D&D 5E Anyone else think the Bard concept is just silly?

Henry

Autoexreginated
I am not trolling man. LOL
I really want to know what people think about this. I mean we barely have anyone play a bard in our group because the concept is just so silly. I wanna know who else feels that way or if my group is the weird one

The bard is not just the silly Lute Player singing, "Kill, Kill, Kill the Orcs!" like Elan from Order of the Stick. :)

No, he's the comrade in arms who knows just the right dark joke to crack when the party has been disparaged by adverse odds and feels crestfallen.

He's the badass fellow explorer who yells, "C'MON, YOU COWARDS! DO YOU WANNA LIVE FOREVER?!?!" As he charges alongside you into the breach.

He's the party member whose magic through very Speech Itself can ease tired muscles or recharge your flagging stamina. The Bard can be thought of not just a charismatic compatriot, who is great to have around, but as a person who is a practicioner of truename speech and can rearrange the world just through naming it in the Primordial tongue. He is no less magical than a wizard, and using an art arguably older than wizardry.

That's a bard.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Even if the bard concept might be a little silly, the bard class is simply too good not to use. That's why my next character is going to be a customized bard, built to mimic a stereotypical elf. A bard's specialties of illusions, enchantments, nature magic, and healing scream "elven" to me.

He's the party member whose magic through very Speech Itself can ease tired muscles or recharge your flagging stamina. The Bard can be thought of not just a charismatic compatriot, who is great to have around, but as a person who is a practicioner of truename speech and can rearrange the world just through naming it in the Primordial tongue. He is no less magical than a wizard, and using an art arguably older than wizardry.
Magic in D&D is still pseudo-Vancian. This isn't 4E, where you can just re-fluff spells however you want and it doesn't matter because nothing means anything. When a bard cast Cure Wounds, they are doing so by following the rules of magic, which has a scientifically predictable effect depending on the spell slot they spend.

Regardless of what you try to re-fluff the bard into, it is and always will be the mechanical representation of Elan.

happyhermit

Adventurer
Who in there right mind would bring singing, drums, horns, trumpets or anything musical into a battle? Sure it happened all over the world in history but everyone was silly back then. Now stand back so my wizard can wave their wand and say the magic words...

:)

Geeknamese

Explorer
The koto players from Kung Fu Hustle. The Doof Warrior in Mad Max. There's also music magic mythology tied to instruments throughout many cultures in the world today. Bards aren't weird at all.

Sent from my iPhone using EN World mobile app

pukunui

Legend
The bard has always been my favorite D&D class concept, and I reckon the 5e version is the best one yet.

Also, the bard isn't just singing or dancing or whatever. He's weaving magic into his performances, and it's the magic that is inspiring/healing/whatevering you.

Last edited:

Magic in D&D is still pseudo-Vancian. This isn't 4E, where you can just re-fluff spells however you want and it doesn't matter because nothing means anything. When a bard cast Cure Wounds, they are doing so by following the rules of magic, which has a scientifically predictable effect depending on the spell slot they spend.

Regardless of what you try to re-fluff the bard into, it is and always will be the mechanical representation of Elan.
Uh... there's nothing in the rules of magic that says it doesn't work the way [MENTION=158]Henry[/MENTION] described. The verbal component in cure wounds is not specified to be an Elanesque silly ditty.

Patrick McGill

First Post
Bards (in 5e at least) are just another type of mage. I see their magic is more rooted in folk and hearth traditions then typical wizardy magic which is more high brow and theoretical. They use instruments as foci for spells, like wizards use staves or warlocks use chains or whatever, but I don't imagine them strumming along merrily during battle.

I quite like this iteration of Bards, actually. It cleaves closer to the mythical Taliesin style bard of a oral lore-keeper and poet with control over glamours and in touch with arcane secrets. You could be a bard in 5e without ever touching an instrument. You could be a great orator or poet, or a singer. What is more primordially powerful musically then the original instrument, the human voice?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases