Unearthed Arcana 5E Psionics Alert! The Mystic Is Back In Unearthed Arcana

It's back! The long-awaited new version of the mystic - 5th Edition's psionic class - is here. "The mystic class, a master of psionics, has arrived in its entirety for you to try in your D&D games. Thanks to your playtest feedback on the class’s previous two versions, the class now goes to level 20, has six subclasses, and can choose from many new psionic disciplines and talents. Explore the material here—there’s a lot of it—and let us know what you think in the survey we release in the next installment of Unearthed Arcana." Click the image below for the full 28-page PDF!

It's back! The long-awaited new version of the mystic - 5th Edition's psionic class - is here. "The mystic class, a master of psionics, has arrived in its entirety for you to try in your D&D games. Thanks to your playtest feedback on the class’s previous two versions, the class now goes to level 20, has six subclasses, and can choose from many new psionic disciplines and talents. Explore the material here—there’s a lot of it—and let us know what you think in the survey we release in the next installment of Unearthed Arcana." Click the image below for the full 28-page PDF!

Screen Shot 2017-03-13 at 23.05.19.png
SaveSave
SaveSave

hastur_nz

First Post
I've been playing a "v2" Mystic for a while now; one problem is they don't give us enough time to really play-test it in real life.

At first glance, this looks great, but there are a couple of glaring problems that have not been fixed:

1) multi-classing is pure speculation - personally, my PC is multi-classed (with Mystic Theurge; I was originally considering multi-class with Wizard), and with my DM we agreed I could use Spell Points for a combined pool of Psi and Spells. It's not necessarily over-powered, but I'd guess it wont feel right for everyone.

2) the ability to change your Psionic Focus whenever you want is just way too much, and in v3 it looks even worse as the options are more numerous - for a bonus action, which not all PC's will have much need of, you can cherry-pick from all sort of cool stuff that no other class can get, let alone 'at will'. My own PC took Mind Vault and could abuse it to basically be proficient in whatever skill or tool the group needs, all the time, which is silly as it invalidates the point of being in a group where you need a variety of characters to form a rounded whole, not just one PC who can do anything and everything. In version 3, "Nomadic Mind" is an amended version of this power, and it's still got the same problem. At a minimum, you should only be able to change your psionic focus during a short rest - you can still be flexible, but need to plan ahead.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
I think I'll replace the monk with the mystic in my upcoming games. I fits better the theme of ''power from the inside'' since its doest require to also become a kung-fu master.

Also: yeahhhh, I've got my Ardent!

Remove ads

Remove ads