D&D 5E What is your favorite adventure in Tales from the Yawning Portal (besides Tomb of Horrors)?

What is your favorite adventure in Tales from the Yawning Portal (besides Tomb of Horrors)?

• The Sunless Citadel

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • The Forge of Fury

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • The Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan

Votes: 9 29.0%
  • The Doomvault

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • White Plume Mountain

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • Against the Giants

Votes: 4 12.9%

Prakriti

Hi, I'm a Mindflayer, but don't let that worry you
...besides Tomb of Horrors, because that thing has been the focus of WAY too much discussion already. :)

Personally, I'm most excited to run Sunless Citadel and Forge of Fury, even though I was never a big fan of 3rd Edition. I just like the even mix of roleplay, exploration, and combat.

Henry

Autoexreginated
I like Forge of afury for several reasons:

1) it has a great mix of enemies, from Orcs to Duergar to animated objects to even a Dragon!
2) the Roper encounter is kind of a disservice in 5e, because in 3e it was a great object lesson in thinking about how to solve your encounters
3) it was a good classic dungeon with a range of encounter settings
4) its dragon encounter is heads and shoulders over the one in Sunless Citadel, and you don't feel like you're kicking a rabid mastiff instead of fighting an intelligent foe

So, lots of little personal reasons - with the exception of the Roper, it feels like it translated well to 5e.

Prakriti

Hi, I'm a Mindflayer, but don't let that worry you
Huh. The Doomvault has jumped far ahead of the other choices.

Can we hear from some of the Doomvault voters? What do you like about it? Or is it just the fact that it's nice having something new vs. something old and warmed over?

Huh. The Doomvault has jumped far ahead of the other choices.

Can we hear from some of the Doomvault voters? What do you like about it? Or is it just the fact that it's nice having something new vs. something old and warmed over?

I didn't vote; I've only read Sunless Citadel so far. However, my suspicion is that the Doomvault is the most impressive one - the biggest, the one with the most art - and so that helps. In addition, it is comprised of multiple areas, which seem easy to steal for one or two session mini-dungeons in their own right - for example, look at the Forests of Slaughter, pages 138-141. Ignore some of the connections, and you could probably drop that area wholesale into a campaign, as a Efreeti's menagerie, or whatever. So I suspect that this also attracts some enthusiasm.

guachi

Hero
I wouldn't have chosen Tomb of Horrors even if it were a choice.

My choice is Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan. Back in the early '80s my friend's parents had the module. They got him into D&D and he got me into D&D. I would see the module in their house and the fantastic title and cover were just so evocative!

Remove ads