Pathfinder 1E Returning to D&D 3.75 er I mean Pathfinder

Starfox

Hero
Mathfinder :lol:

It's definitely math intensive, but there's just so much to love about Pathfinder that the math is worth it.

Currently I'm unwilling to play 5E without bringing in lots of stuff to Pathfinder. And, earlier this week I started thinking, wouldn't it be easier to import what I like from 5E to PF, rather than the other way around? Afterall, there's a lot of math involved in almost every conversion from either system to the other, but there's a lot more Pathfinder than there is 5E. So, currently leaning toward PF as my base.

Starfinder seems to be a streamlined Pathfinder. From day zero, Starfinder was accused of being Pathfinder 2.0 (or d20 3.75 if you prefer). Paizo repeatedly claim its not. But some Starfinder rules can definitely be used in Pathfinder, here are some examples.

* Flat-Footed is a -2 penalty to AC.

* Attacks of opportunity happen *after* what triggers them. No more concentration checks for attacks, no more withdraw action.

I love GMing Pathfinder - as long as I have published material. :) I could not imagine creating my own campaign in the system since creating my own NPCs & monsters would be insanely time consuming. I do enjoy playing it, too. (And HeroLab is a godsend...)
I'm pretty much the exact opposite of this. Even though it takes a ton of system mastery in order to figure out how to make a character as a player, one of the real strengths of the system is that all of the knowledge is directly applicable to creating NPCs. By the time you get to the point where you can make a good PC, it takes virtually zero effort to create a non-optimized NPC with a defined role whenever you need one.

To contrast, the one time I tried reading through an adventure path, I was immediately struck by how many bad feats - the feats that I read once, immediately realized I would never take them, and which I subsequently ignored - were being used on all of the NPCs. Not that there's anything wrong with an NPC taking a sub-optimal feat if it fits their character, but it meant that had to relearn the part of the game that I had specifically ignored the first time around - frequently because it was too complicated to bother with - for a character who might only be around for one encounter.

Jason R

First Post
I've found that a few house rules and some options developed from Unchained make PF a great rule set to "come back to" or to address some of the issues that might keep some in the fold that are wishing for a solution to some annoyances. The revised action economy alone returns PF to the game of choice imho.

That we do, Starfox.

I just ordered some more Pathfinder Pawns, today, and got a few more of the bestiary and setting PDF's, this weekend. Really like the artwork and story elements in the PDFs. The PRD is nice as a reference, but the artwork is inspirational, too.

I've found that a few house rules and some options developed from Unchained make PF a great rule set to "come back to" or to address some of the issues that might keep some in the fold that are wishing for a solution to some annoyances. The revised action economy alone returns PF to the game of choice imho.

I'll have to give Unchained a more in depth look. I've only skimmed the revised action economy and didn't fully grasp all the elements of it well enough to put it into play, yet. Will definitely have to give it another look.

techno

Explorer
I love D&D 5e because it is an absolute dream for a DM to run with little prep. However, after our 5e session tonight (Storm King's Thunder), my wife requested we go back to Pathfinder. I asked her why. She explained:

• I love buying and using powerful and diverse magic items. We have all of this gold in D&D and nothing cool to do with it.
  • My cleric in D&D is weak and does not have a wide variety of cool combat options and spells compared to my cleric in Pathfinder. I don't feel like my character is very powerful or has interesting choices in D&D.
  • I love the tactical aspects of combat and using minis during Pathfinder combat (I have mostly been using ToM with D&D).
This feedback has really made me ask myself if I am willing to go back and GM Pathfinder (even though it is much more difficult to run) because my wife strongly prefers it as a player.

Last edited:

The_Gunslinger658

First Post
For players, Mathfinder is awesome, for DM's it can be an administrative nightmare. Believe me, I DM'ed 3.5 for a couple of years and it really started to bog down in a numbers game as the players went beyond 10th level. One encounter could last maybe 2 to 4 hours, thats alot of time that will not advance the story at large. On the other hamd, if I had nothing prepared for that night, than wasting 2 or 3 hours on one encounter worked out perfectly lol.

Be patient with 5E, sooner or later WoTC will start releasing splat books that will make your players happy and drive us DM's nuts.

Scott

I love D&D 5e because it is an absolute dream for a DM to run with little prep. However, after our 5e session tonight (Storm King's Thunder), my wife requested we go back to Pathfinder. I asked her why. She explained:

• I love buying and using powerful and diverse magic items. We have all of this gold in D&D and nothing cool to do with it.
  • My cleric in D&D is weak and does not have a wide variety of cool combat options and spells compared to my cleric in Pathfinder. I don't feel like my character is very powerful or has interesting choices in D&D.
  • I love the tactical aspects of combat and using minis during Pathfinder combat (I have mostly been using ToM with D&D).
This feedback has really made me ask myself if I am willing to go back and GM Pathfinder (even though it is much more difficult to run) because my wife strongly prefers it as a player.

Remove ads