D&D 3E/3.5 New body slot( dentures )

Celebrim

Legend
There is precedent in 1e for this sort of thing. The Teeth of Dahlver-Nar work by knocking out your own teeth and replacing them with the rotting cavity filled artifacts that then graft irrevocably to your jaw.

Dentures are in this weird area that varies wildly between comic camp and body horror depending on how you present them.

Most obviously, magic dentures might provide you with a bite attack or a breath weapon. As body horror, they might have shapechanging effects - often irrevocable. For example, if you put the wolf dentures in your mouth, you might find yourself transformed into a werewolf.

Cursed dentures might provoke you to biting nearby comrades uncontrollably, or cause you to have a hungering for raw flesh or even human flesh, or simply say embarrassing things of their own accord in a case of magically induced Tourette's syndrome.

More light hearted, a set of magical dentures might adhere to the person's mouth - "fix it and forget it" - alleviating any need for springs or denture adhesives. Dentures of this sort, which require scarcely more enchantment than a cantrip, might be commonly available to elderly aristocrats in a high magic setting.

But in general, other than the comfort of the aged upper class in some cases, I wouldn't think that the cost of enchanting dentures would be worth the value that they'd provide, and so wouldn't expect there be much demand for magical dentures in any setting that was in any fashion trying to be believable. Such items would tend to be rare or even unique, and their creators would tend to be equally eccentric. From a balance standpoint, I'd certainly price such items as 'slotless' even if the flavor indicated that you could only wear one at a time.

Dandu

First Post
There is precedent in 1e for this sort of thing. The Teeth of Dahlver-Nar work by knocking out your own teeth and replacing them with the rotting cavity filled artifacts that then graft irrevocably to your jaw.

I thought those were from the 3.5e book Tome of Magic?

I played a barbarian that had his teeth removed and replaced with adamantine teeth, giving him a bite attack. I think we treated it like a magical graft and it did not take up a body slot. I had an amulet and a face item with the teeth. Later, I enchanted the teeth so they would be magical (+1).

Morphile

Villager
Well, I'd have them be slotless, instead of being a slot of their own, for the sake of multi-headed creatures. Let's not repeat the issue with the Neck and Head slots... Hydra PCs need all the help they can get.

At any rate, I'd have them be a general mundane weapon category, with their own magical weapon enhancements that relate to being installed in the mouth in a largely permanent fashion. Also, having them alter Bite Attack statlines instead of being given a statline of their own. Added crit range, instead of base crit range. Added size categories for damage, instead of base damage. Then have the exclusive item enhancements relate directly to stuff that comes from Bites. Poisons and diseases applied by Bites getting DC and effect buffs, as a very basic example. As well as Breath Weapon stuff, including a Metabreath setup that lets you apply whatever you feel like from basically all the meta-whatever things to the Breath Weapon.

Edit: Also bite-related stuff like temp HP as a Vampirism thing or improved Wight creation methods.

Gray Lensman

Explorer
Teeth of Tongues? Tongues x/day or at will? Functions as the spell.

Teeth of Sociability? Provide a bonus to the social skills?

I don't really do Magic Item Creation so I will stop here.

just a thought
YMMV

Remove ads