D&D 5E New to 5E. Looking for advice on a Monk/Warlock build

Savage Orc

First Post
So I played D&D years ago when it was AD&D (1E I guess you would call it) back in the early/mid eighties, didn't really get into 2E, but did a brief stint with 3E (a handful of gaming sessions before my group fell apart) when it first came out.

I just recently started getting into 5E and was wondering about trying a Monk/Warlock build.

My idea was to do a half elf using pregen stats.
Str:8
Dex: 15 (16 from +1 race bonus)
Con: 12
Int: 10
Wis: 13 (14 from +1 race bonus)
Cha: 14 (16 from +2 race bonus)

I was thinking that maybe everyone in my Monastary was devoted at one level or another to a patron (not sure if it would be an Archfey, Fiend, GOO).

I was thinking taking 6 levels in Warlock and the rest in Monk. Probably start out as Monk first 2 levels then 3 warlock, then alternate maybe. I'm not sure. 6 levels of Warlock would get the 3rd level spell slot and a 3rd Invocation (any ideas for those?). And the 6th level Pact ability (Misty Step from Archfey would be nice if I get overwhelmed)

Hex would be used for the extra d6 necrotic damage. And originally I was thinking pact of the blade so I could have my monk weapon (spear or quarterstaff) appear for combat. If I understand it correctly I could use the weapon two handed for 1d8 damage (+1d6 from Hex), and then Flurry of Blows for 2 attacks at 1d4 +1d6 (Hex). But I'm not sure if maybe the Tome pact might work for the extra cantrips if you think if any would be worthwhile.

I also considered Archfey for the faerie fire, but since it is a concentration spell I couldn't use it with Hex. But it would be good for the whole party, I assume. Maybe you would have advice if another patron would be better.

At 4th level I could take Warcaster feat instead of ability increase to help with the concentration. And at low levels Armor of Shadows would be 1 point better than my Monk AC (10+Dex+Wis modifier). Mirror Image would help too in melee. And Eldritch Blast for ranged when needed.

So what do you all think? Will this work out? Should I do something else with spells/cantrips that would make this better? How about the levels: Monk 14/ Warlock 6? Does that make sense?

Any advice would be appreciated.

mellored

Legend
Hex doesn't work well with flurry of blows, as you only get 1 bonus action, and monsters tend not to live too long so you'd be spending a lot of bonus actions moving hex around. It still hasits place against the big foes, but not something you want to depend on.

I would probably go more with fairie fire, hypnotic pattern, hold person, and other control spell. Archfey 7 can get greater invisibility which is great.

The biggest issue is you want 3 stats, and not many chances to improve them. Meaning you will be a bit behind in raw power, though have more versatility. You may want to go tome warlock and pick up shillelagh, which will let you use Cha and a quaterstaff to attack with. It won't help your flurry of blows, AC, or monk stuns, but it could take a little pressure off.

I have a houserule that let's multiclass characters pick 2 stats they want. For instance, you could use Cha in place of Wis for monk stuns, AC, and abilities. You might want to ask your DM if he will allow it.

Last edited:

Yunru

Banned
Banned
The problem with the Monk is you can't wear armour. Which means either you rely on Unarmored Defence (and thus need to pump your Dex and Wis scores), or you pick up Mage Armour, or a level of Dragon Sorcerer (in both cases you still need to pump Dex).
Additionally, your Monk attacks want Dex, and your Monk saves want Wis.

Meanwhile the Warlock wants Cha.

You don't have enough ASI for all three, even without feats.

What I would suggest if you're really wanting a Monk/Warlock, is to ignore Charisma, and use the Warlock levels for support. You could also pick up Armour of Shadows which would lower your reliance upon Wisdom, but stunning people is cool.

Savage Orc

First Post
Thanks for the replies. I hadn't thought about both Hex (especially moving it from one creature to another) and FoB both requiring a bonus action.

I guess if I didn't worry about Cha as much it might be better. Not sure if Shillelagh would be worth it since I would basically be doing the exact same thing without the spell using my Dex as a monk (plus use the versatile attribute and do 1d8 and blade pact weapon so treated as magical). Or am I missing something.

I may rethink the setup since I wanted to focus mostly on Monk anyway. Having Warlock levels as support may be better. Or maybe another class might be better.

Thanks

mellored

Legend
Thanks for the replies. I hadn't thought about both Hex (especially moving it from one creature to another) and FoB both requiring a bonus action.

I guess if I didn't worry about Cha as much it might be better. Not sure if Shillelagh would be worth it since I would basically be doing the exact same thing without the spell using my Dex as a monk (plus use the versatile attribute and do 1d8 and blade pact weapon so treated as magical). Or am I missing something.

I may rethink the setup since I wanted to focus mostly on Monk anyway. Having Warlock levels as support may be better. Or maybe another class might be better.

Thanks
I suggest you just start playing a monk. Don't worry about level 20 until you get there.

cooperjer

Explorer
Did you get a chance to review the Monk: Way of the Shadows? This may have some features that you would find interesting and could possibly be flavored as gifts from a patron.

Savage Orc

First Post
I have looked at the shadow monk but haven't decided which path to follow. It certainly has some good abilities. At one point I had considered the tranquility monk with warlock archfey spells for a mostly support character but I want to fight too much. I'm now thinking that it might be good to have some more support abilities for the party makeup. Faerie Fire is a good example as well as being able to knock prone via way of open hand. But the darkness, silence, and minor illusion would be helpful too.

Savage Orc

First Post
Just a quick question since I'm still learning. With the tome pact what does it mean when it says "cast at will" the 3 cantrips you get? Is it as it sounds, at will so whenever you want even if it isn't your turn (turn confused me at first since AD&D a turn was 10 rounds and a round was a minute long :) )

So if I had blade ward as one of those 3 cantrips or any other of the good ones out there I could just cast whenever?

mellored

Legend
Just a quick question since I'm still learning. With the tome pact what does it mean when it says "cast at will" the 3 cantrips you get? Is it as it sounds, at will so whenever you want even if it isn't your turn (turn confused me at first since AD&D a turn was 10 rounds and a round was a minute long :) )

So if I had blade ward as one of those 3 cantrips or any other of the good ones out there I could just cast whenever?

You still need to take the action to cast the spell (or bonus action for shillelagh). But that is the only limit.

WarpedAcorn

First Post

Blade Ward has a casting time of 1 Action. So in order to cast that spell it needs to be your turn and you need to spend your Action to cast it. Every Round you get 1 Action, 1 Bonus Action, and 1 Reaction. You can cast Blade Ward or any Cantrip as much as you want, but unfortunately not when its someone else's turn. =)

Remove ads