have 2 points, short rest and long rest, which define what you can get in 5 minutes and what you can get in 8 hours of 'camping' or better. While the published rules don't carefully examine what could come in between, its not really hard to extrapolate. Resting under difficult circumstances is worth something like getting back half your expended surges and daily powers. Perhaps lesser amounts of rest can have some benefit, but again it really is just as well to leave it to the GM. Once you start making hard rules you're likely to start generating mechanical questions and getting answers that might be inconvenient.

However, if you want to achieve certain behaviours in the party, it is important that the players know the rest rules you are using so that they can make decisions based on the consequences they will be expecting. Thats why I want to have some clear rules to my own party at least. If they know they will hardly recover anything while travelling through the wilderness, a single random encounter during the adventuring day in the wilderness will matter, if they expect to travel for 7 days before reaching civilization. If they know they will not be able to recover much resources in the dungeon unless they find a really safe area, with no chances for random monsters - I can plan my dungeon adventures in a much better way, to increase that likelihood of finding the adventure sweet sport (low on resources, but manage to pull off the final fight).

/Myrhdraak

Greenjeff

First Post
Wow. just discovered this thread. Really awesome work Myrhdraak! Would love to see how this project turned out. Also hope to be able to contribute somehow. Is there anything I can do?

Myrhdraak

Explorer
Wow. just discovered this thread. Really awesome work Myrhdraak! Would love to see how this project turned out. Also hope to be able to contribute somehow. Is there anything I can do?

I will send you some material. There have been some contributions from others over the years so please add to the work.

Myrhdraak

Explorer
We are not playing that often these days, so I do not get the chance to see the rule changes in action that often. However, I had a nice two days session using the rules a week or two ago. So far the rule changes and the combat simulations have played out quite well. The number of rounds needed to face the enemies are so far very predictable, allowing me to really plan the adventure ahead and predict the number of encounters I will be able to manage in a session. The challenge level has also been quite valuable. I can predict quite well when I am stretching the PC resources to that sweat spot when it becomes a challenge.
As the PCs just levelled up to 10th level I am working with incorporating the old D&D Birthright rules to see how it can be used for managing the country they are now influencing using the domain rules. Seems to be adding some interesting roleplaying depth to the game so far.

/Myrhdraak

Ran2

First Post
Could a computer interface for the RPG 4.5 be of any use... bringing it closer to the player... making less bookkeeping = playing faster... ? Greetings...

Myrhdraak

Explorer
Could a computer interface for the RPG 4.5 be of any use... bringing it closer to the player... making less bookkeeping = playing faster... ? Greetings...

Most likely yes. Currently I use Word for class compendium with all their powers and PowerPoint for character sheets. Having it in word make it quite easy to edit, copy and paste.
/Myrhdraak

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases