D&D 5E Roleplaying choices for a Tabaxi?

rgoodbb

Adventurer
So I’ve been allowed to play a Tabaxi for my next character. I know with Kenku it is advised to not do the voice thing again and again as it will likely irk everyone quickly.

I’m thinking the same about Tabaxi and cat behaviours/mannerisms. That could get old fast. So I will keep that to a minimum. But when you get passed the fact that you are playing a cat person who has obsessions and quirks. What might be some interesting ways to roleplay them? I’m looking for ideas to give me a little inspiration.

She is a Tabaxi Lore Bard 3rd with a fiddle. People are pursuing her for something she has stolen.

I know I’m in danger of getting a ‘what do YOU want to play?’ message and usually I’d agree with that, but the weird thing is I don’t have anything at the moment. Usually if I play a human I get something straight away. Maybe because the race is exotic for want of a better word, it’s scuppering me a little. If I don’t have anything, then I’ll just be more likely to play my player self, and that’s not escapism for me.

The ideas really don’t have to make this PC cool or special or amusing in any way. Just would like some ideas. Any thoughts from the great, creative ENmind?

Thanks in advance for your time and responses

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
When in the tavern with your fellow adventurers, order a tankard of ale and, when it's set before you, slowly push it off the table onto the floor.

rgoodbb

Adventurer
When in the tavern with your fellow adventurers, order a tankard of ale and, when it's set before you, slowly push it off the table onto the floor.

That's quite astounding.

You have just summed up the attitude of every cat I have ever had in one sentence

CydKnight

Explorer
As long a you are roleplaying and keeping it true to your character, I don't ever give players a beef about how they chose to do so. Other players being irked by the way you role play a character sounds like their problem to me. Within the game itself, you can bet that some characters would get annoyed at least sometimes by the mannerisms of others. The point is usually for everyone to work together to achieve a common goal (usually) so perhaps voicing petty annoyances should also be role-played?

As for role-playing a Tabaxi, I don't necessarily see them as an offshoot of a domesticated house cat but you could certainly role-play them as a lolcat if you wanted. Based on their official description and lore in 5E, they are more like a jungle cat of some sort like a jaguar, puma, or possibly a leopard giving them a combination of reclusiveness and cautiousness mixed with the possible edginess of a prey stalker. However, playing an opposite to that could be very fun and may tie-in with the idea that an adventuring Tabaxi is a bit of rarity. They are typically reclusive and stay with their clan but those that do adventure do so out of an obsessive curiosity of something, I would incorporate that as a focal point in my role-play.

Tony Vargas

Legend
I’m thinking the same about Tabaxi and cat behaviours/mannerisms. That could get old fast. So I will keep that to a minimum.
It might not suck too hard if you could pull off a Julie Newmar or Ertha Kitt as Catwoman mannerism or two.

The next not-quite-AL table over at the FLGS features not one but two Tabaxi - Clerics, twins, contrasting (but not opposed) Domains ( I believe it's Life and Trickery), and they play up the feline bit. FWIW.

She is a Tabaxi Lore Bard 3rd with a fiddle. People are pursuing her for something she has stolen.

...Maybe because the race is exotic for want of a better word, it’s scuppering me a little.
It's good you clued into that, players will often pick an exotic race or other option and play up just that part of it - and do so too much - it's very tempting and very easy to do. It's not 'bad RP' per se, but wanting to do more is understandable.

This'll sound touchy-feely, but try being more aware of how you & your fellow players play less exotic characters - humans obviously - where there aren't exotic stereotypes to fall back on. Aim for that as you play your exotic character, and let the exotic slip in around the edges when it comes up rather than being the main event.

rgoodbb

Adventurer
This'll sound touchy-feely, but try being more aware of how you & your fellow players play less exotic characters - humans obviously - where there aren't exotic stereotypes to fall back on. Aim for that as you play your exotic character, and let the exotic slip in around the edges when it comes up rather than being the main event.

This was my first thought, so its nice to have that validated.

I do aim to put some cat bits in, as I'm afraid that others will want to do that for my character if I don't. Not that I'm trying to be selfish but its my pre..Character.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter

Cat burglar, eh?

One of my cats used to "help" me play cello by nibbling on the strings while I played. Perhaps- Jimi Hendrix-like- your PC could incorporate that technique as part of fiddle playing. Instead of pizzicato, call it...nipzicato?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
As for role-playing a Tabaxi, I don't necessarily see them as an offshoot of a domesticated house cat but you could certainly role-play them as a lolcat if you wanted. Based on their official description and lore in 5E, they are more like a jungle cat of some sort like a jaguar, puma, or possibly a leopard giving them a combination of reclusiveness and cautiousness mixed with the possible edginess of a prey stalker. However, playing an opposite to that could be very fun and may tie-in with the idea that an adventuring Tabaxi is a bit of rarity. They are typically reclusive and stay with their clan but those that do adventure do so out of an obsessive curiosity of something, I would incorporate that as a focal point in my role-play.
1) LOLcat RP of a tabaxi could be entertaining if done well.

2) Near as I can tell, the main difference between felis domesticus and the big cats is the size of their prey.
Comparative examples:
[video=youtube;WT3YGE5Cj0A]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WT3YGE5Cj0A&sns=em[/video]
[video=youtube;J11uu8L8FTY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J11uu8L8FTY&sns=em[/video]

Clearly, this means your tabaxi should sit in boxes of all kinds- emptied treasure chests, small boats, empty caskets, etc.

3) you must wear boots

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases