Fly spell and anitmagic field(help me beat a friggin dead horse yet again!!!!)

durath

First Post
We all know what the SRD says about a fly spell being dispelled, but just in case we don't here is the text.

A fly spell is "dispelled when dispelled"........when a fly spells duration runs out, the user falls gently to the ground.

Now onto the dead horse:

At our most recent gaming session the party wizard had a fly spell on and just happened to fly into an antimagic field about 200 feet in the air.

The DM ruled that the wizard would drop like a rock. I reminded him of the SRD ruling but he said the SRD didn't apply to this because the example in the SRD uses dispel magic NOT an antimagic field.

I asked what the difference was. His reply was that dispel magic ends the fly spell which causes the user to float gently to the ground BUT antimagic field only SUPPRESSES the spell effect rather than end it so the wizard plummets.

WTF is that???? I couldn't friggin believe my ears because this is the DM who regularly chastises his players for being to "rules lawyerish" yet he pulls this crap out on us?

Anyway, what do you guys think? He's going to claim he was right because I can't find an "official" example that says Antimagic field would affect a fly spell like a dispel magic would but I would like to hear what you guys think.

Is there a difference between suppressing a fly spell and dispelling it in regards to whether or not the user drops like a rock or floats down slowly?

Sheesh!!!

Last edited:

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
I'd agree with your DM - you'd plummet... for a whole 20 feet until you came out the other side of the field, at which point you'd start flying again, 180 feet above the ground...

-Hyp.

reapersaurus

First Post
I thought that was the situation for a second also, Hyp -
but I'm welling to bet that this DM plopped an AMF across the ENTIRE vertical plane, and the Wizard happened to encounter it 200 feet up, so he was basically flying into an Anti-Magic Zone...

I think that might have coated his thoughts, since this Area of Space is completely devoid of magic, even the vestigial traces of magic which allow a Dispelled Flyer to float to the ground safely would not be present.

Given that thought, and the fact that it's pretty silly that a Dispel on a Fly happens to work the way it does in 3E, I don't see a problem with your DM's House Rule.

Flying wizards are cheap, anyway.
What is he doing flying all alone, anyway? ;)

Don't give us an out-of-context rules opinion, give us the whole scenario if you want accurate opinions.

durath

First Post
It was not a standard antimagic field it extends all the way to the ground so the DM was gonna have him plummet 200 feet.

So hype- you're saying there is a difference between dispelling an ffect and ending it? Could you please explain what that would be?

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
So hype- you're saying there is a difference between dispelling an ffect and ending it?

No - I'm saying there's a difference between dispelling/ending an effect and suppressing it.

Dispel Magic causes an effect to end as if its duration has expired. In the case of Fly, that means floating downwards at 60 feet per round for 1d6 rounds.

An AMF doesn't end the effect as if its duration has expired. It simply stops working while its in the field. The gently-float effect of Fly doesn't kick in until its duration expires, and the duration hasn't expired.

Of course, there's a good reason AMFs are limited to 10' radius normally :)

-Hyp.

Bauglir

First Post
Dispelling an effect causes it to end, incurring any effects which happen on the spell ending, such as floating to the ground when fly ends.

An anti-magic field doesn't end the spell, just supresses the effects. The spell is technically still running, it just stops having any effect, so you would indeed plummet.

durath

First Post
Wow, guess I was wrong on this one. I still completely disagree with all of you and here's why:

An antimagic field may only be supressing an effect but for all intents and purposes the effect is ended. Can you still fly? No. Therefore the float gently down part of the spell would kick in.

One day I will DM so I can ALWAYS be right-that is what causes someone to DM correct? They get tired of ever being wrong?:p

Anyway, I'm off to admit defeat to my DM and take the abuse and taunting which will ensue.

Shard O'Glase

First Post
What kraedin said.

The real quesiton is was this actually part of the adventure and bad luck for the party wizard, or was the DM just offing the wizard because he got his panties in a bunch.

Remove ads