What are your favorite games?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Hm. The board games I play most frequently these days...

Sentinels of the Multiverse
Betrayal at the House on the Hill
Betrayal Legacy (the Legacy game version of the above)
Gloomhaven

Zardnaar

Legend
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
Stellaris
Europa Universalis IV
Crusader Kings II
Mass Effect 1,2,3
Grand Theft Auto 5
Star Wars Empire at War
Fallout 4
Tomb Raider series

Hm. The board games I play most frequently these days...

Sentinels of the Multiverse
Betrayal at the House on the Hill
Betrayal Legacy (the Legacy game version of the above)
Gloomhaven

Quick question, if you already own the original Betrayal at House on the Hill (as I do), how much added value is there in buying the legacy version?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Quick question, if you already own the original Betrayal at House on the Hill (as I do), how much added value is there in buying the legacy version?

A lot of added value.

Betrayal Legacy takes the basic mechanics of Betrayal at the House on the Hill, but gives you new/different content - new cards, room tiles, *all* new haunts, etc, and puts that new content into a campaign mode. The campaign mode modifies the game as you go - some elements are added as play progresses, others changed, and still other elements are destroyed. You literally change the rulebook as you go. Playing a campaign of Betrayal Legacy is not the same experience as playing a series of 13 games of the original.

(My group finished game 12 of the campaign on Monday night, actually - only one more to go!)

At the end, you have your own, unique, Betrayal set, that will not be the same as the standard, nor the same as pretty much anyone else who played the Legacy game.

I owned the original, and I have *zero* regrets with buying the legacy version. And I expect we will go back and play the original after we are done with the Legacy version, too, because there are so many differences.

Can you tell I *really* like this game? :)

Last edited:

dialNforNinja

First Post
BESM/TriStat in general
Champions 4th or 6th ed
Mekton Zeta
FASAtrek
WOIN NEW with FASAtrek ships
WEG D6 Star Wars/OpenD6
EABA, because "roll a dice pool, keep the best three or sometimes four" is just inspired
GURPS has some great sourcebooks but I've never made a character for it let alone played

The concepts of TOON and Tales of the Floating Vagabond had some appeal, but I couldn't get into the mechanics, and TotFV wasn't in my car when I had a house fire like most of the above were, and I haven't gotten replacements.

I've tried making a few homebrew game systems, but the only one that even comes close to complete was a lightweight thing with d8 dice pools , because counting four pips per die made for more intuitive halves and quarters mental math than three pips per die as in WEGd6 and all other d6 pool games that bother with partial dice at all. I also managed to fit exactly eight skills under each of the stats (Strength, Guts, Brains, and Footwork) and have suitably wide coverage for all the cases I could think of, though that includes things like "Expert Knowledge (specify field)" and similar placeholders for manufacturing and service professions.

Oh, you meant video games?

Uh. I was a fiend for Carmageddon and Carmageddon II back in the late 90s... I bought a PS3 to play Macross 30, LEGO Star Wars, and the Disgaea games a couple years ago... and I recently got Disgaea 5 Complete for PC. That's a lot of games to play, right? I haven't even finished all the postgame on any of the Disgaea games! Even if you don't count fighting Maximum Ultimate Carnage Extra Cheese Baal!

Oh, and I had Tron 2.0 and Transformers: War for Cybertron on PC in the middle there somewhere too, but I sucked at them, um, a lot.

And Morrowind, but in three tries at playing that I've gotten half an hour into the story, 3Gb into downloading mods, and around three months into muckin' about with the editor, so I don't think that really counts as playing the game. I did get really really good at getting through the new game character generation scenes so I could open the Loot4U box right outside the door out to the starter town and play with whatever I put in it this time, though! :p

Zardnaar

Legend
Mass Effect 1,2,3
Knights of the Old Republic
Star Wars Empire at War
Fallout 4
Hearts of Iron II
Europa Universalis III and IV
Crusader Kings II
Stellaris

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper