D&D 5E Roleplaying choices for a Tabaxi?

Oofta

Legend
I could see a lot of cat behaviors what would be pretty simple without being to annoying.

• Distracted easily by bright shiny objects/lights.
  • You get bored easily.
  • Sometimes you just start dancing for no reason (the Tabaxi version of running around chasing your own tail).
  • You're a little aloof and pretend not to care about anything.
  • You hiss when angry.
  • You are a predator. When something gets your attention, it really gets your attention.
  • You like sleeping in odd places and positions.
  • You hate being dirty.
  • You are constantly filing your claws/nails.

Of course if I were playing a Tabaxi, I'd have to do my best Antonio Banderas accent. It probably wouldn't be very good so maybe it's best I'm not playing one. :)

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
We might have a Kenku in the party so.........

I can see where this is going...

3f06a1a957da8eb4f768c4d3951584b3.jpg

ThakTheManApe

First Post
So I’ve been allowed to play a Tabaxi for my next character. I know with Kenku it is advised to not do the voice thing again and again as it will likely irk everyone quickly.

I’m thinking the same about Tabaxi and cat behaviours/mannerisms. That could get old fast. So I will keep that to a minimum. But when you get passed the fact that you are playing a cat person who has obsessions and quirks. What might be some interesting ways to roleplay them? I’m looking for ideas to give me a little inspiration.

She is a Tabaxi Lore Bard 3rd with a fiddle. People are pursuing her for something she has stolen.

I know I’m in danger of getting a ‘what do YOU want to play?’ message and usually I’d agree with that, but the weird thing is I don’t have anything at the moment. Usually if I play a human I get something straight away. Maybe because the race is exotic for want of a better word, it’s scuppering me a little. If I don’t have anything, then I’ll just be more likely to play my player self, and that’s not escapism for me.

The ideas really don’t have to make this PC cool or special or amusing in any way. Just would like some ideas. Any thoughts from the great, creative ENmind?

Thanks in advance for your time and responses

I've thought about playing as one at some point when either one of my characters dies, or when I pick up a new campaign. I've been reading on their quirks and habits and stuff. Here's a few ideas I've had.

-I spend all my gold buying magical items(whether or not my character can use them) if there's a good story behind the item. If I can't use it, I give it away.
-When I see small prey, I may wander away from the party to get dinner from the party(which may still be squirming when I bring it back).
-I love listening to stories, especially stories about (fill in the blank), and have been known to empty my purse for a particularly good story(this probably only ever comes up if you've got a DM who would do some storytelling).
-When I arrive in a new town, if I see something that catches my eye, I absolutely have to have it. I'll do almost anything, or spend any amount of coin to have it. It could be a valuable magic item, a well-drawn map, a handsomely-made article of clothing, or a decorative spoon(etc, etc).
-If I see a housecat(stray or otherwise), I spend an inordinate amount of time trying to talk to it and make friends.

Lanliss

Explorer
I could see a lot of cat behaviors what would be pretty simple without being to annoying.

• Distracted easily by bright shiny objects/lights.
  • You get bored easily.
  • Sometimes you just start dancing for no reason (the Tabaxi version of running around chasing your own tail).
  • You're a little aloof and pretend not to care about anything.
  • You hiss when angry.
  • You are a predator. When something gets your attention, it really gets your attention.
  • You like sleeping in odd places and positions.
  • You hate being dirty.
  • You are constantly filing your claws/nails.

Of course if I were playing a Tabaxi, I'd have to do my best Antonio Banderas accent. It probably wouldn't be very good so maybe it's best I'm not playing one. :)

I agree with most of this list, but have a couple of adjustments. For the dancing, I would say just run. Out of nowhere, in the middle of a market square or something, just start sprinting as fast as you can, and just keep going until the DM wants you to make a con save to avoid exhaustion. do this at least once a week, or daily if your cat is a particularly annoying one.

For sleeping, I would say you can sleep literally anywhere that isn't wet/damp.

When confronted with a noxious scent (maybe something like a market with many perfumes) you cannot speak, and instead stand there with your mouth slightly open, and your nose wrinkled.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
You sit on warm things whenever possible.

...which begs the question, "is there an Azer in the party?"

Last edited:

rgoodbb

Adventurer
I'll do almost anything, or spend any amount of coin to have it. It could be a valuable magic item, a well-drawn map, a handsomely-made article of clothing, or a decorative spoon(etc, etc).

That caught my eye.

Her name is Jessabelle Diddle

She of course does not know this yet, but her life and actions will inspire another bard from a different time and dimension to write a famous poem about her

I already have her name and the fiddle. I just need a spoon, a plate, a dog, a moon and a cow. Shouldn't be too hard should it?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Perhaps she will meet a nice Hound Archon with a sense of humor.

Hound_Archon_for_Paizo_by_MichaelJaecks.jpg

And his high-jumping buddy from Hurloon.

magic-gathering-hurloon-minotaur_1_217c4412260ea8631912032544df6d97.jpg

...and learn to fight with a particular polearm (after stealing one, of course): Bohemian Earspoon

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases