5E What If the players lost every adventure path so far in the realms?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 41
  1. #1
    Member
    Spellbinder (Lvl 16)



    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    630

    What If the players lost every adventure path so far in the realms?

    What if your group all died by Tiamat's hands? Then they all died fighting Evil Elemental cultists? The next group after that went vampire hunting in Ravenloft and meet their bloody deaths.

    One group of adventurers even went mad far far below in the Underdark and attacked a Demon Lord and had their souls devoured.

    The next band of adventurers lead a force against the Giants before being defeated and eaten.

    Now I'm not asking for the consequences on a Dungeon Masters game table and maybe the need to relook at how he does things lol.

    What I'm wondering about is how each of those failures to stop the evil forces being unleashed would effect the game world!

    This might make a fun and interesting game setting!
    Laugh Redthistle, MNblockhead laughed with this post

  2. #2
    Sunseeker
    Guest
    Well, I think we'd basically end up with a completely evil-shifted world where multiple factions of evil control various parts of the world and the "adventurers" would be working for them, or perhaps some kind of "rebel scu...alliance".
    Laugh Sadras laughed with this post

  3. #3
    Member
    Grandmaster of Flowers (Lvl 18)



    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Augusta, GA
    Posts
    1,621
    Elminster and Drizzt would come and clean up the PCs failures.
    XP Herobizkit, MostlyDm gave XP for this post
    Laugh GlassJaw, AntiStateQuixote, Ed Laprade, schnee, S'mon and 11 others laughed with this post

  4. #4
    Member
    Myrmidon (Lvl 10)



    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Minneapolis MN
    Posts
    591
    Quote Originally Posted by GameOgre View Post
    What if your group all died by Tiamat's hands? Then they all died fighting Evil Elemental cultists? The next group after that went vampire hunting in Ravenloft and meet their bloody deaths.

    One group of adventurers even went mad far far below in the Underdark and attacked a Demon Lord and had their souls devoured.

    The next band of adventurers lead a force against the Giants before being defeated and eaten.

    Now I'm not asking for the consequences on a Dungeon Masters game table and maybe the need to relook at how he does things lol.

    What I'm wondering about is how each of those failures to stop the evil forces being unleashed would effect the game world!

    This might make a fun and interesting game setting!
    Under this scenario, see Athas for an idea of Toril's future.
    Laugh Shiroiken, FormerlyHemlock laughed with this post

  5. #5
    Member
    Hydra (Lvl 25)



    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    4,830
    Quote Originally Posted by GameOgre View Post
    This might make a fun and interesting game setting!
    It might be exceptionally interesting as an alternative univese type campaign for a group that's played through the adventures successfully.

    A "what if you had failed" premise
    XP Redthistle gave XP for this post

  6. #6
    Member
    Spellbinder (Lvl 16)



    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    1,760
    Quote Originally Posted by shidaku View Post
    Well, I think we'd basically end up with a completely evil-shifted world where multiple factions of evil control various parts of the world and the "adventurers" would be working for them, or perhaps some kind of "rebel scu...alliance".
    This is a really interesting concept. A war-torn, nearly destroyed Toril where almost all hope has been lost and a small group of adventurers struggling to unite the resistance against the evil factions or just trying to survive. Heroes are always on the run, always in danger of being discovered by the sinister agents of one faction or another. I may have to do this for my next big home-brew campaign. First order of business would be figuring out what factions control what areas of the world, coming up with a set of unique backgrounds, deciding who, and where and how the resistance operates.
    XP PieAndDragon gave XP for this post

  7. #7
    Member
    Grandmaster of Flowers (Lvl 18)

    Ath-kethin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    1,433
    You could check out the 3.something Midnight campaign setting g for ideas. It's basically a "what if Sauron won?" sort of concept.

  8. #8
    Member
    Waghalter (Lvl 7)



    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Worcester, MA, USA
    Posts
    890
    Quote Originally Posted by guachi View Post
    Elminster and Drizzt would come and clean up the PCs failures.
    Sad, but probably true.
    XP MostlyDm gave XP for this post
    Laugh guachi laughed with this post

  9. #9
    Member
    Grandfather of Assassins (Lvl 19)



    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    1,680
    I like the idea of 4-5 wicked factions vying for control of the known world while the heroes do what they can to survive and help if they can. Feels like fantasy shadowrun.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    XP Wednesday Boy gave XP for this post

  10. #10
    Member
    Magsman (Lvl 14)



    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,533
    Tiamat probably would have dominated the north of the world and new dragon empire would have formed. And eventually the entire would would have fallen under her domain.

    With the Elemental Cults the Desserin valley would have been destroyed before anything really came forth to stop it.

    The Demon Lords would have moved up to the surface and likely started more dangerous plans as more Demons came and destroyed all they could.

    If the Players lost to Strahd nothing would have happened. Strahd would still be trapped and eventually the events would repeat with a new group of adventurers.

    Giants would have caused a lot of devastation. But how things would turn out is quite variable.
    XP Wednesday Boy gave XP for this post

Similar Threads

  1. [Thunderscape] The Lost Lexicon Adventure Path Begins!
    By Shawn Carman in forum *Pathfinder & Starfinder
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Tuesday, 15th April, 2014, 03:32 PM
  2. Grand Tour of the Realms - brainstorm a 5e adventure path
    By RangerWickett in forum *Dungeons & Dragons
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: Monday, 30th January, 2012, 04:50 PM
  3. Adventure Path modules in the Forgotten Realms
    By capgun in forum *General Roleplaying Games Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: Wednesday, 29th January, 2003, 01:42 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •