D&D 5E Mike Mearls on Settings

Shasarak

Banned
Banned
I also believe that Spelljammer should have its own setting rather than be a connection to various settings. I'd have Spelljammer be about spacefaring swashbuckling adventures.

Oh gawd no. That would be like having Pirate rules totally separate from every other setting- sure you could do it but what would be the point? And what would be next, Planescape without any connection to the Primes I suppose?

Mercule

Adventurer
  • Changing the encounter XP budget rules - probably shifting everything 1 to the left so that difficult becomes normal and deadly becomes difficult.
  • a handful of new backgrounds
  • a couple of sub-classes

I'm sure there's a couple of other things, but, that should catch a lot of the mechanical side of things.
Yeah. Those might be okay. I'm starting to warm to them as something that might support Greyhawk the same way action points sort Eberron. It's still not all that's needed, any more than the UA Eberron was all that's needed for that setting.

While we're spitballing rules, you could also halve XP award for killing things and reinstate XP for treasure.

FWIW, I think the advancement in 5E is ridiculously fast. That's probably a good indicator that XP needs some sort of tweak for "old school" feel.

Dragonhelm

Knight of Solamnia
Oh gawd no. That would be like having Pirate rules totally separate from every other setting- sure you could do it but what would be the point? And what would be next, Planescape without any connection to the Primes I suppose?

I think I misspoke.

Back in 3rd edition, I wrote an article called Creating Spelljammer For 3rd Edition. I proposed the idea that Spelljammer should be its own setting, as well as be a connection to other settings.

In the Shadows of the Spider Moon mini-game out in Dungeon #92/Polyhedron #151, written by Andy Collins, he took more of a swashbuckling approach. What I'm suggesting is keeping that approach as a main focus for Spelljammer. I do not mean that other settings can't have swashbuckling adventures. In fact, Mystara has elements that are ripe for swashbuckling adventures.

The Scythian

Explorer
That seems less about "steampunk" and more about how magic essentially replicates early 20th century and 19th century technological developments.

The problem is that magic isn't replicating 19th and early 20th century technology in the Eberron setting. It's creating armies of mechanical men, rivety giant robots, and flying ships that look and feel like seagoing vessels. Combine that with the specific 19th century technologies that magic replicates as part of the setting (telegraphy, locomotives, and continual flame gaslights), and the setting starts to feel like a fantastical 19th century, which is why a lot of people read the setting as steampunk.

If you don't see it, that's fine. We can agree to disagree.

In the introduction of the Eberron Campaign Setting, it provides ten points about the setting for newcomers. One of which is that it's a world of intrigue, sabotage, spies and espionage, corruption, crime boss, competing trade families, archaeological-focused universities, etc.

Those elements aren't necessarily associated with noir. I mean, putting aside "archaeological-focused universities" and "competing trade families," which aren't associated with noir at all, the elements you've listed are just elements of spy fiction and crime fiction. James Bond films contain many of those elements, but nobody would confuse them with noir. Meanwhile, Sunset Boulevard contains none of those elements, but nobody would mistake it for anything else.

Noir is notoriously difficult to define, and I am not going to attempt that here, but it's less about subject matter, and more a matter of tone, themes, and (of course) visual style. While it's possible that other materials hit closer to the mark, the Eberron materials I've seen don't even seem to make an attempt at noir.

MackMcMacky

First Post
I think I misspoke.

Back in 3rd edition, I wrote an article called Creating Spelljammer For 3rd Edition. I proposed the idea that Spelljammer should be its own setting, as well as be a connection to other settings.

In the Shadows of the Spider Moon mini-game out in Dungeon #92/Polyhedron #151, written by Andy Collins, he took more of a swashbuckling approach. What I'm suggesting is keeping that approach as a main focus for Spelljammer. I do not mean that other settings can't have swashbuckling adventures. In fact, Mystara has elements that are ripe for swashbuckling adventures.
I agree that SpellJammer needs its own "universe". I see it as a space fantasy/space opera setting without the science. It needs a world (worlds system) where it is the primary focus. It can only be window dressing to other settings.

Shasarak

Banned
Banned
I think I misspoke.

My main problem with this approach is that it is intrinsically antithetical to the 5e focus on the history of DnD. Creating a new world would not have nearly the same attraction then Forgotten Realms or Ravenloft or heck even settings like Greyhawk.

My suggestion would be instead of creating a new "Spelljamming only" sphere to just base an adventure around the Rock of Braal that could be placed in any sphere.

Remove ads