CONAN Is Finally Here!

After appearing three years running in the 10 Most Anticipated RPGs of the Year list, it seems that Conan's streak has come to and end - because Conan: Adventures in an Age Undreamed Of has been released! You can get it right now from Modiphius' web store, and will be able to get it elsewhere from tomorrow. PDF only, for the moment. You can also grab a book of six adventures, Jewelled Thrones of the Earth. Conan: Adventures in an Age Undreamed of is based on Modiphius' own 2d20 system (which also powers their upcoming Star Trek Adventures game). The book is now available for review in the reviews area.
After appearing three years running in the 10 Most Anticipated RPGs of the Year list, it seems that Conan's streak has come to and end - because Conan: Adventures in an Age Undreamed Of has been released! You can get it right now from Modiphius' web store, and will be able to get it elsewhere from tomorrow. PDF only, for the moment. You can also grab a book of six adventures, Jewelled Thrones of the Earth. Conan: Adventures in an Age Undreamed of is based on Modiphius' own 2d20 system (which also powers their upcoming Star Trek Adventures game). The book is now available for review in the reviews area.

5_conan.jpeg

JTotE-Cover-Mock-Up.jpeg

SaveSave

Am I the only one put off by those bundle prices? As an old collector I'm hoping they will offer all the books for sale individually, eventually (in print).

It doesn't seem like my cup of tea personally because I am not a fan of dice pools and crunchy mechanics, so I'm not sure if I will play this system anytime soon.
From what I recall in the preview, some number of months ago, there's also a pool of dice that the GM gets to kind of mess with the players, right? Like, you can choose to get an advantage now in order to give the GM dice to use against you later on, or something?

I don't recall the details, but I remember being excited about this game, and then completely losing interest once I heard about the meta-game resource mechanics.

From what I recall in the preview, some number of months ago, there's also a pool of dice that the GM gets to kind of mess with the players, right? Like, you can choose to get an advantage now in order to give the GM dice to use against you later on, or something?

The GM uses the Doom dice pool and loved the idea as it reminded me of Marvel Heroic roleplaying, hence why I jumped on the KS. Loving everything I've seen online game plays and in reading.

Skywalker

Adventurer
Am I the only one put off by those bundle prices? As an old collector I'm hoping they will offer all the books for sale individually, eventually (in print).

They will. You just benefit from approximately 50% off the retail price through the bundles, and can even try the rulebook before you buy any bundle by way of a price reduction.

Last edited by a moderator:

Skywalker

Adventurer
If people are interested, there is a detailed quickstart available for Conan here.

I started with a negative view of the system but it has won me over. Its effectively similar to D&D5e in terms of complexity. The Momentum and Doom Pool mechanics can be jarring for some who don't like meta-game mechanics, but I found it relatively easy to remove the most offensive options.

The lore in the books is very good and the adventures in Jeweled Thrones are pretty fantastic too.

Oh and it has one of the most metal hand-drawn character sheets in existence :D

slygeek

Explorer

I don't recall the details, but I remember being excited about this game, and then completely losing interest once I heard about the meta-game resource mechanics.

That would be Doom points and they help and encourage the DM to spice up combat. Something that is much needed in Sword and Sorcery. As does momentum, a mechanic that can be used to perform maneuvers and the like.

Don't knock it till you try it. The meta gaming are in fact tools that help tell a story and you would be surprised at the positive effect it has at the table.

Water Bob

Adventurer
That would be Doom points and they help and encourage the DM to spice up combat. Something that is much needed in Sword and Sorcery. As does momentum, a mechanic that can be used to perform maneuvers and the like.

Don't knock it till you try it. The meta gaming are in fact tools that help tell a story and you would be surprised at the positive effect it has at the table.

Doom Points are much needed in Sword and Sorcery?

I use d20 Conan, and our fights are quite lively. Tankards smashing over skulls. Tables shoved up against a character, trapping him between that and the wall. Maneuvers used like feints and disarms and sunders. A combatant will swing his blade then head butt his foe. And, sometimes blade combat devolve into wrestling matches. All this using the d20 Conan rules with no Meta-Game Doom Points.

I don't think that they are needed at all.

What part of "Thou shalt not meta-game!" are you forgetting?

In a role-playing game, everyone at the table is there to play their role. It is not some exercise in collective storytelling. The only story that matters is the one which arises naturally as a result of everyone playing their roles. A story which comes about as a result of meta-gaming is pointless and a waste of our time at the table.

Edit: I don't mean to disparage anyone in this thread for liking this kind of game. I just wanted to explain why I, personally, as a role-player, would never play this. It is anathema to the basic reason why I play RPGs in the first place. I'm sure it's a fine game for other people, who play for other reasons.

Last edited by a moderator:

Oakfist

Banned
Banned
What part of "Thou shalt not meta-game!" are you forgetting?

In a role-playing game, everyone at the table is there to play their role. It is not some exercise in collective storytelling...

WHAT?! Of course an RPG is collective story telling! True, everyone has their role, but each of them fit within the same story or sequence of events that the game takes place in. In terms of the GM dice pools, whats the difference between those and the times a GM fudges a number to make a fight more challenging or to help a player along who's had cold dice at the table all night? This is just another way of adjudication, that's all.

WHAT?! Of course an RPG is collective story telling! True, everyone has their role, but each of them fit within the same story or sequence of events that the game takes place in. In terms of the GM dice pools, whats the difference between those and the times a GM fudges a number to make a fight more challenging or to help a player along who's had cold dice at the table all night? This is just another way of adjudication, that's all.
This might not be the place to have this discussion. This thread is for talking about the new Conan game, and we're both in agreement that the game uses this mechanic.

But to answer very briefly, there is little difference between the various meta-game mechanics in question. As I'm sure you know, though, there are plenty of players who don't want the GM to fudge the dice to help them, even if they're having bad luck all night. Likewise, there are a lot of players who don't want the GM to fudge anything to make a fight more (or less) challenging. We play in order to see what happens, and changing a result because you don't like it is entirely missing the point.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads