D&D 5E My 5e Tomb of Horrors and Dungeon Tile Use

Sands999

First Post
So last night I began to run my own 5e conversion of Tomb of Horrors. It was a macabre success! I printed out some tiles for this adventure. After using them, I really don't see how you can play this dungeon without some sort of visual reference. I got my tiles for free at Drive Thru RPG and printed them out at Fed Ex. Spent my Friday evening cutting them out for Saturday's game and just laid them down on foam core as they went from room to room. In this way I was able to ask the players exactly where they went and it also allowed me to limit their site if the dungeon to what their players would be seeing. The pic below is when they went into the false entrance tunnel and half the party got trapped.

IMG_1492.JPG

I fot got my tiles here from Red Pub Games: http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/86168/Tomb-of-Horrors-Map-Set. If you get the new Tales From the Yawning Portal book and want to run ToH, I highly suggest using these free tiles.

Last edited:

CydKnight

Explorer
I've long felt that most dungeons are better with tiles/maps/minis/visual aids. Thanks for the pictures.
Generally speaking I cannot disagree but I have also found that it depends on how well an individual can visualize things from a verbal description. I admit that I am terrible at it myself but have had some people visualize far better than I thought I described it. Then I've seen others be outright confused with whatever it was I was describing no matter how many times the description was tweaked or repeated. For larger battles I definitely feel it is much easier to keep track of what's going on with visual aids otherwise I feel most situations can be managed without them.

Luz

Explorer
Nicely done, Sands999! I love using visual aids like that as well, they're especially great for self-contained dungeons like ToH.

Sands999

First Post
Nicely done, Sands999! I love using visual aids like that as well, they're especially great for self-contained dungeons like ToH.

Hey thanks! My players seemed to like the look of the tiles too. Probably better than the dungeon itself ha ha ha. But that's ToH for you.

Remove ads