3.5 release verse 3.0 release

I was not around at the time so I just have to ask.

Was there this much continual whinning and complaining (though I admit not everyone is doing this) about the release of DnD 3.0 as there is with the release of DnD 3.5?

I swear the way some people b*tch you would think WOTC is going to break down there door and burn their 3.0 books and force them to buy new.

Also I love the amount of negative comments (calling WOTC people idots for one) is being generated by some posters who feel they can make sweeping statements based on fragmented information about 3.5

So was it this bad when 3.0 was coming?

hong

WotC's bitch
DocMoriartty said:
I was not around at the time so I just have to ask.

Was there this much continual whinning and complaining (though I admit not everyone is doing this) about the release of DnD 3.0 as there is with the release of DnD 3.5?

Hell, yeah. We're gonna whinge like it's 1999. :cool:

BryonD

Hero
Yes and no.

There was just as much debate over the quality of one item vs another.

But Eric's site was all about the new system. So there was a clear bias towards people who were excited about a new edition. There was a lot less feel that people were lossing anything they liked.

Now we have a group of people who like the existing system with debates about changes to the system they care about.

hong

WotC's bitch
BryonD said:

But Eric's site was all about the new system. So there was a clear bias towards people who were excited about a new edition.

However, the same could not be said about rgfd.

EricNoah

Adventurer
As has been pointed out, I was pretty much only dealing with folks who were pretty gung ho about it (or at least interested in learning more). I didn't hang out on usenet where people might have been a lot more vocally against it.

That said, I do get a sort of odd feeling... that 3.5e will be divisive instead of unifying. 3E, to me (and again I was not necessarily in a good location to get a really good clear picture of all of D&D-dom) seemed to be somewhat unifying. It brought some old school 1E gamers back into the fold. I don't see 3.5 bringing 2e or 1e players who hadn't already migrated to the new system. I do see it, potentially, leaving behind 3.0-happy or -comfortable, at least for a while.

In a few years, many of us who don't switch over immediately will probably switch over at some point down the road. But it certainly doesn't feel like a big emergency to me and feels like something I can do gradually or not at all if I don't want to.

In the meantime -- we need to do a very vigilant job of being tolerant of those who didn't go the way we chose to go. Calling those who don't want to switch "whiners" or calling those who switched immediately "mindless sheep" or whatever is going to get our community nowhere.

Remove ads