D&D 5E Let's Talk About Yawning Portal

Got my copy, Yeayy!

First look, is just me or there is a real chance to 4 lvl 15 players kill a demilich (even with trap the soul) before first turn end? 80hp even with 20AC and all resistances doesn't look a match for 3 level 15 players attacking.

Cue the "just grind through 6-8 encounters with demi-demiliches earlier" crowd. I just add 50hp per level of the party to make fights remotely challenging.

Got my copy, Yeayy!

First look, is just me or there is a real chance to 4 lvl 15 players kill a demilich (even with trap the soul) before first turn end? 80hp even with 20AC and all resistances doesn't look a match for 3 level 15 players attacking.

Would not surprise me. I've got a level 15 Fighter, and he can easily deal 75 damage in one round by himself, or double that with Action Surge. Then again, most of the demon lords from Out of the Abyss were not particularly terrifying by the time we were level 15, either. Even dragons don't really impress me.

"High CR creatures seem very weak," has been on of the most common criticisms I've heard about 5e.

zaratan

First Post
Uh no the Paladin's smite is a magical effect it does not work in antimagic.

Where did you get that? There is no word saying it is magical, none counter magic mesure work agaist divine smite (I'm not talking about smite spells), same thing with any monk ki feature that doesn't have the word "magic", "magical" or "spell". The antimagic field don't affect the demilitch actions too, they aren't "magical".

Also he can use trap the soul each round. And it's a 19 charisma save which is pretty high and most people won't be proficient in it.

While he only has 80 hp is immune to non magical weapons and resistant to magical ones. Added on he near certain to get a surprise round on the party. And kill one of them.[/QUOTE]

yeah, will be 90% of chance to trap the soul of the worst saver in the party. Now your antimagic field was gone, there isn't any other good lair action and he'll take a nova from at least 3 level 13 players, hard to get another action with that. you know how much damage a character at that level can do, right? Yeah, IF he get all party (4 players) surprise, than this start to look a threatening encounter. Basicly the perfect conditions.

Cue the "just grind through 6-8 encounters with demi-demiliches earlier" crowd. I just add 50hp per level of the party to make fights remotely challenging.

We need at least to remove the "party can rest freely" to do that.

Last edited:

JonnyP71

Explorer
Do you veterans know other olds adventures like that? I got a reference for Crypt of Lyzandred the Mad in another topic, that looks easily to adapt even I'm don't knowing 2e rules. The Well of Demons in Thunderspire Labirinth was a nice dungeon too, from 4e.

Probably the closest 1E module in terms of it being a mad funhouse was Ghost Tower of Inverness.

For general insanity, both Dungeonland and its sister module Land Beyond the Magic Mirror are also very weird - they're not without their problems, but they both manage to include a lot of bizarre encounters.

This has inspired me to perhaps justify special rules (no HD on short rests, reduced healing on long rests) by invoking some sort of "Acererak's Curse" that affects the dungeon. Basically, it's a Regional Effect. You can get a lot mileage out of those regional effects as an excuse to temporarily shake things up in a believable manner in an ongoing campaign.

Where did you get that? There is no word saying it is magical, none counter magic mesure work agaist divine smite (I'm not talking about smite spells), same thing with any monk ki feature that doesn't have the word "magic", "magical" or "spell". The antimagic field don't affect the demilitch actions too, they aren't "magical".

You... don't think that a Paladin drawing on divine power and smiting his enemies by burning a spell slot is magical? That's the most intensely precise definition of 'magical' that I've ever seen.

zaratan

First Post
You... don't think that a Paladin drawing on divine power and smiting his enemies by burning a spell slot is magical? That's the most intensely precise definition of 'magical' that I've ever seen.

yeah, not me or one of game developers: http://www.sageadvice.eu/2016/03/11...ted-by-antimagic-field-or-counterspell-magic/

and here is JC saying about to be "explicitly magical" http://www.sageadvice.eu/2014/11/06/ki-vs-antimagic/

But you can be in the table of DM could decide that they're all magical.

maybe DM decide that All demilitch abilities are magical too, so when he activate antimagic field, he'll stop to fly and you can kick it as ball, in fact, this make more magical sense to me than divine smite. By RAW, Divine Smite doesn't fit in any supression description of antimagic field. But this is always a DM choice.

Good option in deed. But antimagic field can be countered. It work for one round, he can't use it two rounds in a roll and there is 50% of he don't get lair action. And effects like divine smite still damage him in antimagic field.

It happens on initiative count 20. It renders him totally immune to all spellcasting and magical abilities. In addition it renders magical weapons non-magical.... which the Lich is immune to.

It is debatable whether or not divine smite is magical in nature. Seeing as it requires the expenditure of a spell slot to function, I would rule it is that it is magical and does not function in an anti-magic field. I'm also assuming the Lich is hovering from between 15 and 20 feet in the air, out of range of anyone trying to grab him or similar shenanigans.

From there the Lich is almost certainly immune to anything the party can throw at him, has his turn, and 3 legendary actions.

Howl, life drain, flight, and Energy drain can all be used in an anti-magic field. I would have it howl on its turn, then use energy drain and fly up to the roof out of reach of any melee combatants.

On turn two I would use the lair action knocking everyone prone, followed by the trap soul ability, followed by the cloud of dust and energy drain legendary actions.

I would then on turn three re-established the anti-magic field as my lair action, and use my life drain ability to heal any hit points I lost in the previous turn.

The right solution is for WotC to dare present monsters and traps that deal damage and have effects that actually challenge level-appropriate characters.

The lack of actual challenge is endemic to 5th edition (once off the first few levels where the threat is real and the game works as you want it to)

Just to pick one bugbear: the One and Single Important Die Roll.

And the multitude of rerolls and bonus dice PCs routinely get.

Whether it's about wooing the princess, opening a magical prison or finding the hidden lever that opens the Tomb, the normal procedure is for the DM to ask the chosen character to make a roll.

Except that Bardic Inspiration, Dark One's Own Luck, Lucky, or any other such ability makes this single roll utterly trivial. (Beyond trivial if the Help rules are anything to go by, since you gain advantage on practically everything you do)

Adding a d10 to some roll is balanced on the assumption it's only one roll out of many. You made that save, great, here's another spell cast at'ya. You made that attack, good enough, but you make four a round, so no big deal.

But the excitement and uncertaintly of any social, exploratory or simply story roll is reduces to rubble. Or ashes. No, vaporized into atoms... :(

It's time WotC is made to answer for their savagely carebearian focus.

Must you really continue to pollute every thread with this same complaint over and over?

It really really annoying to read all the time.

You've done it in dozens of threads and even created threads of your own about it. You refuse to listen to any solutions or suggestions for how to address this problem, and just whine and stink up threads with the same complaint over and over and over again.

Please stop. We get we get it. You can't balance encounters in fifth edition D&D. Good for you.

Remove ads