More blowing my own trumpet…

The Grumpy Celt

Banned
Banned
More blowing my own trumpet…

I wrote the article “Name Magic” in the Players Journal #2. I actually wrote it over a year ago and have been sitting on it – so to speak – for some time now. The article is entirely open game content.

The epic spell mechanics is not open game material so I could not directly reference it. However, I did make a vague reference to spells above ninth level being possible for name magic – for discovering and using the true names of nations, mountains, etc. – which is as close as I could get.

Metaphorically speaking, what I was going for is if casing a “fireball” is like opening and using M.S. Word and casting a “limited wish” is like opening and using “Photoshop,” then name magic is going into and rewriting parts of the base code.

As such, there are a great many possibilities.

I am working on the mechanics for using true name magic to alter a thunderstorm so that all the water (e.g. the rain) turns in to fire. I will let you know how that works out.

R-

Zogg

First Post
I don't really know how to respond to this. I didn't read your article, and your post doesn't exactly request any response.

I don't mean to be negative but are you just fishing for praise?

Sinistar

I thought the bone runes were well thought out. I like a lot of the concepts that you put into them.

While I know it was not out when you were working on it, a lot of the concepts work really well with the Book of Vile Darkness. Have you given thought to supplementing the ideas here with those. Maybe convert the damage done by a bone rune to vile damage or some such?

MarauderX

Explorer
Re: More blowing my own trumpet…

The Grumpy Celt said:
Metaphorically speaking, what I was going for is if casing a “fireball” is like opening and using M.S. Word and casting a “limited wish” is like opening and using “Photoshop,” then name magic is going into and rewriting parts of the base code.
R-

I don't really like the analogy, but I see what you are saying and agree. Have more fun with it, and everyone here will probably know exactly what spells you have been been refering to.

The Grumpy Celt

Banned
Banned
Sinistar said:
...work really well with the Book of Vile Darkness.... Maybe convert the damage done by a bone rune to vile damage or some such?

Thank you.

I have thought about it and I do have a copy of the Book of Vile Ickiness (As Phiffany calls it). However, none of that is open sources material. At least not yet. So any such conversions would be unofficial and off the books.

Currently, I am estimating the DC for an epic spell where true name magic was used to change a thunderstrom (so it was fire rather than water) would be around 150. I am also estimating a similar change for a hurrican to be around 300.

Remove ads