Do you have an FLGS?

Do you have an FLGS?

• Yes

Votes: 62 80.5%
  • No

Votes: 15 19.5%

I have to say I'm surprised that a place the size of Southampton (that's where you are, right?) doesn't have a dedicated RPG/CCG shop.
It's really interesting, it's not the size of the place that drives the number of stores.

Phoenix metro area, ~5th largest city in the US, with about 4.5 million people, only has 2 TTRPG (or close to it) shops. There are lots of comic shops, video and game stores. But every few years I go and look for a real FLGS, I can only find Imperial Outpost and one other (which seems to come and go every few years, currently a Games Workshop store).

Based on what others have said in there areas, I would expect ~10 FLGSs, but not the case. And I don't know why.

I wonder if there is a trend with milder winters?
Maybe, but we also have brutal summers that keep people inside. Though we do have a relatively low population density (Phoenix suburban area is 50?? miles in diameter.)

Perhaps there is a cultural attitude? More online purchasers? More online players? Less community and more isolated groups? I don't know. I find it interesting though.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
It's really interesting, it's not the size of the place that drives the number of stores.

Phoenix metro area, ~5th largest city in the US, with about 4.5 million people, only has 2 TTRPG (or close to it) shops. There are lots of comic shops, video and game stores. But every few years I go and look for a real FLGS, I can only find Imperial Outpost and one other (which seems to come and go every few years, currently a Games Workshop store).

Based on what others have said in there areas, I would expect ~10 FLGSs, but not the case. And I don't know why.
How big and-or dominant is Imperial Outpost?

I ask because a similar situation exists in Vancouver, a fairly big city in which there's really only one noteworthy FLGS: Imperial Hobbies. It's big enough and diverse enough that anything else really can't compete, though some have tried. I think but am not sure a similar situation exists in Calgary, where the Sentry Box dominates.

Here in Victoria, about 1/10 the size of Vancouver, we have several places: Curious Comics x 2 (though they've recently slashed back their gaming line), Skyhaven Games, Yellowjacket (best MtG place ever, also has a bit of RPG stuff); and Vorpal Gnome for used and-or old-school.

Vancouver, though, does have one most excellent thing that most of us (sadly) don't: a gaming-themed pub called the Stormcrow Tavern.

Lan-"this world needs more pubs like the Stormcrow"-efan

How big and-or dominant is Imperial Outpost?

I ask because a similar situation exists in Vancouver, a fairly big city in which there's really only one noteworthy FLGS: Imperial Hobbies. It's big enough and diverse enough that anything else really can't compete, though some have tried. I think but am not sure a similar situation exists in Calgary, where the Sentry Box dominates...
I don't think that's it. It is a pretty big place, two store fronts, so about 60 feet wide and 50 deep? And it's really not much more than a bunch of tables, some with war game terrain and then some card displays and book shelves around the edges. And, last time I went they did not charge for table space or time. They do have a reasonable selection, TTRPG, CCG, War games, etc and even something of a snack bar. But it amazes me they stay open quite honestly.

Those 4.5 million people are spread out and Imp Outpost is probably an hour drive for at least half of them (more in rush hour), it's not centrally located. There used to be another place across town from IO that was big and well known, but it closed ~10 years ago.

Silver Moon

Adventurer
Yes, despite being in a small New Hampshire town of 10,000, we have our own FLGS. It is named "Pop Culture" and the focus is gaming. They have multiple games every night, the primary ones being Pathfinder and Magic the Gathering.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
I have a couple; one is a comic shop that carries minis and RPG stuff and hosts the weekly AL game I play in. The other is a dedicated game store, though it caters mostly to wargamers, but it has tables up for grabs and that's where we play when I'm RUNNING the game. Both of those stores are <10 minutes from my house.

There are at least a few more within a half hour to an hour away. One is a gigantic "your whole childhood from the late 70s and 80s on sale" store, which is also a comic shop but is just gigantic. They have a decent RPG section and a smaller room with gaming tables. Another is a wargaming-focused store that carries RPG stuff too. There are probably more.

This isn't even counting chain stores in the mall that Avery RPG stuff. And oh yeah, there's another game store - mostly board games but has a decent stock of RPG stuff - about half an hour away in the other direction.

Last edited:

Badvoc

Explorer
Beanie Games in Stockton-on-Tees probably qualifies as my nearest FLGS. It's a great place for all day gaming sessions on a weekend - lots of available table space as well of food and drink available. Like most places, it's predominantly a boardgame & CCG store, but has a respectable shelf of RPG books for sale and seems to have a few regular RPG groups in attendance.

KeithL

First Post
Over in Seattle, USA we've got a ton. Most are gastropub and board game combo stores though.
Ray gun lounge with pinball machines and beer, Mox boarding house with two locations, Games and Gizmo's (now attached as part of a private club Vern and Wells) and a few comic stores with games as well.
I think we've got it pretty good over here :)

I seem to be seeing quite a difference of opinion on what constitutes a store with a good RPG selection. The only one I've seen that fits the bill in decades (not that I've done a lot of looking) is Guardian Games in Portland. (Granted, it has an extremely good selection rather than just "good".) But a couple of shelves isn't a good selection to me. My hometown in the US Midwest used to have one with a good selection in the 90s. This is before CCGs dominated everything, and before boardgames invaded gaming stores. It really does feel like RPGs have been pushed to the side in the stores. Oddly, the amount of wargaming products available doesn't seem to have taken the same hit as RPGs.

Over in Seattle, USA we've got a ton. Most are gastropub and board game combo stores though.
Ray gun lounge with pinball machines and beer, Mox boarding house with two locations, Games and Gizmo's (now attached as part of a private club Vern and Wells) and a few comic stores with games as well.
I think we've got it pretty good over here :)

Mox is okay. I wouldn't really say they have a good selection (unless the second location has more). I'd say it's a decent sampler. The atmosphere there seems pretty cool though. I asked about the area over on another thread a little while ago.

Remove ads