D&D 5E No Monsters Immune to Stun?

CapnZapp

Legend
I guess I was unclear.

What I wonder is:

Is there any dev discussion or other (semi-) official take on immunity to the Stunned condition?

Is there any note, explanation or other comment to adress the perceived increase in this particular immunity from MM critters to Morden monsters?

Anything from "we realized we kind of forgot" to "the rarity of Stunned rarity is deliberate and intentional, and no, we won't reveal our criteria for which monsters get it" would be interesting.

Blogs, YouTube interviews, Facebook comments, tweets... anything from anyone even close to resembling an official capacity.

Thank you in advance.

thethain

First Post
For official dev take: https://www.sageadvice.eu/2016/01/15/monster-against-monks-stun/

It's not much but:

Q: so is it on purpose that hardly any if not all monsters are vulnerable to stun. Monks can keep stunning?

A: Absolutely on purpose. It's good to be the monk!

Says it was very intentional. Probably because stunning is a rather key aspect of the monk class, similarly to how immunity to radiant damage is very rare as it negates smiting (a key aspect of the paladin class).

CapnZapp

Legend
Thank you.

Still, I note how Stunned immunity is comparatively more common in Mordenkainen, and I remain interested to learn if this change is deliberate, intentional or both.

kylendan

Villager
To rain in the stunning terror of the Monk, I have house rule that gelatinous cube is immune to stun. Jello's natural state is to jiggle.

jgsugden

Legend
Thank you.

Still, I note how Stunned immunity is comparatively more common in Mordenkainen, and I remain interested to learn if this change is deliberate, intentional or both.
According to DDB, the Elder Elements, Steel Predators, Astral Dreadnaughts, Jubilex and the Molydeus are the only ones immune to stun from Mordry's. That is not a huge shift. They're all CR 15 or above, and they're almost all intended to be a 'once in a campaign' type monster.

JasonZZ

Explorer
Supporter
I think they're worried about having another situation like in 3E, where entire categories of monster were effectively immune to most of a character class's abilities. Remember, immunity to crits also made a monster immune to sneak attack damage and a ranger's favored foe bonus as well.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases