D&D 5E [UA Favored Soul]Are there any obvious cleric spells that combine well with metamagic?

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
Ok, I managed to last one entire year without initiating a sorcerer thread. So I guess I can post one now.

Ok, last UA brought a new version of the Favored Soul that basically can get any cleric spell. So the main question is exactly that one. Which spells are good with metamagic and which ones can get actually broken?

Between cantrips and leveled spells this access brings out 86 new spells in core. So it would be a good idea to go little by little and checking which spells could get out of hand and which ones don't actually benefit from metamagic.

Remember, the idea is to discuss possible good uses and possible overpowered uses, not the merits of the subclass, or whether sorcerers have the right to exist. I beg you to stay focused on the main topic, black and white is this spell overpowered with this metamagic or only good or actually useless? (And remember that Metamagic comes online only at third level)

This is the list of cleric spells that sorcerers don't have access to (* marks spells that are also on the Wizard list):

Cantrips

1. Guidance
  2. Thaumaturgy
  3. Resistance
  4. Sacred Flame
  5. Spare the Dying

1st Level
  6. Detect Poison and Disease
  7. Shield of Faith
  8. Sanctuary
  9. Bless
  10. Inflict Wounds
  11. Bane
  12. Command
  13. Healing Word
  14. Purify Food and Drink
  15. Detect Evil and Good
  16. Guiding Bolt
  17. Cure Wounds
  18. Create or Destroy Water
  19. Protection from Evil and Good*

2nd Level
  20. Aid
  21. Prayer of Healing
  22. Locate Object*
  23. Continual Flame*
  24. Find Traps
  25. Protection from Poison
  26. Calm Emotions
  27. Lesser Restoration
  28. Silence
  29. Augury
  30. Spiritual Weapon
  31. Warding Bond
  32. Gentle Repose*
  33. Zone of Truth

3rd Level
  34. Animate Dead
  35. Remove Curse*
  36. Revivify
  37. Feign Death*
  38. Glyph of Warding*
  39. Create Food and Water
  40. Meld into Stone
  41. Mass Healing Word
  42. Spirit Guardians
  43. Speak with Dead
  44. Magic Circle
  45. Beacon of Hope
  46. Bestow Curse*
  47. Sending*

4th Level
  48. Death Ward
  49. Guardian of Faith
  50. Control Water*
  51. Freedom of Movement
  52. Divination
  53. Locate Creature
  54. Stone Shape*

5th Level
  55. Hallow
  56. Scrying*
  57. Mass Cure Wounds
  58. Greater Restoration
  59. Geas*
  60. Planar Binding*
  61. Commune
  62. Dispel Evil and Good
  63. Flame Strike
  64. Legend Lore*
  65. Contagion
  66. Raise Dead

6th Level
  67. Planar Ally
  68. Find the Path
  69. Word of Recall
  70. Forbiddance
  71. Heroes' Feast
  72. Heal
  73. Blade Barrier
  74. Create Undead*
  75. Harm

7th Level
  76. Regenerate
  77. Divine Word
  78. Conjure Celestial
  79. Resurrection
  80. Symbol*

8th Level
  81. Antimagic Field*
  82. Holy Aura
  83. Control Weather*

9th Level
  84. Astral Projection*
  85. Mass Heal
  86. True Resurrection

Last edited:

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
Ok. Let's start with cantrips (All qualify for Subtle, remember that during half your career you only have access to two)

Guidance.-Subtle can do wonders to help in social situations and Distant could help an ally at the distance. For collaborative rolls Twinning might be worth it. I'm not so sure how much you want to quicken it since nobody I know checks the action economy out of combat.

Thaumaturgy.-Basically Prestidigitation for clerics, so unless there have been shenanigans with it, I doubt Thaumaturgy will have any.

Resistance.- If used with quicken, it would allow an easy way to keep it always on on the barbarian or any squishy. Twinning might justify using your action.

Sacred Flame.- It is a good damage with an element that few enemies are resistant to. Good for twinning or Distant.

Spare the Dying.- Easier to apply with Quicken and Distant. If you have two downed comrades you have bigger problems.

mellored

Legend
Quicken bless.
Twin raise dead, sanctuary, or heal/regeneration.
Subtle/distance contagion or spiritual weapon. Just to do things while you hide.
Command (+warcaster + booming blade) and Spiritual Guardians are also just good spells to get, if not particularly with meta magic.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
You've got silence, and you've got a way to cast in silence. That's great if facing other casters in enclosed quarters.

Twin works great on a variety of single target buffs and debuffs, as well as any single target expensive material components like raise dead and resurrect.

Not sure why the gods who demand a price to raise someone will let a sorcerer pledged to them twist their magic about, but there you have it. ;)

Hmm, quicken Bless so it then applies that round to your attack cantrip (since you can't cast a spell using an action after casting bless).

Twinned Guiding Bolt looks very effective, particularly since at the cost of only 1 sorcery point it can be easily be done repeatedly. Even better if you bless yourself first.

I also agree about the quickened bless.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases