D&D 5E Long or short rests? What is better?

How would you like the game to be balanced

• I like the way it is.

Votes: 27 44.3%
  • I would like the game to be balanced by a different ratio of short rests by long rest

Votes: 6 9.8%
  • I would like if all classes were built around short rests.

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • I would like if all classes were built around long rests.

Votes: 15 24.6%
  • I do not have strong feelings either way.

Votes: 3 4.9%

DaviMMS

First Post
It is a recurrent discussion on this forum about the way that short vs long rest classes are balanced. The main problem I see on the discussion is that balancing classes this way makes the game unbalanced unless you follow a very specific short vs long rest ratio (1 long for every 2 short in 5e case), and not following these guidelines has leaded to a lot of threads in this forum complaining that short rest classes are underpowered (especially about the Warlock and the Fighter).

So, I would like to ask you guys, how would you prefer the game to be balanced? Around Short rests? Around Long rests? Or you like different classes recharge their resources on different types of rests?

Vote at the thread and leave your opinion bellow. The purpose here is not thinking how would you modify long rest classes to work on short rests or the opposite, it is just about what you think would be the best from a design point of view.

For me, the best way to do it would be balancing it around short rests. It avoids excessive novas and avoid 5 minute work days (I find much better for the party to rest for an hour after a difficult fight to recover resources, than that the party goes to sleep after it).

With less resources available at a single moment, it also becomes more difficult for the party to simply destroy your planed boss because you did not want to put 5 encounters before the boss fight so the players did not get to the boss at full resources.

I also think it is easier to pace a short rest game than a long rest based one.

Want to make a random encounter during a long travel or you have a roleplay heavy game that do not like to waste time with unimportant fights? No problem, the players won’t simply stomp it because they can use their most powerful abilities every round.

Wants to make a mega dungeon? Just leave some rooms that the players can barricade for a while and make a short rest and they will be able to keep going for a good while.

I also dislike different classes recovering their main stuff in different types of rest because it kind of “forces” the DM to plan their days around a specific number of encounters and rests or else some classes will fall behind their expected efficiency, leading to unbalances.

I would not remove long rests entirely from the game. In 5e for example, I would leave hit dices and some minor abilities still tied to long rests, so the players can’t just keep going with just short rests and still needs to sleep at the end of the day.

JonnyP71

Explorer
I'm not a fan of the quick recharging powers mechanic, and prefer long rest only, with a long rest specified as being a good night's sleep with study/prayer/meditation... pretty much how spells, lay on hands, and other relevant abilities were recovered in 1E.

Corwin

Explorer
The main problem I see on the discussion is that balancing classes this way makes the game unbalanced unless you follow a very specific short vs long rest ratio (1 long for every 2 short in 5e case), and not following these guidelines has leaded to a lot of threads in this forum complaining that short rest classes are underpowered (especially about the Warlock and the Fighter).
Or, "balance" is a spoon. And there is no spoon. What if the only real "balance" that really matters is in spotlight time? Then, all of this handwringing over making sure rests are fair to different classes can fall away as inconsequential.

IMO, one way is too treat the symptoms. But another is to cure the disease. A healthy table, with no disease, has no symptoms.

S

Sunseeker

I think having more smaller abilities that recharge more often is better than a few high-powered abilities that recharge less often.

S

Sunseeker

Or, "balance" is a spoon. And there is no spoon. What if the only real "balance" that really matters is in spotlight time? Then, all of this handwringing over making sure rests are fair to different classes can fall away as inconsequential.

IMO, one way is too treat the symptoms. But another is to cure the disease. A healthy table, with no disease, has no symptoms.

Spotlight time is meaningless if "spotlight" for class A means whooping bad guys for breakfast and "spotlight" for class B is scouting. Eventually what spotlight in an unbalanced game turns into is either everyone plays the "good" class, ie: the one with more powerful abilities, more skills and more survivability all the time, or everyone gets relegated to non-participation in parts of the game where their class is not the "spotlight" class.

Frankly, if you deride balance in a game, I don't think you understand what balance actually means.

Corwin

Explorer
Spotlight time is meaningless if "spotlight" for class A means whooping bad guys for breakfast and "spotlight" for class B is scouting.
First, you have a huge "IF" there. I caught that. Besides that, not only is what you say unproveable, but absurd. Unless you are saying a player, who wants to focus on whooping bad guys is instead being told to be great at scouting. But that's not a balance issue, either.

Eventually what spotlight in an unbalanced game turns into is either everyone plays the "good" class, ie: the one with more powerful abilities, more skills and more survivability all the time, or everyone gets relegated to non-participation in parts of the game where their class is not the "spotlight" class.
More baseless nonesense. Are you talking about 5e still? I have to say that your statements are leading me to believe you are quite unfamiliar with 5e.

Frankly, if you deride balance in a game, I don't think you understand what balance actually means.
Fascinating, given what you just posted.

S

Sunseeker

First, you have a huge "IF" there. I caught that. Besides that, not only is what you say unproveable, but absurd. Unless you are saying a player, who wants to focus on whooping bad guys is instead being told to be great at scouting. But that's not a balance issue, either.
You caught something I wasn't trying to hide. Good for you.

Your second line just falls right into my second point.

More baseless nonesense. Are you talking about 5e still? I have to say that your statements are leading me to believe you are quite unfamiliar with 5e.
I'm talking about arguments against "balance" by people who don't understand what balance is about. How much I play 5e is irrelevent because the post you originally made was system-non-specific.

ccs

41st lv DM
Spotlight time is meaningless if "spotlight" for class A means whooping bad guys for breakfast and "spotlight" for class B is scouting.

I'm the DM. It's my job to make whooping bad guys for breakfast, scouting, & whatever else the PCs do, equally entertaining & relevant to the story we're forming.
It takes practice. And as it's not an exact science I don't always get the mix right. But I must get it right often enough because my players keep whooping, scouting, & other stuff.

Just because I don't belong to the cult of balance & bow down at its alter doesn't mean I don't understand it.

S

Sunseeker

I'm the DM. It's my job to make whooping bad guys for breakfast, scouting, & whatever else the PCs do, equally entertaining & relevant to the story we're forming.
It takes practice. And as it's not an exact science I don't always get the mix right. But I must get it right often enough because my players keep whooping, scouting, & other stuff.
I'm the DM too and I often find it odd that people complain about balance, and then literally work to create balance. You wouldn't give one player all the spotlight would you? No? Then you created balance. Good job.

Just because I don't belong to the cult of balance & bow down at its alter doesn't mean I don't understand it.

Calling something a cult because a lot of people support is an it has found wide acceptance in gaming tends to be a poor argument that it is invalid. Considering how much work you put in to achieving balance in your game, it really does beg the question.

ccs

41st lv DM
I guess I would like the game based around a different ratio. A very 1e style. Wich, given that 1e is still my favorite edition, shouldn't be much of a surprise....
Long rests stay exactly as they are. Except for maybe the full healing bit.
Short rest things turn into x uses/day. Maybe base this off of the prof. bonus?

Remove ads