D&D 4E Get WotC 4e's Online Character Builder to work or get a sub

MwaO

Adventurer
People playing 4e now Discord Channel
Here is a link to people playing 4e now and talking about it. Lots of people. Lots of resources for finding games, building PCs, running games, etc...

This is a good way to get help to do 4e in a wide variety of ways.

Valid below until December 31st:
This is a post about how to get WotC Online Character Builder to work given Silverlight issues.

I use Sea Monkey if pre-Catalina on a Mac. The SeaMonkey® Project — very stable, can type at speed on search, which Firefox 52 seems to have issues with handling. Right now, the latest update seems to have broken Silverlight. Here's the older version that will still work:

Safari only works in older versions of MacOS, but works well for me when I go into Safari preferences, click on the Security tab, click on plug-in settings, and turn on Silverlight for WotC sites. And sometimes, it turns itself off on updates, so I have to go back in and turn it on again - I'll know that happened when the site says, "Download Silverlight"

Firefox 52 build is a viable alternate. It seems as if it might be depreciated too, so try to not upgrade your system. This means you need to turn off automatic updates on Firefox 52 or it will upgrade to the one that breaks it.
Here's the link - click on Firefox 52 and download
Directory Listing: /pub/firefox/releases/52.9.0esr/

Experimenting with a virtual machine option — Oracle's VirtualBox is free and you can download Windows OS for free(yes, it will look ugly with windows labeling), and then you can run Internet Explorer. Problem: you need to do some relatively complicated sets of things to make it work. Pluses: it works on Catalina and as long as you keep it working, it should work for years.

So with Catalina, IETab extension for Chrome works and you can then log into it. Sounds great, right? Except it quickly turns into a 'pay a price for it' that's roughly the cost of a regular virtual windows.

Available here:

Disclaimer: it seems to be safe from what I read, but it is giving the software access to Chrome, which is potentially problematic from a security standpoint. Do at your own risk if Chrome's your usual browser.

Note that Character Builder sometimes 'breaks' and then starts working on its own after a day or so. Here is the quick link to request support:
Submit a request – D&D

Anyway, post about your workarounds - this way any time someone is having issues with Online CB, I can just post the link to this thread rather than needing to explain it out.

Renew/get new subscription here

Important if you're on a Mac — new version of MacOS won't run 32-bit apps, namely Silverlight, at all. Here are the apparent options:
It appears to be stick with Mojave in some way:
Don't upgrade to Catalina
Use a Virtual Machine to run Mojave in Catalina. This is about the cost of a year's subscription, so not sure how great it is.

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I am still using the Offline Character Builder... so no idea. Probably not much help if you are a Mac Platform user though I know some have used various wrapper tools to run the offline version with some success.

darkbard

Legend
Mozilla's Firefox runs Silverlight plugins with no problem. Though I prefer Chrome for my typical 'net viewing, I switch to Firefox anytime I wish to use the builder.

Mozilla's Firefox runs Silverlight plugins with no problem. Though I prefer Chrome for my typical 'net viewing, I switch to Firefox anytime I wish to use the builder.

I used to switch to Firefox for the character builder as well, but the Silverlight plugin has recently failed me. Opening the CB tells me I need to install the plugin, but the installer tells me the plugin is already installed. I now use Internet Explorer, which is less than ideal. Any idea how to get it to work on Firefox again?

darkbard

Legend
It's madness. It was working for me in Firefox this morning, then Firefox updated this evening authomatically and it stopped working. I've run into the same problems as you, with uninstalling/reintstalling to no effect; it's still not working. I'll let you know if I figure it out.

UPDATE: Still can't get it working. What's more, I can't get it working in MS Edge either. Are you running an old version of IE, [MENTION=6777248]Undertaker Sheep[/MENTION]? Which one?

Last edited:

Tony Vargas

Legend
I've moved on to Windows 10, it has ie as an accessory, only thing that silverlight seems to play with. Edge, Firefox and chrome won't give it the time of day.

hencook

First Post
How are you guys using the online character builder at all?... I thought you had to be a paying subscriber, and WotC stopped accepting new customers ages ago?... Oh golly, PM me the deets.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
How are you guys using the online character builder at all?... I thought you had to be a paying subscriber, and WotC stopped accepting new customers ages ago?... Oh golly, PM me the deets.

i think they are on going subscribers to DDI with accounts and passwords still...

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases